• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-4 Burnley: Verdict Thread

Did Nuno miss Bolys Header
Did Nuno let Wood turn Coady inside out
Did Nuno pass the ball to Semado

No Nuno is responsible as manager for how the team performs overall, he is not responsible for the Catologue of individual fuck ups we have seen this season.

He gets credit when the players do a good job and criticism when they don't.

The buck stops with him, and I'm sure he wouldn't have it any other way. It can't be that the players get hung out to dry on their own when it goes tits up. He's responsible for their mentality, fitness, and how they play. If they're not doing what he asks, or not performing well enough, he can do something about that too.

The manager isn't responsible for individial errors line works in isolation, it doesn't as a collective across a season, then it's something more fundamental. It could well be mental fatigue, but it's another of those theories which could be true, but when you add them all up then there's a lot of reasons/excuses being banked on to explain the season away. I'm minded that there's more wrong than a good holiday and a fit Raul, but am happy to be proven wrong and also recognise within the grand scheme of the last 40 years being a mid table top league also ran ain't all that bad

Some players are definitely coming to the end of the road. That wasn't Boly's first rocky game of the season (it was his worst though, by a distance) and he's 30 now, with fitness issues creeping in more and more. Saiss is 31 and I think everyone would like to see him take on more of a squad role going forward. Dendoncker should not be in a position where he's playing as often as he is, irrespective of him doing nothing most weeks. Not involved yesterday, but Joao is 35 in September. Marçal can't stay fit and is 32. If we do actually plan to move to a back four on even a semi-regular basis, there are big question marks over Coady. Unless there's a squad makeover that dramatically changes how we set up, we remain almost entirely reliant on our front three to score and create, as the rest of the team is either defenders or defensively-minded midfielders. As such, we simply can't sustain Adama's prolonged lack of goals, same applies to Podence. José isn't staying, thank the fucking Lord. We've given up on Kilman, no value in him staying at the club, not good enough. We've brought MGW back from his loan spell, barely used him and we still don't seem to know where he's supposed to play, so where's his future. Probably not here. Cutrone is done as a Wolves player.

That's a lot to unpick. We have a small squad as it is and a chunk are either getting too old or aren't suitable for the roles we need them to play.

"Just get Raul back" can't be our mantra. We need a lot more than that.

Some players are definitely coming to the end of the road. That wasn't Boly's first rocky game of the season (it was his worst though, by a distance) and he's 30 now, with fitness issues creeping in more and more. Saiss is 31 and I think everyone would like to see him take on more of a squad role going forward. Dendoncker should not be in a position where he's playing as often as he is, irrespective of him doing nothing most weeks. Not involved yesterday, but Joao is 35 in September. Marçal can't stay fit and is 32. If we do actually plan to move to a back four on even a semi-regular basis, there are big question marks over Coady. Unless there's a squad makeover that dramatically changes how we set up, we remain almost entirely reliant on our front three to score and create, as the rest of the team is either defenders or defensively-minded midfielders. As such, we simply can't sustain Adama's prolonged lack of goals, same applies to Podence. José isn't staying, thank the fucking Lord. We've given up on Kilman, no value in him staying at the club, not good enough. We've brought MGW back from his loan spell, barely used him and we still don't seem to know where he's supposed to play, so where's his future. Probably not here. Cutrone is done as a Wolves player.

That's a lot to unpick. We have a small squad as it is and a chunk are either getting too old or aren't suitable for the roles we need them to play.

"Just get Raul back" can't be our mantra. We need a lot more than that.
We do. Tbh, there's only really Raul, Neves and Neto that I'd be really happy about being regular starters in a 4-X-Y, if we're looking to break into the top 6 in the next couple of years.

Or we could carry on playing the formation which has suited us so well, rather than junking most of our team bar 3.

Or we could carry on playing the formation which has suited us so well, rather than junking most of our team bar 3.

Tell Nuno. He was the one keen on moving from a 3. And many of the players who made that formation work are either not here any more, long term injured or in decline

Even if you do that, two of our current three starting centre halves are starting to creak (one of those two also barely played at the back for us in his first two and a half years at the club), we have no goals or creativity from central midfield, virtually no attacking output from the wingbacks and nowhere near enough goals from anyone other than Raul at the sharp end. Oh and nowhere near enough serious competition for places anywhere.

Even if you do that, two of our current three starting centre halves are starting to creak (one of those two also barely played at the back for us in his first two and a half years at the club), we have no goals or creativity from central midfield, virtually no attacking output from the wingbacks and nowhere near enough goals from anyone other than Raul at the sharp end. Oh and nowhere near enough serious competition for places anywhere.
Bit OTT to write Boly off after one match - I'd imagine the longer term aim is for Hoever to replace him. Agree on a new CB, but then we've all been saying that since promotion.

They'll be just as old/not good ebough in a 352 tbf.
If we stick 3 ATB and keep RAN / Vitinha we need - long term Joao replacement (poss Vitinha), at least once CB, new striker and possibly an IF. Not quite as extreme.

Not writing him off, just he's starting to miss a lot more football (he played 22 league games last season, 19 this season with five to play - that's a fair old chunk) and in fairness it's been a very mixed season for him. I'd say he's had easily twice as many bad games this campaign as he had in his entire three previous years here.

Bit OTT to write Boly off after one match - I'd imagine the longer term aim is for Hoever to replace him. Agree on a new CB, but then we've all been saying that since promotion.

Not sure what world the slight Ki-Jana replaces our only proper physical/tall central defender. You're talking years away, if at all

Not sure what world the slight Ki-Jana replaces our only proper physical/tall central defender. You're talking years away, if at all
longer term.. Boly probably has 2 or 3 years left in him

If we stick 3 ATB and keep RAN / Vitinha we need - long term Joao replacement (poss Vitinha), at least once CB, new striker and possibly an IF. Not quite as extreme.

Regardless of the formation, if our aim is top 6, we need to upgrade on Coady, Saiss, Boly, Dendonker, Joao, Podence, and Adama. Our 343 has been found out, so we can't just expect to roll the plan back to 18/19 and expect to be exciting again.

Last edited:
longer term.. Boly probably has 2 or 3 years left in him

I think if we want to avoid a further decline from 12th-15th I'd prefer a smattering of quality starting players this summer rather than wait for our awesome Hoever/RAN/Vitinha/Fabio super-team of 2025 to kick in!

I'm also not sure that Hoever's profile is comparable to Boly's in 2, 3 or 10 years tbf

I'm not against staying with 3 at the back, but we've been dire with that system too for all of this season and the tail end of last, think we need some decent players in coming for certain positions and a different mind set with 3-4-3 or any system we play.

Regardless of the formation, if our aim is top 6, we need to upgrade on Coady, Saiss, Boly, Dendonker, Joao, Podence, and Adama. Our 343 has been found out, so we can't just expect to roll the plan back to 19/20 and expect to be exciting again.
I disagree on Coady and I've no idea about Podence (I don't think I've ever seen him play properly fit) - I'd keep Adama, but I know most will disagree.

I think if we want to avoid a further decline from 12th-15th I'd prefer a smattering of quality starting players this summer rather than wait for our awesome Hoever/RAN/Vitinha/Fabio super-team of 2025 to kick in!
We all want this don't we?

I'm also not sure that Hoever's profile is comparable to Boly's in 2, 3 or 10 years tbf
That's not the Fosun way though (neither is it probably sustainable longer term either - personally I'd much rather we became a sustainable team bringing through younger players timely to replace older players)

Back