• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

West Ham 3-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

The Bear

Euro 2012 PTG Champion
Staff member
Reaction score

Massively poor and frustrating performance not helped by four at the back out of the blue away from home. Really sloppy defending and passing throughout the 90 mins. All three goals came from our attack or poor pass.

We had more rest and preparation for this game yet West Ham showed more desire and commitment in both boxes which isn't acceptable. I'm not a fan of shuffling our players away from their most effective positions either, i.e Hwang out to the right and Toti out to LB.

Kilman probably the best of a bad bunch today. Not exactly a high bar but didn't do much wrong.

Less said about Bentley the better. Not responsible, but poor on all three goals.

Last edited:
Shit result off the back of some incredibly poor goalkeeping.

Don't think we were as awful as some do, but GO's subs continue to be confusing at best, crippling at worst. We can't afford to keep cutting our own legs out from under us like that.

Bury it. Also, find a new goalkeeper.

Hopefully we won't see a 4 again as I don't think we can play it. Yes, Bentley has to do better but one ball cut through us like a knife through butter, and we were actually lucky to go in at half time at 2-0.

It's not a good look that a team thats had as many consecutive seasons at this level as we have still has to play 5 at the back though.

We are incredibly lucky that the three promoted clubs are very poor so will stay up this season but we desperately need a couple of additions that are first team ready. We have a squad of about 13 players good enough for the PL and if recruitment doesn’t improve dramatically from this summer it won’t end well next season.

5/10 all round apart from Bentley. No Wolves player deserves being given MOTM.

Really poor today, particularly at the back.

West Ham were competent and tbh I thought they could have had more goals if they wanted them. They showed us how to counter attack effectively and how much difference it makes with an accurate, swift through ball.

As for us, we didn't look like a Premier League side today. Far too many poor passes and aside from a decent spell at the start of the 2nd half, we didn't show anywhere near enough intent going forward. Fabianski was barely tested.

We can't allow teams to have that easy a time against us, so weak in all areas at times and the defence is a major concern.

Not going to say too much about Bentley as anyone with eyes can see he's not good enough on today's evidence.

You simply cannot have a first half like that. Badly set up, awful in possession, giving away crap goals and playing at 60% pace. We improved a bit after HT - as West Ham did their Moyes thing of sitting on a lead - but another horror show of a goal and it's all over.

No issues with the disallowed goal other than VAR taking an inexplicable amount of time, I thought it was offside before he even put it in the net.

Poor stuff and both 4 and 5 at the back cause us issues, there's no balancing act (at least until Neto comes back). We have to stop this hybrid stuff, pick one and go with it. We don't have good enough players in or out of possession to switch around like that.

Coufal should have walked but doubt it would have mattered.

Bentley: Awful, awful, awful. Somehow we got away with his Brad Jones impression off crosses. Absolutely dismal "effort" on the first that's more or less down the middle. Not great on the other two and a spectator when Bowen hit the post.

Semedo: Half-arsed in that shocking first half. Probably should have shot on the disallowed goal, the space was there.

Dawson: You know what he is. You know what he can and can't do. Accordingly he looked poor when Bowen ran directly at him or there was any ball in behind.

Kilman: Slow and tepid, causes us a load of issues. How can you have an allegedly £30m+ CH and captain who can only play if he has a load of cover around him, who can't lead or inspire, who is so limited on the ball? Not for me, ta.

Toti: Second successive shocker from him, particularly dreadful on the second goal. Whichever formation we play over Christmas, he probably shouldn't be involved.

Lemina: Tried hard but was covering far too much ground because...

J Gomes: Had a very poor game, as he did vs Fulham and Burnley. He's got a load of ability and he's still very young but this wasn't anywhere near the level required. George Saville quality on the ball and Darren Ferguson quality off it.

Bellegarde: Fish out of water in the weird role we had him starting in. There's something there to work with but we haven't remotely sussed out where to use it.

Sarabia: Did at least try to get attacks going if nothing else.

Cunha: Easily our best player on the day. Kept going and the only genuine threat on the ball.

Hwang: If he's not scoring then he frequently looks pointless. Starting him wide right is daft as he pretty much always looks awful there. Got absolutely nothing right first half.

Subs: Badly executed, you're telling me it's not worth trying Sasa in that situation, even for 20 minutes? But no Gal, you bring on Matt Doherty. I love watching someone who couldn't play at RB 10 years ago in L1 try to do in the PL in 2023.

Away form has gone to shit and we need to step it up, relegation shouldn't be anywhere near the agenda but we cannot show up like that. It's nowhere near good enough.

Shit result off the back of some incredibly poor goalkeeping.

Don't think we were as awful as some do, but GO's subs continue to be confusing at best, crippling at worst. We can't afford to keep cutting our own legs out from under us like that.

Bury it. Also, find a new goalkeeper.
We’re not close to good at the moment Al, we’re close to bad. So close in fact you might be forgiven for thinking we are.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a four at the back again when we play another team who come to block, but it’s mysterious we did it in this game and not in the last two. We made it very easy for West Ham who never needed to get out of second gear.

Not sure what people thought looked OK going forward. I thought we looked equally bad across the pitch, but lame defence gets punished with lame goals while up top it’s a less visible outcome. We weren’t good enough to be obviously missing howlers.

Where to start, some tidy neat stuff up until the penalty box but little after that.
3-0 makes it look like WHU battered us which they really didn’t but they were just a lot better in the 2/3 of the pitch where it matters so deserved the win.
2/3 goals Bentley should be saving and he clearly needs to moved out the firing line asap.
Last 4 away games have been very poor
Sheff Utd 1-2
Fulham 2-3
Arsenal 1-2
West Ham 0-3

The last 2 wev’ve been good value for defeat the first 2 you could argue VAR did us but even still the performances were poor.
The performance levels have distinctly worryingly theme to them and the fact we keep chasing games is no coincidence.
Reality is we can probably afford a poor run without it affecting our status but we need to be careful.

1.14 xG for West Ham. Kudus' first goal and Bowen's goal had xGs of 0.05 and 0.06 respectively FFS.

We desperately need a reserve keeper. Bentley was hopeless and what does GoN see in Doc. We ought to have been fresher than them today and much stronger in the last 20 mins but we were not. Things might have been better if Coufal had been sent off for a violent challenge on Bellgarde but although we had a lot of the ball in the first 30 minutes of the second half we rarely looked like breaking them down. We will need to be much better next week against an improving Chelsea.

That was as poor as we have been all season, no attacking threat and cut open at will on 3 occasions, the only one to come out of that with any credit was Cunha, Bentley showed why he isn't a number one goalie, the whole back four were absolute garbage, Gomez at least put a shift in, Lemina a poor mans version of Ruben, Sarabia as many passes to a Wet Spam shirt as Wolves players, and Hwang, was he actually on the pitch?. GON again to slow with the subs could have made any number of changes at HT but probably thought we couldn't be as bad in the second 45. It's time to forget 4 at the back with the current crop of defenders as we are simply to slow, need a couple of pacy defenders before we try 4 at the back again, lucky that it was only three.

I must be the only one who thought Kilman was decent today. Defended everything well, and wasn't at fault for any of the goals either.

P.S. I've started using Fotmob stats in the first post now instead of BBCs, as it has xG info and shotmaps.

Back