• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-4 Burnley: Verdict Thread

I think all/most football managers have that side to them even if we don't see it in public. Cuddly Roy Hodgson for instance is said to be a right nasty cunt when he loses his shit

He also said it was an awful pass, which it was.

I'm not sure how much help they're supposed to give him in all honesty, he just shouldn't be playing that pass in that situation. It's his fault, like it would have been his fault if he'd been sent off, not sure why he in particular needs mitigation when he's shite and/or stupid, which he is a lot of the time.
Ask Jenas. It was not my opinion. Lets face it everyone was at fault yesterday bar maybe RAN.

Just watched the goals. None are on Patricio, the first is a perfect hit, nobody blamed Fabianski for Fabio's very similar one a couple of weeks ago. The 3rd is on the coaching, you defend that deep in the zone then the keeper has nowhere to go. It's a goal Nuno has no excuse for as it happens time after time in some way or another and isn't connected at all to Covid or injuries, Chris Wood 6 yards out with an unchallenged header ffs

Just watched the goals. None are on Patricio, the first is a perfect hit, nobody blamed Fabianski for Fabio's very similar one a couple of weeks ago. The 3rd is on the coaching, you defend that deep in the zone then the keeper has nowhere to go. It's a goal Nuno has no excuse for as it happens time after time in some way or another and isn't connected at all to Covid or injuries, Chris Wood 6 yards out with an unchallenged header ffs
As a pro defender do you need coaching to mark the guy who is the most dangerous from corners? If you do then maybe pro defending isn't for you... Especially if you need a coach to tell you when you are 27 to 30 years old.

If you continue to do things badly you change it. You can blame individual players for continually fucking up how they defend zonally, Saiss is a serial offender as is whoever is targeted to block the runner on the edge of the box, Neves and Jonny have both failed in that from memory. You have 3 options, drill the players better, change them or change the strategy. Option 2 and 3 haven't happened and Option 1 would appear to be failing. You can't keep conceding that type of goal and not look beyond the players

Which brings me to my first post. If you need a manager to explain this etc.....
Perhaps you don't understand what TT means.

Nuno sets players up for defending set plays in a particular way. That predominantly is playing his big defenders statically across the 6yd box in a zone.

He then uses smaller players to disrupt the runs of the opposition.

I've never seen this system work effectively as defenders are static and passive.

But Nuno thinks it works and that's what counts.

He’s 4 yards out, just off centre of Goal when he heads it. Not even a towering header either. I’m expecting my Keeper to do something with that. Wood is 2 yards away from Rui as the ball is about to come in.

Even if he just flaps at it, it pushes it away slightly. You’re not saving any shot from that range. Even an air flap might put him off.

Looked to me like Rui was blocked off so couldn't do anything. I could be wrong though.
He is technically yes. But I find keepers who have no real interest in coming off their line find themselves “blocked off”. They go “look I’m blocked, I can’t do anything” and cop out, whereas a commanding keeper would make sure that situation doesn’t happen, or be causing a fuss before the kick is taken so the ref stops the play. Then the refs watching it and as soon as the kick comes in the GK makes a fuss and FK giving for nothing.

I mean he’s just gently caressing Saiss and has already made his mind up he’s not going to do anything. He literally may as well not in goal.

I’m no GK coach but I’ve never understood putting a defender there. It just adds to the block, Makes it less likely a GK will get the foul and basically renders the GK useless. If Saiss is the other side he’s still in a position to Mark on second phases etc. but allows the GK space and also if the player does make a play on the GK he will get a foul.

If a keeper is not strong off his line it makes sense to put defenders on their strongest players.

We haven't done that and Burnley have recognised that we are not strong when the 6yd box is packed.

Fair play to the last honest man in football.

Dont ask how I know as i dont want to get anyone into trouble.

It's diificult to get it over in a post.

Nuno, most definately can and DOES lose his shit.

As i was told "God help you if you do don't do something he asks you to do"

Its a very tight knit group players and staff with the utmost respect for each other, since Bright went there are no dickheads at the club.

Nuno will get it right

Well, ive had a couple of days to think about this defeat now, and that has been the worst performance since Nuno came here. I just sincerely hope he can weave some magic and confidence into the side for Monday night. Otherwise its going to be a bastard of a week.

I'm expecting us to lose to the stripeys.

Back