• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Welcome to Wolves Will Randall

I would say we should be looking for youth recruitment from above, not lower level.
Yes you can find the odd gem (Vardy being the standout) but how many have we brought in from League One and Two who have just dissappeared?
Jordan Graham came in from ?Villa? and Oxford seem to of got a bargain with Roofe from that there Bromwich

However, welcome Will...Go prove me wrong on this one and have a cracking career at Molineux

Iorfa and Hause have come from the lower leagues.

The only way you'll be able to sign youngsters from above is when they've had attitude issues or serious injuries ala Graham, Hunter or the centre half we had last season (Swan?).

Plenty of players who've featured for England over the past couple of years have come up from the lower leagues. You've got Hart, Stones, Smalling, Ox, Alli, Walcott, Shelvey, Delph, Ings, Austin and now Vardy.

There's plenty of talent down there.

Interesting that (according to the E&S at least) he spoke with Nathan Byrne prior, who had nothing but good things to say about the club.

Wasn't Byrne one of the Wallace tweeters?

Youth recruitment and first team improvement really don't have to be mutually exclusive anyway. With a few shekel banging around from the Afobe deal you would expect us to at least do something in terms of first team incoming players. No idea what, but definitely something.

Signing Randall doesn't make that more or less likely. He was highly thought of at Swindon. To me it seems a decent bit of business. I will review my stance on that and probably be far more critical if fuck all else happens before February 2nd, but that won't be because of the qualities of Randall, it will because of the fucking enormous Afobe-shaped hole in our first team.

Hopefully he is a more successful "bright, young prospect" than Saville, Rowe, Wallace etc. With only 9 first team appearances to his name at a lower level, it looks like we'll have to be patient with this one.

Best of luck, Will.

Is that down to KJ not wanting to play KT's signings, though. All of Byrne, Wallace and possibly Saville look decent prospects, but never given a chance. Why?

I'm not talking about the best clubs in world football, it's a club that's somewhat struggling in the Championship. Plenty of time to add to the youth system (which we already have a good quantity of players) once the first team has the players to make a push forward.
You do know it's not an either/or...?

Is that down to KJ not wanting to play KT's signings, though. All of Byrne, Wallace and possibly Saville look decent prospects, but never given a chance. Why?

Really confused by this. Byrne has surely shown enough that he can offer a few things. I quite like his as a footballer. He should have more game time than he's had.

Bloody hell Paddy let them go at it man.. Its fun.

In the case of Byrne and Wallace it's because he defaults back to what he knows, especially when results are indifferent. For whatever reason he values what Edwards and Henry bring to the team even though we can see that the former has none of the qualities required to play that position and with Henry we can see he's barely had a good game in the last three months. I genuinely think he's blind to it, Henry has been producing very little by way of good service from the right, we all know that Edwards has no creativity and isn't even a very good goalscorer, but he thinks they're standout performers. Very frustrating, especially as it flies in the face of all the available evidence. You wouldn't mind if the alternatives were tried and didn't perform, but they're given a game or two here and there at best and swiftly dumped back on the bench if there's not an immediate return, whereas those two get given more or less unlimited opportunities. I have no doubt Graham would have been chucked back into the U21s if he hadn't started producing straight away.

Saville is a strange one, like he bought him without really thinking about how to use him. We already had four players to fill the two central midfield spots in our 4-2-3-1 when we signed him last season, and he's miscast him as a number 10 on a couple of occasions when he has actually picked him. Then he's said he could fit a 4-3-3 system but we've rarely set up that way.

I am just asking you to refrain from an insult, even if it is hidden behind asterisks. Both sides can debate the points, but there is no need for either of you to attack each other.

double standards again shown on here - some folk can say whatever they want.
no problem i'll keep off forum

In the case of Byrne and Wallace it's because he defaults back to what he knows, especially when results are indifferent. For whatever reason he values what Edwards and Henry bring to the team even though we can see that the former has none of the qualities required to play that position and with Henry we can see he's barely had a good game in the last three months. I genuinely think he's blind to it, Henry has been producing very little by way of good service from the right, we all know that Edwards has no creativity and isn't even a very good goalscorer, but he thinks they're standout performers. Very frustrating, especially as it flies in the face of all the available evidence. You wouldn't mind if the alternatives were tried and didn't perform, but they're given a game or two here and there at best and swiftly dumped back on the bench if there's not an immediate return, whereas those two get given more or less unlimited opportunities. I have no doubt Graham would have been chucked back into the U21s if he hadn't started producing straight away.

Saville is a strange one, like he bought him without really thinking about how to use him. We already had four players to fill the two central midfield spots in our 4-2-3-1 when we signed him last season, and he's miscast him as a number 10 on a couple of occasions when he has actually picked him. Then he's said he could fit a 4-3-3 system but we've rarely set up that way.

Byrne against Bristol was a very strange one. First half he was the best player on the pitch, he then substituted him at half time and came out with a cock and bull story that he was injured, where someone spoke to him after the game and he said he wasn't.

And at half time in that game we changed to a wing back formation, with him being possibly the only player used to that system and position in the squad, and was still taken off.

Back