• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - Huddersfield 1 - an irrelevant game with an irrelevant scoreline verdict t

I just struggle to think that any manager would have our current squad competing for promotion. When we're at full strength under Paul (when Cav and Costa play together) we've genuinely been very good. When we're not at full strength, we've been $#@!, because IMO no amount of genius tactics can overcome a vacuous midfield.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You do realise it is Paul Lambert that keeps picking this midfield? (or maybe Thelwell and the clique if you believe the rumours).

I have made my concern about our owners known, but because it does not follow the forum line then it means I am a WUM. Sadly that is a predictable response on here, and one that I take little notice of. I am now well used to being attacked on here, and there are clearly a few posters who take every opportunity to attack any comments I make, but again I am used to that given the disgraceful personal attack on me last year.

For what it is worth, while I would never dream of putting Fosun in the same bracket as the Bhatti Brothers, I am not overly convinced about them. With all their money they have made what in my opinion have been two poor managerial appointments. They still allow Thelwell to control the playing side, and as a result some players who should have been moved on have been given new contracts.

While I accept that Fosun may not be experts in football, I would have thought that a successful outfit such as them would have had expert advice before buying the club. That in my opinion has not happened as our current squad and league position are testimony to.

If Fosun do get things right, then I will happily apologise, but in the meanwhile as this very disappointing season draws to a close, then I am entitled to criticise them, and should be able to do so without silly name calling.

I have made my concern about our owners known, but because it does not follow the forum line then it means I am a WUM. Sadly that is a predictable response on here, and one that I take little notice of. I am now well used to being attacked on here, and there are clearly a few posters who take every opportunity to attack any comments I make, but again I am used to that given the disgraceful personal attack on me last year.

For what it is worth, while I would never dream of putting Fosun in the same bracket as the Bhatti Brothers, I am not overly convinced about them. With all their money they have made what in my opinion have been two poor managerial appointments. They still allow Thelwell to control the playing side, and as a result some players who should have been moved on have been given new contracts.

While I accept that Fosun may not be experts in football, I would have thought that a successful outfit such as them would have had expert advice before buying the club. That in my opinion has not happened as our current squad and league position are testimony to.

If Fosun do get things right, then I will happily apologise, but in the meanwhile as this very disappointing season draws to a close, then I am entitled to criticise them, and should be able to do so without silly name calling.

Try doing it without making stuff up like "FOSUN promised the earth" and you might get somewhere...

Someone's holding a grudge...

For me the owners are what they are, very rich and hands off. Owning a football club for these people isn't a labour of love - it is corporate social responsibility. Whatever your thoughts of Jack Hayward and Steve Morgan, neither put the the club at any risk, Jack because he bailed us out and Steve because he made it largely a self sufficient operation. If Fosun decide they've had enough we could be facing a whole load of trouble if they bail at the wrong time.

That said, they are here and they have invested heavily and give every indication that they will continue to do so. There will probably be an element of pride that will keep Fosun involved until there have been some achievements on the field. From day 1 they have spoken about medium term success rather than short term. I think they will have little patience when it comes to managers though and a poor start next season will see Lambert on his way sooner rather than later.

I don't think Lambert can be properly judged on the squad he inherited, I am more than willing to see who he brings in over the summer and give him a chance next summer and see what he does with a squad he has had some influence over. I think there will be a fair few going out over the summer including some who have signed contracts recently.

Maybe if you didn't repeat the same line that you have made up ad nauseum then people may take your concerns as discussion points. As it is you repeat baseless quotes that have been debunked time and again which is why people call you out for wummery.

And you deserve every little seriph of it in my opinion.

Disgraceful personal attack. :ursofunny:

Yup, defriending someone because they keep posting Britain First shite on facebook, despite several gentle warnings is absolutely vicious.

OK, so apparently another poor performance, but aren't we forgetting that the season - in the competitive sense - is well and truly over for our part? I can understand perfectly well those of you who are less than pleased at having spent time, money and emotional effort watching 90 mins of complete rubbish, but it could hardly have come as a surprise.

I'm not trying to excuse poor effort or anything - football is an entertainment business and there are a lot of people who care deeply about the performance of their club - but in the real world Lambert at the moment has other priorities than grinding out results while risking the fitness of our best creative players. That starting line up is basically shouting preseason at you, throwing in two players who have been left out for six weeks because of poor form, one recently returned long term absentee and one untried teenager. The manager knows he'll be here next season and with a sizeable budget to improve the squad. At the same time the squad is far too big and he will definitely not want to go into preseason without losing at least some of the deadwood. This is last chance saloon for players like Bod, Price, Iorfa, Saville, Silvio etc. who need to prove they are up to the task. Fielding a team full of teenagers as some have suggested would be a bit pointless as well, as you need at least a few older heads (irrespective of how good they actually are) to keep some structure and give those on trial a fair chance to prove themselves. Most of the work with formations and such in preparation for next season will be going on at the training ground and I am not sure we should read too much into actual performances right now, however hopeless it might seem.

Yup, it's not fun when your team is losing, even less so when you are actually watching it and living with it all around you. But while all is not rosy I do see glimpses of potential here and there, and it really is about time we gave someone the chance to build something better than the mess we've had the last few years.

You do realise it is Paul Lambert that keeps picking this midfield? (or maybe Thelwell and the clique if you believe the rumours).
Aye, but he has no options. Even Saïss has been pretty terrible lately, and on paper he's the best we've got and by some distance.

Try doing it without making stuff up like "FOSUN promised the earth" and you might get somewhere...
I think it's the "I have my own opinion and am hated for it" line that really grates.

No problem with opinions. I'm sure for instance that not everyone thinks the same way I do about every single player on our books, I wouldn't expect them to.

The problem is that when you post an opinion that isn't really based on any kind of fact or evidence, and it gets totally debunked repeatedly, and there's no real riposte to it other than going quiet on the subject for a day or two, and then just repeating the original opinion wholesale as if the previous conversation never happened. I believe sociologists call it Essexism.

Frank is a reasonable guy and I for one would be more than willing to properly discuss Fosun with him, in the context of what they've done, how they compare to our previous owners or other owners in the league and try to find out exactly why he distrusts them so much and has a point of view that is so skewed from that of literally everyone else. If that's on the agenda then great. If it's more of "2016/17 has been rubbish and it's all Fosun's fault" then I'm not sure I want any part in that.

As we have broken our transfer record twice, invested in other players, made a decisive change when Zenga obviously wasn't working out, will end up muddling around in mid-table which is better than we would have done under Absentee Steve, the off field side of the club in terms of PR, website, ticket offers etc has clearly improved since Moxey's tenure and this is all from a background of taking over a fortnight before the season started with a rancid squad, a lame duck manager and they then got stiffed by their #1 target to replace him, I'm not sure they could have done *that* much more without dropping insanely lucky. Have they made mistakes, of course. Like pretty much every owner ever.

Too early to say whether Lambert is a poor appointment or not IMO. I'm not especially enthused by him but he has shown *some* good signs. He isn't going anywhere either. The season was dead (other than don't go down) when he came in and there is no real prospect we could have signed loads of top class players because we obviously weren't going up...let's see what the next four and a bit months brings, eh.

As I say, willing to discuss any and all of these points or anything additional, if you want to question them, let's do it. Probably needs its own thread but you know where the "Create Thread" button is...

Aye, but he has no options. Even Saïss has been pretty terrible lately, and on paper he's the best we've got and by some distance.

He's consistently picking Edwards who was actively detrimental to the team last night. Doherty before him was the same, Dicko, Bod the same. It's piss poor management and his team selection has been erratic if you are being kind and downright abysmal if we're being honest.

I just struggle to think that any manager would have our current squad competing for promotion. When we're at full strength under Paul (when Cav and Costa play together) we've genuinely been very good. When we're not at full strength, we've been shit, because IMO no amount of genius tactics can overcome a vacuous midfield.

This is why I am willing to give Lambert a bit of a break, although I am quite concerned. Even with a limited squad, I had hope for a bit more of an identity. This was my same issue with Zenga (Above everything else).

Wait, what was that about Doherty's sister?

Still not sure about Lambert - too many random changes of the squad & no real discernible pattern of play that he is trying to instill (even allowing for the fact that we may not have the players to actually achieve that).

Am prepared to give him the start to next season & see who comes in/goes out and see whether we have an identifiable policy after a few weeks of the season proper - if not then his time may well be up

He does have options. He doesn't have to play Edwards every week for a start. He doesn't have to play with 2 sitting midfielders. He doesn't have to bring players in from the wilderness every so often to play in there like Saville and Price when they haven't played for weeks. He could try one of the kids like Herc for example. He could have tried Doherty there who could be more suited to to it that full back (sounds crazy but he did used to play there and has skills that transfer) He could try having a style of play other than pressing every so often.

There are plenty of things he could have done but he's failed to do any.

He does have options. He doesn't have to play Edwards every week for a start. He doesn't have to play with 2 sitting midfielders. He doesn't have to bring players in from the wilderness every so often to play in there like Saville and Price when they haven't played for weeks. He could try one of the kids like Herc for example. He could have tried Doherty there who could be more suited to to it that full back (sounds crazy but he did used to play there and has skills that transfer) He could try having a style of play other than pressing every so often.

There are plenty of things he could have done but he's failed to do any.
At this point I don't rate any of them and I don't think that chucking Herc in the deep end is really a good option.

At this point I don't rate any of them and I don't think that chucking Herc in the deep end is really a good option.

So you don't approve of his use of Gibbs-White and Ronan?

He could have tried picking a team that didn't contain edwards. Or played full backs at full back. Or at least midfielders who can cross a ball if they're playing full back and that's a key part of his system. Or a number 10 who can create on a consistent basis. Or implement a style of play that could take us somewhere. Or play the guy he bought as a striker as a striker and not as a shit winger. Or tried for some kind of consistency of selection. Or demonstrated some improvements in tactics. Or set plays. Or mentality.

Or anything positive really. The players aren't good enough, clearly. But he's done nothing to make us think he has plans in place to massively improve next season.

So you don't approve of his use of Gibbs-White and Ronan?
I don't mind it in those cases because we have other quality options in their positions. Relatively speaking.

I also think center midfield is a whole different beast on its own.

Back