• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Winter Improvement Thread (aka Winter Squad Weakening Thread and TWF Suicide Watch)

He's off then. Not really a hands-off warning. Basically saying "We want him to stay but if a big bid comes in we will have to look at it" Translation - "Let's start the bidding, gentlemen"

I find it sad that Wolves have degenerated to this level. Nothing to do with the owner now this is just rank bad management by everybody involved at the club.

He's off then. Not really a hands-off warning. Basically saying "We want him to stay but if a big bid comes in we will have to look at it" Translation - "Let's start the bidding, gentlemen"

I reckon he will go for 3.5 mill raising to 4 mill with add-ons.

If the right offer comes in then he will go. It's the same at every club, even in the premier league. Liverpool didn't want to sell Sterling but the offer was too big to turn down.

I'll be seriously pissed off if we sell Iorfa in the summer. Not surprised, but pissed off.

I'll be seriously pissed off if we sell Iorfa in the summer. Not surprised, but pissed off.

I'll be seriously pissed off if we sell "insert name of best player for the previous season here" in the summer. Not surprised, but pissed of.

That should go on a T shirt given that we have successfully lost Sako (top scorer out of contract)last Summer Stearman last summer (pots) Afobe top scorer 2015 ( winter) and realistically not replaced them with the similar or better quality to any noticeable extent.

If the right offer comes in then he will go. It's the same at every club, even in the premier league. Liverpool didn't want to sell Sterling but the offer was too big to turn down.

The problem isnt that the problem is us potentially rolling over for the first bid. If Iorfa went for 3-4m it woukd be a disgrace because Tyrone Mings set a precedent with his fee and Iorfa has international experience Mings does not. Supporters arw quite right to be anxious that a fee half of that paid for a lesser player is being floated.

I'll be seriously pissed off if we sell "insert name of best player for the previous season here" in the summer. Not surprised, but pissed of.

That should go on a T shirt given that we have successfully lost Sako (top scorer out of contract)last Summer Stearman last summer (pots) Afobe top scorer 2015 ( winter) and realistically not replaced them with the similar or better quality to any noticeable extent.

I can understand the reasons why all of those players were sold (or in Sako's case left at the end of his contract). There is no reason to sell Iorfa though unless he really wants to go and we get a good price for him. We wont though, he'll go for less than we think he's worth and we'll waste the money on players that our manager won't play.

How has it come to this? As Johnny says, it's just pathetic "management" from everyone involved. Jackett and Moxey seem to have persuaded most fans that this culture of mediocrity is acceptable. Make no mistake, as things stand we are heading for a serious relegation battle next year.

The club have set the tone by not putting the manager under any pressure whatsoever despite unspeakably horrendous football, what's likely to be the worst home record we've had at this level in a quarter of a century, several runs of dreadful form that by rights gets managers sacked in normal circumstances (including our current run of 3 wins in 18 games) and strange decision after strange decision. If you decide that mediocrity is acceptable then it's an extremely slippery slope.

I haven't expected Iorfa to be here next season for quite some time. Even when he signed a new contract.

The club have set the tone by not putting the manager under any pressure whatsoever despite unspeakably horrendous football, what's likely to be the worst home record we've had at this level in a quarter of a century, several runs of dreadful form that by rights gets managers sacked in normal circumstances (including our current run of 3 wins in 18 games) and strange decision after strange decision. If you decide that mediocrity is acceptable then it's an extremely slippery slope.

I haven't expected Iorfa to be here next season for quite some time. Even when he signed a new contract.

It's the first time I can remember off the top of my head a manager not being under pressure from anywhere when underperforming so badly. Saunders, Solbakken, McCarthy all felt it. Hoddle jumping seemed like a relief for the board so they didn't have to pull the trigger early in the season, Jones felt it, likewise back to Taylor being hounded it by the fans. Admittedly I don't get to games that often, but from what I've heard Jackett seems to be getting an easy (easier) ride from fans than previous managers, along with zero pressure from the board.

Seems to me that this is Moxeys way of showing he is the best in the business and he can understand things that mere mortal fans could never comprehend.

It's diabolical leadership.

1) He's been in this position before where the club is up for sale and/or not receiving any further funding from the owner. First up when he first came in and Sir Jack was only allowing us to spend what we brought in through player sales, secondly post-2004 relegation when the club was explicitly up for sale. Both times he barely kept the club ticking over, sold off playing assets, allowed the team to drift into mid-table stagnation, crowds dipped and the football was rubbish. So what does he do this time? Exactly the same thing. For a bloke entrusted with running the club, with two decades' experience, who has seen the consequences of that (in)action previously, on £500k a year...inexcusable.

2) He deals in inapposite comparisons, I don't doubt at some point he'll roll out the old chestnut about how we gave Mick three years in this division and it worked out in the end, the difference being we finished 2007/8 with 26 points from our final 14 games and Mick's major January 2008 signing in SEB looked the business. We've picked up 14 points from our last 14 games to date this year and Ken's major January 2016 signing in Mason looks overpriced and ill suited to how we normally set up. Doubtless he'll also point to "sacking managers getting you nowhere" after the Feb 2012 - May 2013 shambles; just because YOU made awful decisions as a club previously doesn't mean that the concept of sacking managers altogether is flawed. Plenty of examples where clubs have made a change and it's been for the better. Even in this division, this season.

3) He doesn't understand football, he'll look at it and say it's been a transitional season, players sold/injured, we haven't really been that near relegation so not a disaster and we can move on next year. Fine in theory, but anyone who has the misfortune to watch us regularly (like me) will know how bad our football is, how miniscule our goal threat is, that - as stated elsewhere on here today - without a couple of highly fortunate wins over Christmas we WOULD be in serious relegation trouble now, that the manager has had numerous no stakes games to change things and we continue in a cycle of drawing 0-0 at home...I could go on. At board level there isn't anyone with football knowledge to challenge the manager or to see past raw data of "oh well we're 14th".

This "mind the stove" attitude to running a football club is fucking bollocks.

Spot on. Couldn't have said it better really.

I'm pinning my hopes on us eventually being bought and then there being a bit of an overhaul at first team level. We seem to be getting it right below that(re. recruitment of young players, the coaching in the academy.)

Back