• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 v 1 Leeds: The Verdict Thread

Is it time for the mods to make this forum over 16s only, unless accompanied by a responsible adult

So I am still confused as to what formation we were playing yesterday and by the looks of it so is everyone else. It all depends how Zenga wants to play it does he a) decide who he wants to play then fit a formation and tactic around them or b) pick a formation and tactic and the players that fit each position best. I am more for b) purely based on the fact we have several creative players but don't seem to score many goals in these other formations utilising wing forwards. I like a big man little man combo up front - we have that IMO... I also like a tough tackling holding midfielder and a decent box to box midfielder I also believe we have that (not Edwards!!) either way that's for Zenga to decide but if we don't start winning fast he won't have the ability to make that decision any more and that makes me sad. I always try to stay positive but it's getting harder with each game now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

So I am still confused as to what formation we were playing yesterday and by the looks of it so is everyone else.

I think the players might have been as well!

I think the players might have been as well!
You could well be right I wonder if Zenga is struggling to get his ideas across.

You could well be right I wonder if Zenga is struggling to get his ideas across.

He's definitely struggling, in fact i'm not sure he knows what his ideas are. I said earlier we basically ended up 4-4-2 yesterday whereas we probably ended up playing 4-2-2-2 when it looked like Walter wanted us to play 4-2-3-1 with Bod behind Dicko.

There's little things though that lead me to believe he hasn't got a clue and those little things add up, just for example Edwards hung around on the edge of the box on corners yesterday when players like Cavaleiro etc were in the box, now i'm not the biggest fan of Dave Edwards footballing ability but one thing he can do is head the ball.

That is very worrying to read. agree on Edwards his heading ability is a massive strength of his.

It's all very muddled. We actually didn't look too bad in the first half although both forwards looked off the pace. Just offered nothing after half time though save for speculative long rangers and a late chance for Costa which he should have buried. I'm still waiting to see what his tactical identity is, I don't know if we play on the counter, if we play long or short, what he's asking the midfield to do, ditto the wide forwards and full backs.

0-0 would have been about right as Leeds were no better. But we gifted them a goal through a bloke who was a disaster zone all day, shocking tackle for his booking, caught out with a ball over the top near half time when they should have scored. You can tell when his attitude is off, he does a stupid little jog/hop thing and generally looks like he's been on the Guinness pre match. The manager should have spotted that and taken him off before he cost us because it was obviously coming.

On Edwards, he had a quality game yesterday as has been said. The problem is that there's not a single position on the pitch that he plays in an 'Orthodox' fashion. Saiss also had a good game but between the two of them they never looked like wrestling control from a very average Leeds midfield. They were less than the sum of their parts yesterday and added to Hause, Doherty, Bodvarsson & Dicko having stinkers it left us looking all a bit disjointed.

On Leeds, I was very impressed with Pontus Jansson, Kyle Bartley and Luke Aisling at the back for them. They look like quality options fir this level and we struggled to get much change out of them. A player like Jansson at the heart of our defense would improve us immeasurably and must be a priority in the January transfer window.

On Edwards, he had a quality game yesterday as has been said. The problem is that there's not a single position on the pitch that he plays in an 'Orthodox' fashion. Saiss also had a good game but between the two of them they never looked like wrestling control from a very average Leeds midfield. They were less than the sum of their parts yesterday and added to Hause, Doherty, Bodvarsson & Dicko having stinkers it left us looking all a bit disjointed.

On Leeds, I was very impressed with Pontus Jansson, Kyle Bartley and Luke Aisling at the back for them. They look like quality options fir this level and we struggled to get much change out of them. A player like Jansson at the heart of our defense would improve us immeasurably and must be a priority in the January transfer window.

Given how our midfield is at the moment I am tempted to suggest 3-1-4-2 and give midfield cover

Ikeme

Iorfa Batth CBJ

Saiss

Tex Coady Edwards Costa

Bod. Dicko

Given how our midfield is at the moment I am tempted to suggest 3-1-4-2 and give midfield cover

Ikeme

Iorfa Batth CBJ

Saiss

Tex Coady Edwards Costa

Bod. Dicko

I'm not sure Tex and Costa would be the best wing backs...

I Would be tempted to play Joao deeper though and I feel we could get away with it with Saiss alongside him and Silvio/CBJ at full back. We'd be able to keep possession well as when the full backs pushed up you'd have Silvio - Teixeira - Saiss - CBJ across the middle of the pitch. Maybe with Oniangue/Edwards ahead of that in a 4-2-3-1.

was Oniangue unfit yesterday - haven't seen any comment as to why he didn't make the bench - or am i wrong ?

Was there yesterday. Short verdict from me - very, very disappointed.

Assume I caught Jon Dadi on an off day because he was dreadful. Terrible first touch, won nothing in the air, absolutely zero goal threat. He doesn't look fit.

Doherty - fucking disgrace of a performance. Caught under the ball three times in the first half, booked, got an absolute roasting from Zenga and just did everything he could to avoid looking over. The less said about the goal the better. I don't want to see him in the side again in the near future.

For me, the substitutions said it all. They are supposed to change a game in your favour, but after our substitutions we looked like 11 strangers. No one looked like they knew what we were doing and Leeds won't get an easier 1-0 to close out. Our midfield just isn't working - whether that's the personnel or the formation I have no idea. But I just didn't get Tex's role and that only got worse when John came on.

Worse of all, Leeds were no better then us and another game has passed us by where we really should have been getting three points and we've left with nothing.

Simply put, it just isn't good enough. Blame Zenga if you like, but most of our team haven't got a brain between them which probably makes his job quite hard.

Was there as well - most of my thoughts have been given already, but what worries me is that there is not a 'team' out there, merely 10 (plus Ikeme) players in the same outfits.

I couldn't see any plan in action & don't think that most of them knew what they were trying to be. Doherty returned to his normal level & I had to look away at times, Dicko is still half a second/yard short in thought & deed, but will only get that back by playing, Jon Dadi was not at the races yesterday & should have been subbed as didn't look fully fit.

I like Zenga's enthusiasm & passion & gave him some slack when he first arrived as no pre season & a lot of turnover in the squad, but we'eve had 14 league games now & we should be seeing signs of a settled style/plan/team by now - we aren't. Suspect he hasn't got much longer unless he can change this.

Still - had a good weekend. Nice to meet up with Lemon again & meet Jabba & Mrs.

Lycan - hopefully you had a good nights sleep seeing as how early you turned in. The rest of us went back to the hotel when they threw us out of the Moon at 1.30am - lightweight youngsters, can't stand the pace really :icon_smile:

Oh and as an aside to the above can part of the SB stop singing the Saville & Paedo songs whenever Leeds come to town.

It's nowt to do with football & is cringeworthy

Oh and as an aside to the above can part of the SB stop singing the Saville & Paedo songs whenever Leeds come to town.

It's nowt to do with football & is cringeworthy

Agreed, drawback of being in the Southbank for me, kid about 10/11 singing it along with his Dad just to the side of me, no fucking hope!

Back