• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-2 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

It wouldn't have been a red, he tried to play the ball.
Fair point.

Ok, a goal up then. It may have been immaterial, but still a point to make. We will happily say we were lucky against Southampton due to Adams (I think) forgetting how to head a ball. Only right both pointed out

I don’t recall is being a goal up, playing 10 men in our last 14 games….

We lost to a team better than us. We have a decent account of ourselves. Our season won’t be based on losing to arsenal.

Our season will be based on post World Cup. Loo has to basically over 23 games get 5 more points than 3 of either West Ham, Everton, Southampton or Forest. Do that and we stay up which has to be the starting block. Personally, I fancy us to do that.

It’s been a shit few months given the optimism the window brought, but some of the negativity is massively OTT.

Breaks coming at a good time, reset and go again, hopefully the forum won’t be as depressing as well 🙄🙃

10 points from 15
8 goals scored from 15
24 conceded from 15
Bottom of the league
5 points from breaking even

Not sure how people are being OTT people are just saying it as it is.
The situation is dire with a hope more than genuine belief it’ll be turned around.
Keep saying it the time has gone for giving it a good go and coming up with nothing.

10 points from 15
8 goals scored from 15
24 conceded from 15
Bottom of the league

The situation is dire with a hope more than genuine belief it’ll be turned around.
Keep saying it the time has gone for giving it a good go and coming up with nothing.
I’d argue saying ‘we’re down’ and drivel like that is OTT.

Don’t think anyone has said the situation is dire?

Lage has openly been ridiculed and is shit etc etc. Lop is touted as a huge upgrade, correct?

So surely, you’d then expect an upturn in performances, and results? And given he’s supposedly such a big upgrade, you’d expect a pretty big turnaround?

So yes, situation os shit, but you’d hope there is reason to save the season given we’ve had Lage as manager and we are only 5 points off safety?

So yes, i would say some of the doomsday drivel is OTT

I’d argue saying ‘we’re down’ and drivel like that is OTT.

Don’t think anyone has said the situation is dire?

Lage has openly been ridiculed and is shit etc etc. Lop is touted as a huge upgrade, correct?

So surely, you’d then expect an upturn in performances, and results? And given he’s supposedly such a big upgrade, you’d expect a pretty big turnaround?

So yes, situation os shit, but you’d hope there is reason to save the season given we’ve had Lage as manager and we are only 5 points off safety?

So yes, i would say some of the doomsday drivel is OTT

Lage is rightfully criticised for one of the main points being how he decimated parts of the squad in the summer.
I’d expect an upturn but unfortunately it might not be enough. As I said earlier in the thread Lage being given the summer at the club has caused serious damage. The defence isn’t fit for purpose at this level and the attacking sides of things are completely impotent.
As good as Lop might be he’s not a miracle worker.
Not his fault he’s been left with a totally imbalanced squad which won’t be rectified in January.

10 points from 15
8 goals scored from 15
24 conceded from 15
Bottom of the league

But how many times to people have to say how it is? The vast majority of people on here knew we were going to lose yesterday, it's undeniable, the majority predicted a much higher goal difference, but do we look for any positives, do we fuck as like, yes the predicaments bad, but not unsurmountable and if you don't have a glimmer of hope this can be salvaged, then that is sad

Lage is rightfully criticised for one of the main points being how he decimated parts of the squad in the summer.
I’d expect an upturn but unfortunately it might not be enough. As I said earlier in the thread Lage being given the summer at the club has caused serious damage. The defence isn’t fit for purpose at this level and the attacking sides of things are completely impotent.
As good as Lop might be he’s not a miracle worker.
Not his fault he’s been left with a totally imbalanced squad which won’t be rectified in January.

Just curious then, if Lop had been here at the start of the season, with this squad, where do you think we would be?

But how many times to people have to say how it is? The vast majority of people on here knew we were going to lose yesterday, it's undeniable, the majority predicted a much higher goal difference, but do we look for any positives, do we fuck as like, yes the predicaments bad, but not unsurmountable and if you don't have a glimmer of hope this can be salvaged, then that is sad
That’s where I am. By the OTT negativity I mean the ‘we are down’ talk. We’re not down, we’re in a shit position but it’s not rectifyable.

I’m more fucked off I think that I genuinely was positive after the transfer window, and now any success this year will be just staying up

Just curious then, if Lop had been here at the start of the season, with this squad, where do you think we would be?

Well that’s a hypothetical load of rubbish.
Firstly he was still at Sevilla.
Secondly if he was here a very much doubt he’d have waved through the transfer dealings.
If in this made up scenario he was here with the current squad I still think we’d struggle, not as badly as we have done but the way the squad was allowed to be imbalanced by the previous regime is mind boggling.
Pretty sure lop wouldn’t have allowed that.

Just watched his first day video, the bloke oozes class and charisma and had time for everyone from Jeff down to the catering staff, congratulating Joe Hodge and letting him know he'd seen him play, asking Sasa about his injury, talking to Nunes about his shoulder, he's the real deal and I'm quietly confident he will see us good.
Is this video all on Wolves TV Lupo?

Well that’s a hypothetical load of rubbish.
Firstly he was still at Sevilla.
Secondly if he was here a very much doubt he’d have waved through the transfer dealings.
If in this made up scenario he was here with the current squad I still think we’d struggle, not as badly as we have done but the way the squad was allowed to be imbalanced by the previous regime is mind boggling.
Pretty sure lol wouldn’t have allowed that.
Brilliant.

Il answer it for you as you won’t bother then. And explain why it is relevant.

If lop was in charge, with this squad, I’d like to think we would be atleast 6 points better off at least? If that’s the case, then given the current situation and he carries that form from when he takes over then we will stay up. There’s a reason to be positive for you.

Unless you’re saying ‘no, we are fucked, we’re down’ then you either think Lop is a shit manager, or the squad is just that unbalanced then even a decent manager can’t get anything out of this lot. In that case it’s not Lage’s fault…

As it happens, we have a transfer window to come as well. You have hypothesised Lop wouldn’t have let the transfer business be done in the summer how it was. So by default assuming you expect he will have control in January and we will be fine?

Which one is it?

I didn’t think we played badly last night, just beaten by a better team. I’m not sure if Davis or Lopetegui picked the team but it was probably the right way to go. If only we’d had Raul & Jota up top instead of Traore & Guedes. We’re a team without a goal scorer and that’s exactly what we looked like.

From the ground you could tell it was a foul on Guedes but I thought nothing else of it as I presumed it was offside. After getting home it was pretty obvious it was a penalty and VAR got it completely wrong. If it’s not going to rectify decisions like that then it’s completely pointless.

We’ve got lucky with the World Cup break and it may be what saves us. Treat it like a pre season and start again in a few weeks. Hopefully with a few new players to follow.
That's the hugely obvious difference and one that should be addressed in the window.

It really isn't that hard as the rest of the squad picks itself.

MOTD did a good job of calling it out which no one here appears to have noticed, but Adama failing to track back is a massive part of their second goal.
I called it in the match thread

10 points from 15
8 goals scored from 15
24 conceded from 15
Bottom of the league

Over and over and over again.

And you say you're not miserable?

What exactly do you get from posting such misery constantly?

Unless you’re saying ‘no, we are fucked, we’re down’ then you either think Lop is a shit manager, or the squad is just that unbalanced then even a decent manager can’t get anything out of this lot. In that case it’s not Lage’s fault…
Not wishing to interrupt your discussion, but I think this underestimates the damage Lage did to morale and confidence. Even yesterday, when I thought we overall played alright you could see the heart sucked out of them when that first goal went in. Lop has a massive job to do with a number of players, Semedo, Jonny, RAN, Collins, Kilman to name 5 mentally before he can do anything tactically. If it wasn't for the WC, I'd say we're gone as we'd be playing games whilst he tries to build that confidence back and probably losing most of them, it's the break that gives me hope.

Ultimately 5 points adrift is a pretty big hole, but it's only the hole most have been predicting for the last month or so, we aren't really any more doomed now than we were then and in theory have a good manager to come in, I do think we need 4 points from the 3 games before we can do anything to fix the squad though, we can't let the gap get any bigger

Brilliant.

Il answer it for you as you won’t bother then. And explain why it is relevant.

If lop was in charge, with this squad, I’d like to think we would be atleast 6 points better off at least? If that’s the case, then given the current situation and he carries that form from when he takes over then we will stay up. There’s a reason to be positive for you.

As it happens, we have a transfer window to come as well. You have hypothesised Lop wouldn’t have let the transfer business be done in the summer how it was. So by default assuming you expect he will have control in January and we will be fine?

Which one is it?

Bottom paragraph first try attracting genuine quality to the club when you’re 5 points adrift.
Secondly try having multiple dealings in that window too. To makes more competitive he needs at least 1-2 CH, 1 RB, 1 CF & probably 1-2 AM/W.
Good luck doing that sought of business in January window.
I’m not saying that’s it pack up it’s all over, but the odds are against us.
Put it this way if you were an outsider looking in and you were asked to pick your 3 to go down everyone would have us in their bottom 3.
He still has 2-3 games before any new signings can make an instant impact. By then we’ll have 20 games left and you’re totally reliant on new signings hitting the ground running.
As I said he’s a good coach but not the oracle and the damage caused may be to big to repair in just 23 matches.

I see this period coming up as a pre season time except we have lots of things already in place.
Lop will have already identified a couple of hit men up front and we have a few weeks to get this sorted,, get them all playing the way he'll want, but yes a couple of decent strikers would be great, but hang on, they're coming!
But one thing confounds me. When a player strikes the ball and it goes high and wide, they always look up to their God and clench their teeth. ('If only I'd have done better,' kind of shit) It's almost like they learn fuck all from training sessions.
It's almost like we need a Striker's coach dedicated to just that. A whole session twice a week on how to hit the ball. Nothing else, just that.

Bottom paragraph first try attracting genuine quality to the club when you’re 5 points adrift.
Secondly try having multiple dealings in that window too. To makes more competitive he needs at least 1-2 CH, 1 RB, 1 CF & probably 1-2 AM/W.
Good luck doing that sought of business in January window.
I’m not saying that’s it pack up it’s all over, but the odds are against us.
Put it this way if you were an outsider looking in and you were asked to pick your 3 to go down everyone would have us in their bottom 3.
He still has 2-3 games before any new signings can make an instant impact. By then we’ll have 20 games left and you’re totally reliant on new signings hitting the ground running.
As I said he’s a good coach but not the oracle and the damage caused may be to big to repair in just 23 matches.
If you take the bookies as an outsider we are 3rd favourites to go down, but only at 4/5. I think more or less 50/50 is about right

Not wishing to interrupt your discussion, but I think this underestimates the damage Lage did to morale and confidence. Even yesterday, when I thought we overall played alright you could see the heart sucked out of them when that first goal went in. Lop has a massive job to do with a number of players, Semedo, Johnny, RAN, Collins, Kilman to name 5 mentally before he can do anything tactically. If it wasn't for the WC, I'd say we're gone as we'd be playing games whilst he tries to build that confidence back and probably losing most of them, it's the break that gives me hope.

Ultimately 5 points adrift is a pretty big hole, but it's only the hole most have been predicting for the last month or so, we aren't really any more doomed now than we were then and in theory have a good manager to come in, I do think we need 4 points from the 3 games before we can do anything to fix the squad though, we can't let the gap get any bigger
No, I get the morale point, but it’s a good one to point out.

The players who will be down on moral, or the main worries, aren’t going to the World Cup. Lop now has a month to work with them which is a a huge benefit.

The players, or main players going should be able to slot back in. With a window in January, I’d be shocked if Lop hasn’t been assured of certain funds or identified targets that Jeff or whoever had agreed to go for etc.

This is where Lop will earn his coin so to speak.

Although, I have just checked and are first few fixtures aren’t the nicest

Back