• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Man Utd: Verdict Thread

We definitely look fitter but still out on our feet with 5-10 to go, think we'll just get better.

Just emphasising just how bad a head coach Bruno Saunders was to allow us to turn into an unfit rabble that we were.

Only 5 minutes of injury time played !!!!! Nunes was down for at least 4 and Podence for at least 3 , not including substitutions.
Bloody ref then he blows after 5 min 15 secs. He gave us nothing all match.
Thought we showed plenty of fight but our ball possession in last 20 minutes was crap. I still fancy us to stave off relegation especially with new players coming in.
The injury time played was disgracefully short & the officials concerned should be punished.

At least we looked in it for the vast majority of the game. Still a ton to work on, but it’s not games v the top 6 that will define our season.

Bring in a couple of the right players and I’m feeling more confident than before the World Cup

Yep BBC reporting seriously questioned how short a length the injury time was.

Called it at half time that we'd done okay but Rashford would come on and win it.

Think Collins and Kilman both had reasonable individual performances, Collins the better of the two with a great block in the first half to stop a goal and he carried the ball into midfield a few times, they're still miles off though as a pairing.

Goal was entirely our making with Sa chucking it out for a throw, everything stemmed from there. Coupled with Somedo trying to gift one in the first half we were our own worst enemies. We cannot play the ball out for shit.

Going forwards we were okay in the first half but as Costa tired the lack of a focal point really killed us after the break. Hwang was mostly anonymous after a decent half pressing.

Traore was much more Traore (not a good thing) explosiveness was there and won a good few headers but crosses ever wayward and nothing really came of it.

Jonny is done, bin.

I think 1-0 is about right on balance. Always felt United would have a touch of class somewhere to put it to bed where Everton didn't last week and no matter how much we huffed and puffed it always felt if a second goal was going to come it'd be from them.

and lastly, Rob Jones is a cunt. Another useless cunt among PGMOL.

Defence aside we played well. Kilman has a unique ability to never be in the right place. You will never see him make a last ditch block as Collins today (and god forbid anything like the tackles or stops Bennett, Coady or Saiss ever did). He’s a coward, might not stand out as ‘bad’ as Collins does at times but that’s because he hides whenever possible - perhaps gets away with it in 3 atb, but looks awful in a 2. Combines it with a similar stellar ability to never quite play any pass correctly - always slight behind, ahead or off for any receiving player. He’s not young, he’s not going to be good enough. Bye max.

Only 5 minutes of injury time played !!!!! Nunes was down for at least 4 and Podence for at least 3 , not including substitutions.
Bloody ref then he blows after 5 min 15 secs. He gave us nothing all match.
Thought we showed plenty of fight but our ball possession in last 20 minutes was crap. I still fancy us to stave off relegation especially with new players coming in.
And UTD made 4 subs in injury time

There's enough there to be optimistic about our prospects. We need more quality in various areas but everyone knows that, including the manager. We look properly set up for the first time in absolutely ages and we were probably fair enough value for a point today (but then we pretty much robbed two on Boxing Day, so whatever).

Best Collins has played since the very early weeks of the season and easily Nunes' best game for us. Sa looking much better and seems to have cut out a lot of the moron antics.

Don't really want to see Costa again, pantomime season is over soon.

Only one look in real time but does Adama let the runner just go? Then it didn't look very good from Jonny or Toti.

Absolutely crap referee again, where do they get them from. Timekeeping was a joke just for a start.

Rubbish year for us, the next one should be a lot better.

Deflating to be walking away without the point that would have been as deserved / undeserved as the 3 on Boxing Day. As many of you called on the prediction thread a much improved performance, maybe the most coherent of the season, but so much damage has been done by Lage (sorry ThisisGill but your boy really has made a mess) that we’re not flicking a switch.

Everyone seemed to be playing at a higher level, atmosphere a notch up too.

Costa did some basic things adequately, but I was still a little disappointed to see him and then Hwang playing through the middle ahead of Raul.

As for our best keeper of the last ten years (?!) - I’d be happy if he was flicked in January for an upgrade along with a fairly long list of the cast today.

Agree with everyone else about the refereeing team. Decisions put to one side, how can they fail to add up numbers of less than ten?

Not looking forward to the Man U fans at the southbound services. They’ll be dancing in the streets of Guildford tonight.

Thought Lopetegui got some of the tactics wrong in the second half.
Firstly, moving Hwang inside meant we had nothing to hold the ball up or to give Adama anything to aim at in the box.
Secondly, moving to 5 at the back gave man u the advantage in the centre of the pitch.

As a positive, the team looks actually drilled in a formation and it was good to see Nunes start to perform.

Hate losing but there was plenty there to encourage us for the future games. Good recruitment and we will have a chance to get out of the mire.

Paddy power taking the piss as usual,
When you’ve got a 12.30 kick off, but there’s a bond film on at 4
4F26E35D-18B6-425D-A4C7-18DF663C3E6B.jpeg

Not read the rest of the thread yet so apologies if repeating points others have already made.

I expected to lose today but after watching the game feels like a point missed. They aren't up to much.

First half reminded me of a Nuno game, compact held, shape and difficult to play through. With a centre forward we may have taken a lead the ball from Neves to Costa would have been a one on one with the keeper for anyone with more than a sloths pace, other times we had the ball out wide but nobody in the box

United started to win the midfield once they brought Fred on, what we didn't need at that point was to take a man out of there. Smacked of Lop sniffing his own shit after making the change against Everton and it working. I don't think it cost us the goal, but still the wrong change.

We need a new right back, hopefully as early as Wednesday. Playing a combination of Dopey and Knackered will make it difficult to stay up. Just someone competent there will do. In about a minute and a half Jonny threw the ball straight onto Fred's chest, played another 10 yard pass straight to him and then did whatever the hell that was for the goal.

Someone compared Collins to early Craddock the other week, it's a good comparison. Even when he's having a good game, something happens. Didn't cover himself in glory for the first and week as piss on the disallowed goal. I thought he was a top signing, very wrong thus far.

Adama made a difference, I'd still use him as an impact sub, but with a centre forward he might get us something in the odd game.

We still go over way too easily, rightly or wrongly the ref wasn't going to give us anything so pointless playing for it

The lack of a booking for Casemiro when he bodied checked Neves was appalling refereeing. Perhaps he doesn't make the second challenge on a yellow, but you never know. I fully expected the ref to get his autograph book out at full time.

Decent performance don't think we deserved the defeat, the powder puff challenge by Collins when he was favourite to win the ball was a disgrace and cost us the goal.

The time keeping was a joke, if we were 1 up, made 4 changes in Injury time you could bet a million quid the time would have been added on.

Raul was unlucky, should have put header either side of De Gea.

Won't lose to many playing like that we would do well against any outside top 6.

Disappointed in our panicking when chasing the game 15 to go, just keep control

Like most have said there is a lot more optimism for the future with this performance. Imo we deserved something from the game, but as usual the diabolical officials scuppered that thought. The difference was they have someone who can finish, we just haven't...yet.
My motm was Sa, as he kept us in the game. I'm sure JL and the club have someone else to go alongside Cuhna lined up for the up top positions.
Disappointing, but i've took heart from the performance. I think we'll be ok based on getting someone who knows what the onion bag looks like!

Back