• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 v 1 Leeds: The Verdict Thread

Just watched the 'highlights?' - Doherty's performance for their goal was even worse than it looked live (it was the other end of the pitch to me) - so many chances to deal with it, so little action on his part

Before the summer takeover we had a group of players who struggled to pass the ball, after the takeover we signed another group of players who also struggle to pass the ball.
So my verdict is I'm not surprised we continue to struggle passing the ball because the recruitment focused on the wrong type of players.

Before the summer takeover we had a group of players who struggled to pass the ball, after the takeover we signed another group of players who also struggle to pass the ball.
So my verdict is I'm not surprised we continue to struggle passing the ball because the recruitment focused on the wrong type of players.

Who is it we've recruited that you think can't pass? They're all very technical IMO. The problem is with the back 4, if you want to pass out from the back it has to start with them. Edwards as 1 of a midfield 2 doesn't help as he doesn't offer a shirt option. It's the blend of old and new that's the problem.

Edwards as 1 of a midfield 2 doesn't help as he doesn't offer a shirt option.

Hoping that changes when Evans returns. Walter is a fan of young Lee and replacing Edwards is the obvious move there

Who is it we've recruited that you think can't pass? They're all very technical IMO. The problem is with the back 4, if you want to pass out from the back it has to start with them. Edwards as 1 of a midfield 2 doesn't help as he doesn't offer a shirt option. It's the blend of old and new that's the problem.

Put it this way the only player in Wolves first eleven on saturday who could pass and move was Romain Saïss, that can't be right.

Put it this way the only player in Wolves first eleven on saturday who could pass and move was Romain Saïss, that can't be right.

Teixeira, Costa, Silvio, Bodvarsson & Dicko can all pass and move. Silvio was the only one who had a good 90 minutes (Tex had a good first half) but that doesn't mean they're not capable.

It's passing and moving in the right areas, though. We don't have a cutting edge and we don't play the right passes in the final third, which is why we aren't scoring goals.

On Saturday Dicko could have squared it to Bod to stick in an empty net and dallied about with the ball before losing it. There was another occasion where Tex did all the hard work and beat two players, got to the byline and then just lopped an awful cross to the back of the area when there was an easy pull back on.

I was sat next to Del Woppio & Banjo and lost count of the number of times we said "there's not a brain on the pitch".

It's all very well knocking the ball around the back four, into the feet of Saiss and then back to the defenders again - but that won't win games of football.

Zenga needs to quickly inject some fresh ideas and enthusiasm in to this team. We definitely have technical players who can pass a football in our squad - it's getting them to play together and in the right areas that is the key.

Teixeira, Costa, Silvio, Bodvarsson & Dicko can all pass and move. Silvio was the only one who had a good 90 minutes (Tex had a good first half) but that doesn't mean they're not capable.

Of those the front two didn't pass well, neither are match fit so thats fair enough. Teixera has an ability when carrying the ball but his pass selection is hopeless while Costa flatters to deceive with his final ball well below standard.
At the moment there is a complete breakdown in linkplay through midfield into the strikers.

Teixera has an ability when carrying the ball but his pass selection is hopeless while Costa flatters to deceive with his final ball well below standard.

Completely disagree with this. The forwards aren't the problem here.

It's passing and moving in the right areas, though. We don't have a cutting edge and we don't play the right passes in the final third, which is why we aren't scoring goals.

On Saturday Dicko could have squared it to Bod to stick in an empty net and dallied about with the ball before losing it. There was another occasion where Tex did all the hard work and beat two players, got to the byline and then just lopped an awful cross to the back of the area when there was an easy pull back on.

I was sat next to Del Woppio & Banjo and lost count of the number of times we said "there's not a brain on the pitch".

It's all very well knocking the ball around the back four, into the feet of Saiss and then back to the defenders again - but that won't win games of football.

Zenga needs to quickly inject some fresh ideas and enthusiasm in to this team. We definitely have technical players who can pass a football in our squad - it's getting them to play together and in the right areas that is the key.

While not disagreeing with you, I have to wonder why we did not strengthen adequately in defence in the summer. Batth and Doherty are just not good enough, but will continue to be picked every game.

Doherty has been fine this season....Saturday apart. He hasn't done not a lot a wrong and was in the team on merit. Danny Batth is also fine, a couple of mistakes but pick me a defender in any team that doesn't make them. I watched a £50m defender make a shocker yesterday.

We made an error not properly getting in another centre back. We had a player lined up, he didn't want to come and we went and signed Stearman. I expect this position to be a priority in January. That signing will play alongside Batth.

I will worry about replacing Batth when we are out of this Division.

Doherty has been fine this season....Saturday apart. He hasn't done not a lot a wrong and was in the team on merit. Danny Batth is also fine, a couple of mistakes but pick me a defender in any team that doesn't make them. I watched a £50m defender make a shocker yesterday.

We made an error not properly getting in another centre back. We had a player lined up, he didn't want to come and we went and signed Stearman. I expect this position to be a priority in January. That signing will play alongside Batth.

I will worry about replacing Batth when we are out of this Division.

The way we are going under Zenga, we could well be out of this division this season.

Yeah, TBH I think Batth and Doherty are absolutely fine for where we are. Sounds like Doherty had a bit of a mare on Saturday but that's an aberration over the course of this year. He's drastically improved in 2016 so much so that I'm not fussed or worried if I see his name on the team sheet.

We do need to strengthen the back 4 but I'd be looking to bring in a decent defender to play alongside Batth.

If we get promoted, that's the time I'd want them replaced (I don't think ANY of our defenders are capable of playing in the prem as things stand) but that seems like a long way away at the moment.

Zenga won't take us down.

I remember similar comments when Solbakken and Saunders were in charge, and yes I was one who said we will not go down. At the moment we cannot score, are unable to put in two good halves of football, and have a tendency to concede very soft goals. This aligned with constant changes in personal, their positions and tactics make me a little bit concerned.

But hopefully you are correct.

We won't go down. We won't bother the other end of the table either though.

I remember similar comments when Solbakken and Saunders were in charge, and yes I was one who said we will not go down. At the moment we cannot score, are unable to put in two good halves of football, and have a tendency to concede very soft goals. This aligned with constant changes in personal, their positions and tactics make me a little bit concerned.

Ståle would have kept us afloat. Eventually the "bomb squad" would have been exiled by him. Hell, just playing Peszko and Sako at the same time (rather than poor Kevin Foley wide right) would likely have been enough to garner the point we needed at the end.

No telling what would have happened after that, though. Maybe things worked out for the best, in their own way.

I meant, he will be sacked long before it is an issue.

Things are lot a different to when we went Stale to Fuckwitfeatures. We don't have a squad that is all over the place and players that can't/won't play for the manager for starters.

I agree with you on how Walter is using the players. We have moved away from the massive changes from the start of the season and now it is just the little tweaks he is getting wrong (such as playing Bod behind Dicko). If Walter wants to keep his job, then he needs to grow a pair and piss off 3 or 4 players and stop trying to get them in the team to keep them all smiley.

Yeah, TBH I think Batth and Doherty are absolutely fine for where we are. Sounds like Doherty had a bit of a mare on Saturday but that's an aberration over the course of this year. He's drastically improved in 2016 so much so that I'm not fussed or worried if I see his name on the team sheet.

He really isn't, he's improved from being the worst full back in the division - his performance on Saturday was appalling and that's what he used to turn in eight times out of ten, minimum - to one that most of the time looks just about competent and suitable for a mid-table, nothing team. I'd liken it to Fellaini's "improvement" for Man Utd from where he was in his first season. Nothing like the level that either team should be aspiring to, even if it is a lot better than the eyewatering shit that came before it.

Of course we have signed much better players to ensure that we don't have to play him, we just keep doing it regardless.

He really isn't, he's improved from being the worst full back in the division - his performance on Saturday was appalling and that's what he used to turn in eight times out of ten, minimum - to one that most of the time looks just about competent and suitable for a mid-table, nothing team. I'd liken it to Fellaini's "improvement" for Man Utd from where he was in his first season. Nothing like the level that either team should be aspiring to, even if it is a lot better than the eyewatering shit that came before it.

Of course we have signed much better players to ensure that we don't have to play him, we just keep doing it regardless.

I agree with this, he's improved massively and had some very good games but he's not been as good this season as he was at the back end of last and there have been a couple of performances that could have got as bad as Saturday did.

I think the same of Batth as well, he makes far too many defensive errors, he's improved on the ball but he hasn't cut the errors out like at Wigan and at Brighton. Hause is a much better defender and it's him we should be trying to find a partner for. He had a shocking last 20 minutes on Saturday with the ball and kept kicking it our of play but defensively he was still solid.

Back