• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - 0 Millwall: A Nervous Cruise

Alan

…unlucky Del - No chance 😉
Reaction score
I think we're going to have to get used to some one goal leads and protecting them.

Gird your loins, boys and girls, this is going to be one well-cushioned roller coaster.

I've been predicting 1-0s all season so far. Got the goalscorer right this time!

That was a pretty dominant display for me, some good goalkeeping and a bit of shit finishing. Some great football, and rarely looked in any bother

we seem to play too intricate in the final third - trying to create the 'perfect' goal.

Well pleased to be back to winning ways, would have liked a couple more goals against what sounded like a poor Millwall side especially when they were down to 10......suppose thats being a bit greedy though. Will be Interested to hear how Batth and N'Daiye did

Don't think it's fair to say there was anything to be nervous about there - controlled it from start to finish, unlucky not to get another couple, and Millwall's best chances were scrappy at best. Always felt like there was another gear we could have kicked up into if we needed, but it was generally a pretty uneventful matchup between two sides with a decent gap in quality between them.

Batth did ok and N'Daiye looked as if he'd been ever present, very strong and tidy. Vinaigre seemed to be bullied off the ball a lot and could have done with normal support from Boly.

Good win, great goal and dominated possession.

Ref missed loads again, particularly liked Jota tripping their defender when going for a challenge near the thrown in line and then clattering the bloke as it went out for a throw in.

I thought most of the team played well, Baath did very well - it was the perfect kind of game for him

Ruddy - looked solid enough and a couple of smart saves at the death. Was a passenger for periods in the game

Doherty - looked good going forward but sometimes needs to make better use of the space he gets.

Miranda - looked better, cheeky outrageous nutmeg and a good outlet going forward. Not hugely tested by Millwall

Coady - a couple of great blocks clearances, looked more assured in his role

Baath - didn't look out of place in this team. Great in the air, don't think he can be written off just yet!

Vinagre - great on the ball, very skillful. Plays the wing back role perfectly

Saiss - looked nice and assured in midfield. Had a bit more time and space to play

Neves - same as Saiss, great at switching the play

Jota - outstanding, skillful, intelligent and what a strike! Got clattered a few times. Towards the end he learned how to clatter back, which is nice

Marshall - steady on the ball, good comeback game. I think we'd be better with him at RWB

Bonatini - Linked the play nicely, plays the role very well in this team. I don't think he's gonna score loads but he links up play very well

Bright - looked a player when he came on, very skillful and held the ball up well

Cav - not enough time to do much

Ref - missed loads as usual, I do worry

Mostly in control today, Millwall limited to a couple of half chances though it got a tad nervous towards the end. Marshall did not look quite fit enough and in my view didn't connect very well with the others in attack. Better when Bright came on. We are still lacking a bit of urgency I feel, and the only way you can really see us score is through little pieces of individual brilliance, like Jota deciding to casually whack it in from distance rather than challenging the defender one on one. Jota is seriously too good for this league, in case anyone hadn't realised yet. Doc made a couple of poor crosses but played quite well otherwise (before anyone decides to slag him off completely).

Game played almost at training pace at times, the difference in class was massive. Millwall looked poor to me they will do well to stay up IMO.

Jota MOTM liked the look of Ndayie when he came on. Marshall looked fitter than against Southampton and grew into the game hopefully some more minutes for him against Brizzle.

Thought Bonatini had a good game too Shame he couldn't tuck that one away towards the end.

Historically these are fixtures we normally struggle with but we barely broke sweat.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Don't think it's fair to say there was anything to be nervous about there - controlled it from start to finish, unlucky not to get another couple, and Millwall's best chances were scrappy at best. Always felt like there was another gear we could have kicked up into if we needed, but it was generally a pretty uneventful matchup between two sides with a decent gap in quality between them.

Mostly just poking fun at the "sense we need a second goal" comments in the matchday thread.

66% win percentage in the league. Yes, we aren't winning 5-0 every week but this is a very impressive start to the season.

Standout players were:
Saiss
Jota
Coady

Thought Marshall was the poorest, particular looked slow but had patches where he played well.

As for Doc, rightfully in the team on form at the moment. There were a couple of wayward crosses but name a player who has a 100% hit rate with crosses!

Pretty easy. When they went down to 10 men Wolves basically invited them to come after us knowing if they did we would exploit any space they left.

Bonatini could have scored a couple, Neves should have got his first half shot on target and we scuffed a few wide when in good positions.

We don't panic in possession, don't get frustrated and have players with ability worthy of a level above this league.

We took the game away from Millwall and despite a couple of moments near the end they created very little.

I think we will get better as the season goes on.

Cigar and slippers...

A good win and no doubt we were in control, but I do see cause for concern.

On another day Millwall score at the death, and if we keep dominating teams but failing to score more, we are going to snatch draws from the jaws of victories.

For all the nice build up, there can be no denying that we're relatively toothless.

At 1-0 you always give them a chance. They could have very easily scored at the end. If that was Ikeme/Lonergan i think they score

Ref missed loads again, particularly liked Jota tripping their defender when going for a challenge near the thrown in line and then clattering the bloke as it went out for a throw in.

Ref - missed loads as usual, I do worry

Shhhhh... You're only allowed to criticise the ref when we lose...

:icon_wink:

Back