• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-4 Leicester: Verdict Thread

On the team/playing staff.

I’m not convinced by Collins at all. Kilman’s form has dropped off a cliff. Because of the way we binned off Coady, we now can’t switch back to three at the back, nor would I want us too. But with these two at centre half, we’re not keeping many clean sheets this season. Especially with Sa looking like gifting the opposition a goal a game. Sa shouldn’t be letting in Maddison’s goal at his near post, but the game was dead as soon as they went 1-0 up anyway.

Jonny has been a disgrace recently but I (and others) have given him leeway in case it was rustiness coming back from injury. But I have no doubt in my mind now that the blokes got a bad attitude and doesn’t want to be here. You fell out with Lage and effectively stopped playing to your ability. The club sacked him and now you’ve somehow got worse? His effort levels were a joke today - he should be embarrassed.

Nunes clearly didn’t want the move here & it seems like Mendes had a word in his ear to force it through. He looks like a league 1 midfielder - not one of the “hottest prospects in world football”. No idea how he doesn’t score his 1 on 1 in the first half - but his quality on the ball is miles away from where we need him to be.

Moutinho has regressed terribly and offers nothing. It’s a shame to see a legend playing like this.

Neves, for me, doesn’t want to be here. He’s starting to ruin the legacy that he’s worked hard to achieve, because for me, he knows that it makes no difference what league we’re in next season - he’s off anyway. I’d take the money in the next window and reinvest it in players that want to be here that can give us a fighting chance in the Championship next season.

Don’t know where to start with the front three, so won’t bother. As I’ve said, we won’t score 15 goals as a squad this season.

What’s worse, the players waiting in the wings - Semedo, Hwang, Ait-Nouri, Hodge etc are either woefully out of form or not good enough, so Davis has his hands tied behind his back. I feel sorry for the bloke.

I have no issue with a 'panic appointment' whatever that means. If it means they get off their arse and appoint a proper fucking football manager instead of leaving it to Davis then fine. Loads of good options out of work all better than Lage and Davis.

The first half is everything that is wrong with us. We we’re on top but we were fragile. A needless free kick conceded by Jonny (who is so far short of the player he was) leads to an attacking situation that could have been avoided and the wonder goal never happens.

Any keeper in the world would be embarrassed to concede a shot straight at them.

But we were playing well, creating chances….and the other thing that is wrong….we make not scoring goals look easy from good situations.

Two down we were already out of the game but at least we still looked capable. At 3-0 we went into a death spiral that would have shamed Liz Truss.

Absolute shit not much to say really.

Time to play Sarkic now though. Sa let's the 2nd dribble through his fanny and he's beaten at his near post for the 3rd again. Sick of it.

Gestifute were critical to Fosun's football adventure, that investment was a cornerstone of their approach, they aren't going to move away from it. They basically bought a club for Mendes.
Well... If only it had happened before at other clubs and someone could have seen it coming.

Sa - not obviously at fault for the goals but still managed to squeeze in one brain fart that could have lead to a goal.
Jonny. One dreadful touch lead to a booking and then conceding which totally changed the game. Such moments are regular parts of his game and I'm half expecting Scooby Doo and his mates to unmask him to find someone like Elokobi. Since his injury he's been closer to L1 level than PL. Waiting until after the third goal to replace him was ridiculous.
Bueno. Did ok, nothing more but at the moment ok stands out as better than most.
Kilman and Collins. I'm sure both would benefit from an experienced head alongside them, but Lage didn't like experienced CHs so we are where we are.
Neves. Based on recent performances you'd have to question why Barca would want him. For a supposed top player his influence on too many games is negligible and today was a perfect example. If his leaving means Nunes can play deeper maybe it won't be the end of the world some are predicting.
Moutinho. I thought at Palace we finally had a manager who recognised his limitations. Did exactly what I expect these days, neat and tidy but nowhere near mobile enough to be playing regularly in the PL, especially if alongside Neves.
Nunes. Zero confidence, played out of position and struggling with that and adapting to the pace of the PL. So far on a par with Donk.
Traore. Bright start but everything he touched after 20 minutes was poor.
Pod. Entering my top three of most annoying Wolves players ever. The moment in the first half when Bueno had the whole left side of the pitch free and Pod dithered and tried to be clever and lost the ball was the lowlight of a shocking performance.
Costa. Tectonic plates moves quicker and tortoises can jump higher. In the circumstances it was a gamble worth taking but it has failed and will continue to do so. I refuse to believe we could be any worse with Guedes there, Hwang maybe not.

Subs. All came on after we were 3-0 down so unfair to judge.

Davis. A shocker from starting Moutinho through to sticking with Jonny and Costa so long.

Overall a bright first 10 minutes but our confidence is more brittle than an overcooked poppadum. If Coady was here the answer might be 5 at the back, but he isn't. If we stick with things as they are relegation is nailed on but i'm not sure what could be done that would make any difference. They say it's the hope that kills, at the moment I'm all out of hope and best we can look forward to is starting a rebuild for the Championship in January. Just need to find a manager to oversee it.

We’re in big trouble. Worse than under Lage because the players are giving up now. A national league manager at best in charge and those above him have no clue.

Listening to what Saiss said to talking Wolves lots of people within football realise we’re a bat shit mental club. Don’t see a way out because getting rid of everyone is not an option.

Fortunately I've been working all day and had no way of tracking the game (no WiFi and very patchy 4G) so got home to find the score. Colour me shocked. Was it as bad as it seems?

If Nuno wants it give it to him. He'll keep us up and the whole place will get a lift. Worry about the 'strategy' and appointing an 'outstanding candidate' next year if you like. Or do nothing and get Mowbray in next summer to spearhead a promotion charge 🙄

The answer was always move to a back 4 and get rid of Nuno, then life would be peachy. Wonder what the answer is now?
Boris Johnson is apparently the man to sort out shitshows, maybe get him in?

On the team/playing staff.

I’m not convinced by Collins at all. Kilman’s form has dropped off a cliff. Because of the way we binned off Coady, we now can’t switch back to three at the back, nor would I want us too. But with these two at centre half, we’re not keeping many clean sheets this season. Especially with Sa looking like gifting the opposition a goal a game. Sa shouldn’t be letting in Maddison’s goal at his near post, but the game was dead as soon as they went 1-0 up anyway.

Jonny has been a disgrace recently but I (and others) have given him leeway in case it was rustiness coming back from injury. But I have no doubt in my mind now that the blokes got a bad attitude and doesn’t want to be here. You fell out with Lage and effectively stopped playing to your ability. The club sacked him and now you’ve somehow got worse? His effort levels were a joke today - he should be embarrassed.

Nunes clearly didn’t want the move here & it seems like Mendes had a word in his ear to force it through. He looks like a league 1 midfielder - not one of the “hottest prospects in world football”. No idea how he doesn’t score his 1 on 1 in the first half - but his quality on the ball is miles away from where we need him to be.

Moutinho has regressed terribly and offers nothing. It’s a shame to see a legend playing like this.

Neves, for me, doesn’t want to be here. He’s starting to ruin the legacy that he’s worked hard to achieve, because for me, he knows that it makes no difference what league we’re in next season - he’s off anyway. I’d take the money in the next window and reinvest it in players that want to be here that can give us a fighting chance in the Championship next season.

Don’t know where to start with the front three, so won’t bother. As I’ve said, we won’t score 15 goals as a squad this season.

What’s worse, the players waiting in the wings - Semedo, Hwang, Ait-Nouri, Hodge etc are either woefully out of form or not good enough, so Davis has his hands tied behind his back. I feel sorry for the bloke.
You missed Guedes 27m and must be such an arse off the field that he can't get on it

Fortunately I've been working all day and had no way of tracking the game (no WiFi and very patchy 4G) so got home to find the score. Colour me shocked. Was it as bad as it seems?
With a smidge of hindsight it's a weird one; in many ways it was the most promising performance we've put together in ages in terms of creating decent chances (I say this having not seen the xG numbers, tbf). Equally, out of possession the players looked clueless, disinterested, tired, or some combination of the three.

But ultimately the score is exactly what we deserved.

Which proves he’s been involved in tactics for a long time imo. Time to go.
What I can't figure out is that he seems to think we're still playing five at the back. You can't have a CB step into the spot Matheus is vacating and leave Kilman with all that space to cover by himself.

Score first or second and it may have been different. We didn't so it wasn't and after the third an embarrassment with players not even going through the motions. The e&s video is pretty accurate

Back