• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

West Ham 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

It doesn't go through any defenders legs

We had quite a few shots that they got good blocks on. Whereas when the table were turned Semedo allows him inside to shoot and then Dawson doesn’t block it either. Similar with the one off the post from Bowen.

Bentley absolutely should save it, but can’t get over how bad that first goal is

Even if we accept that, Bentley was weirdly far off his line, was cheating to his right too much, and fell over more than dove.

Even if we accept that, Bentley was weirdly far off his line, was cheating to his right too much, and fell over more than dove.
Position was fine when the shot was taken. Basically where he should be on a quick counter attack goal attempt. Just awful reaction to the shot.

Well that was fucking appalling from minute 1. The set up was all over the place, we got on the counter 3 times and our keeper has turned back into a human sieve. Stats make it look a close game but in truth it wasn’t, West Ham didn’t have to get out of first gear because they’ve got a couple of very good players but we just gave it them on a plate anyway.

Firstly on the set up, back 4 when we have the ball with Toti and Semedo pushing on, why? Both can’t attack, just get them to sit. But then centre backs on their wrong foot playing out so everything has to just go central or back to Bentley. Without possession a back four that was set up like a 5 because Toti was so narrow but Bellegarde wasn’t in a wide position and the overload with Coufal so easy for them but that didn’t lead to any goals somehow.

Bentley - Two good saves against Burnley but he’s nowhere near the level. We were bad today but with a half decent keeper we probably only lose by 1 or could have got back in to it.

Semedo - When’s he’s good we seem to be good but has more bad games than good now. People used to say Marcal was where attacks die, just see Nelson now. No positivity or conviction. Also can’t defend a ball to the back post and struggling 1v1 a lot more now.

Kilman - Just a nothing player really bar one challenge in the second half. Safe and never going to spark a team into life. Will never get over not taking the £30m.

Dawson - Really bad on the ball first half and not aggressive enough. Being ill gives him a bit of a reason.

Toti - Dropped off a cliff in the last few games. Looked like a fish out of water on and off the ball. No way Mosquera is worse than all of these 3 surely.

Hwang - Pointless playing right midfield, too deep to be effective with his skillset and another who just didn’t know what was being asked of him.

Lemina - Definitely not his usual self, again illness makes sense but we need him back 100 next week.

Gomes - Meh. So excited when he came in, tackled, ran, drove forward. He was all action. He’s now just a body in midfield that wins the odd tackle and isn’t sure when to drive us forward.

Bellegarde - No game understanding at all. Absolutely clattered by Coufal twice but still was nowhere near good enough. Where does he play?

Sarabia - Some nice touches but not enough and can’t get around the pitch. Another player we really don’t know how to use. He’s got to be narrow.

Cunha - The one player who looked like he was going to do something. Still not aggressive enough when he picks the ball up, first thought should be can i run at the centre backs not who can i give it to. Needs players with him (Neto) but we can’t rely so heavily on them 2.

Subs

RAN - Good to have him back. Allows us to progress the ball down the left better. Need to keep him fit.

Doyle - Didn’t really do anything.

Doherty - I hope we’re not paying for the caravan he’s towing as well. Embarrassing shape he’s in for a premier league footballer. Tried closing down late on right by us and it was horrific to watch.

I think GON has done better than i thought he would, he’s still very inexperienced so you expect things to not be perfect but the one thing i keep coming back to is what’s our style of play and what does he want it to be. I couldn’t tell you and for me managers at this level should have a way of playing and their teams should have an identity. Maybe that changes with the January window but we need a lot of changes still for whatever it is.

I think GON has done better than i thought he would, he’s still very inexperienced so you expect things to not be perfect but the one thing i keep coming back to is what’s our style of play and what does he want it to be. I couldn’t tell you and for me managers at this level should have a way of playing and their teams should have an identity. Maybe that changes with the January window but we need a lot of changes still for whatever it is.

Agree with pretty much all of your post anyway - but this is what is worrying me most about the coaching team.

Where do we start in terms of bringing new players? So many substandard performers. A striker who can push defenders around a bit and score is obviously needed, but I think a ball playing mobile CM should also be a priority.

In fact midfield is a real problem area for me, unless you include Neto. Lemina is a sort of box to box but not a runner or creator, Gomes just breaks up play, Doyle is a good passer but immobile, Traore is a combination of Lemina and Gomes. None of them link well with our strikers.

I guess a lack of quality is no real surprise considering how many good players we let go in the summer.

I thought just getting through last season was critical, but now feel that this is going to be the status quo best case scenario. I appreciate that any Premier League season is arguably good for Wolves, but its all pretty stale and depressing at the moment, and very unenjoyable bar the pre-match drink.

Where do we start in terms of bringing new players? So many substandard performers. A striker who can push defenders around a bit and score is obviously needed, but I think a ball playing mobile CM should also be a priority.

In fact midfield is a real problem area for me, unless you include Neto. Lemina is a sort of box to box but not a runner or creator, Gomes just breaks up play, Doyle is a good passer but immobile, Traore is a combination of Lemina and Gomes. None of them link well with our strikers.

I guess a lack of quality is no real surprise considering how many good players we let go in the summer.

I thought just getting through last season was critical, but now feel that this is going to be the status quo best case scenario. I appreciate that any Premier League season is arguably good for Wolves, but its all pretty stale and depressing at the moment, and very unenjoyable bar the pre-match drink.
We just don't have any options up front atm, Fabio and Sasa need to be cleared out and a competent striker/forward brought in. Hwang has done well this season but is inconsistent in general play. Obviously we have Neto to come back but we can't just rely on him.

My first away game of the season, not exactly the best one to go to. Very rarely does a manager get it as badly wrong as O'Neil did yesterday. I'm really struggling to see what made him set us up like he did, it was obvious what was going to happen from the first whistle.

I get wanting to defend in a 5, you're more compact and there's less space for Old Man Dawson to cover, but you've got to pick players capable of playing that formation. Poor Jean-Richner Bellegarde didn't know whether he was coming or going.

Our rest defence and defensive transition were all over the place. Bellegarde pushed up, Toti stuck between two positions, nobody sure who's supposed to be on Paqueta. That's the obvious issue when you're playing a weird hybrid formation, the players need to be 100% clear on their positioning and they weren't today. Not helped by João Gomes playing like he was in a K hole and Bellegarde/Semedo never being open for a switch pass, it meant our biggest weaknesses were constantly being exposed.

For about half an hour after the restart we actually looked quite good, built a fair bit of pressure (obviously helped by WHU sitting back), looked to be getting Sarabia and Cunha into good areas, were nullifying any counter attacks and scored a well worked goal which was unfortunately just offside. I get the need to throw on more attacking players when you're chasing a 2 goal lead but I didn't think the change in formation was necessary, it was a huge gamble and 3 minutes after he made it the ball was in the back of the net again from a counter down that side.

O'Neil's in game and squad management leaves a hell of a lot to be desired. The news that Dawson & Lemina were suffering from illness and still played yesterday was just ridiculous. I don't believe players like S.Bueno, Kalajdzic, Doyle, Boubacar etc are so far behind the starting XI that they can't be called upon. It's totally bizarre. Only 3 subs again yesterday and 2 of them in the 80th minute once the game was already dead. Why? I can't get my head around it. Surely they can see that running these players into the ground during the busy Xmas period is inevitably going to lead to dropped points?

A special word for Bentley though who is clearly nowhere near good enough to be a back up at this level. He shouldn't be here past the end of the season.

We just don't have any options up front atm, Fabio and Sasa need to be cleared out and a competent striker/forward brought in. Hwang has done well this season but is inconsistent in general play. Obviously we have Neto to come back but we can't just rely on him.

Kalajdzic is more than competent enough to play a role at this level. It's crazy that we're not using him.

On the style discussion, I'd argue we had one when Neto was fit. Simplistic, heavily reliant on one player and the opposition playing a high line, but the plan was there even Villa recognised it and changed the way they play to combat it. Your system shouldn't be so one player dependant, but at least you knew then what we were trying to do. Yesterday's attacking plan wasn't particularly transparent.

On the style discussion, I'd argue we had one when Neto was fit. Simplistic, heavily reliant on one player and the opposition playing a high line, but the plan was there even Villa recognised it and changed the way they play to combat it. Your system shouldn't be so one player dependant, but at least you knew then what we were trying to do. Yesterday's attacking plan wasn't particularly transparent.

It was heavily reliant on Neto, but we did have other avenues too, such as Cunha, who since then has improved his influence too.

Kalajdzic is more than competent enough to play a role at this level. It's crazy that we're not using him.
Oh I agree he's good enough if used in the right way but GON won't play him so there's no point him being here. If he can't get on for 15 minutes yesterday he's doomed.

Not that it matters as it was offside any way, but did he draw the blue line from the defender's boot?

Well yes obviously but I'm talking about this:

Y4vuc5yP_o.jpg

Well yes obviously but I'm talking about this:

Y4vuc5yP_o.jpg
Yeah sorry, it was even my post originally :ROFLMAO:

His feet do look abnormal there, also I do wonder how when a players foot is floating like that, that's its perfectly perpendicular.

Back