• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-3 Man City: Verdict Thread

In fairness I can see why he did that with Neves. As much as I'd like to stick the boot into him I don't think that's a reason to do so.

If he starts like that next game then I'll agree but at 2-0 down it was obvious he wanted Neves stepping into midfield when we had the ball with kilman taking haaland.

I think you're giving the goon far too much credit...

I can see your rationale but the fact Lage has frozen on the sidelines when we've needed him to assert himself with a sub or tweak and hasn't then yesterday falls into an all too similar body of work.

FWIW i thought both Guedes and Nunes, had their best games since signing. It will take a few matches forma them to come to the fore.
We will have Costa ready for half an hour after International break.

A couple of thoughts we should kick on post Internacional break
If He had fallen out with players / lost the dressing room he would have gone by now, fosun would not stand for that.
The players and also board must be confident he can turn things around else again he would have gone.

We mayor not have confidence the club obviously do.

I dont se him going until the World Cup, mayor be if Brendan is sacked from Leicester

I think you're giving the goon far too much credit...

I can see your rationale but the fact Lage has frozen on the sidelines when we've needed him to assert himself with a sub or tweak and hasn't then yesterday falls into an all too similar body of work.

Maybe, I definitely agree he bottles making assertive changes, always reactive

FWIW i thought both Guedes and Nunes, had their best games since signing. It will take a few matches forma them to come to the fore.
We will have Costa ready for half an hour after International break.

A couple of thoughts we should kick on post Internacional break
If He had fallen out with players / lost the dressing room he would have gone by now, fosun would not stand for that.
The players and also board must be confident he can turn things around else again he would have gone.

We mayor not have confidence the club obviously do.

I dont se him going until the World Cup, mayor be if Brendan is sacked from Leicester
What makes you think we should kick on after the international break? What are you basing this on?

I know It's Man City and they can do that to any team but I thought some players looked either dreadful or lacking awareness through out the game especially Johnny who looked like a man who's had 2 ACL surgeries in quick succession at times he had the mobility of an 18 wheeler. At times we passed it around and kept possession at times but we looked like we had zero threat going forward on paper we have some very capable players but Lage just isn't getting anything out of them you can't blame this solely on the players.

I have no faith in him some of this tripe being served is so similar to Nuno's latter days It's painful to watch at times and considering the tools he has as well as been given this season it is simply not good enough striker or no striker It's just not acceptable some of the performances since we beat Spurs last season. It might sound a bit dramatic but the fall since is quite simply alarming and the stats surely prove this.

There are elements of truth to this but the biggest difference for me is we were decisive on the ball. Everyone knew the plan, now we look like a group just thrown together. Even Forest who are a completely new side look a more cohesive unit than us going forward.
Again I think that's largely down to the counter attacking setup, when there are massive gaps to hit and the plan is basically get the ball forward before their players get back it's a lot easier. Vast majority of the thinking in that setup was defensive, they were Incredibly organised in that respect but going forwards it was often little more than a race to the opposition goal.

Now they're having to think their way to goal and it's not happening at all, you can see they have no clue collectively or individually. As soon as the space runs out or things get delicate in terms of timing they're lost and they play safe.

There was a move yesterday that lead to Jonny getting a half arsed penalty shout. Was a good move for the most part, 3 or 4 first time passes breaking into City's half and looked like it could be a counter attack of old. However, the ball went wide to Neto with Jonny on the underlap and he had to play it first time, just knock it in behind but he didn't back himself, took a touch so Jonny had to check his run then inevitably lost the foot face with Akanji when Neto played it down the channel.

Seen quite a few comments saying we “didn’t create much”. Hard to argue with that. However, to try and offer some fair balance I will say that I was literally shouting out yesterday for our players to actually, y’know, shoot.

Neto & Guedes the main two culprits, but Christ, we had so many chances to have a shot and to give Ederson something to think about, but no - nothing. Absolutely infuriating to watch. If you don’t shoot, you won’t score. Even Haaland’s goal was a scuff but look - it ended up in the bottom corner.

I can’t wait for Costa to get on the pitch. He won’t be worried about having a pop.

Seen quite a few comments saying we “didn’t create much”. Hard to argue with that. However, to try and offer some fair balance I will say that I was literally shouting out yesterday for our players to actually, y’know, shoot.

Neto & Guedes the main two culprits, but Christ, we had so many chances to have a shot and to give Ederson something to think about, but no - nothing. Absolutely infuriating to watch. If you don’t shoot, you won’t score. Even Haaland’s goal was a scuff but look - it ended up in the bottom corner.

I can’t wait for Costa to get on the pitch. He won’t be worried about having a pop.

Did you phone up wm after the game, he said exactly the same thing.

I don't disagree btw, if you get half a yard around the box and there isn't an obvious killer pass you should be having a pop.

If we play like we have for the last 21 games then we aren't creating anything for Diego Costa (who himself, is nothing like the player he used to be, as much as some are pretending otherwise).

Just putting him in that team with those tactics will change nothing.

The mentality of the team should (and does) come from the manager.

Not a hope on Sundays that Costa doesn't end up doing what all our players have been doing recently: gesticulating in frustration at another wasted opportunity.

If we play like we have for the last 21 games then we aren't creating anything for Diego Costa (who himself, is nothing like the player he used to be, as much as some are pretending otherwise).

Just putting him in that team with those tactics will change nothing.
I’m not really referring to us creating chances for Costa, more that he won’t be afraid to shoot. And we definitely get in positions to shoot. I can think of about 5 x examples yesterday and we took too many touches and lost possession every time instead. That won’t happen with Costa on the ball.

As it stands we’ll be 4th bottom going into the break Fosun should be deeply concerned by this and realise our position is fair assessment on our current performance.

The biggest change I'd be hoping Costa will bring is mentality, a big dominant personality that will want to assert himself and hopefully some of the others will follow suit.
If all he does is scream at Podence and Neto et al. for dicking about, and put himself about with the opposing CBs then that will be enough for me. That would be far more than what we are currently offering

What makes you think we should kick on after the international break? What are you basing this on?

Guedes and Nunes will be up to speed, Jiménez and Costa ready.

Enough positives yesterday

What positives? We were 2-0 down inside 15 minutes and the game was done. We didn't even create anything with City in at best, second gear.

I'm not sure Raul is going to play again under Lage and Costa is a Hail Mary of a signing, he used to be brilliant, so did Bobby Charlton and I wouldn't play him up front. I hope it works but the odds are it won't.

Guedes and Nunes will be up to speed, Jiménez and Costa ready.

Enough positives yesterday

Up to speed? The whole idea of signing players for that much is that they can slot straight in.
Is this the same Jimenez who’s been a shadow of himself for over a year now and Costa who’s not played since January?
You’re basing it on hope rather than clear evidence.

Up to speed? The whole idea of signing players for that much is that they can slot straight in.
Is this the same Jimenez who’s been a shadow of himself for over a year now and Costa who’s not played since January?
You’re basing it on hope rather than clear evidence.
More after injuries, and in Costa's lack of fitness

Back