• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Spurs: Verdict Thread

Good win. Much better 2nd half. Midfield is going to be weird I think for a while. There's a non-zero chance next season we could be going into the opening match day starting Lemina-Gomes with Hodge as backup. So much is unknown and it's clear haven't quite found how to fit Nunes into the mix properly.

Just "weird" though, as opposed to the forward line, which is "problematic". This team under Lopetegui has too much talent to go down, but his next miracle after his first one (reversing our form) will be sorting that out.
Think it would have been impossible to sort out all our areas of concern in one go and quickly, seems to me he's concentrated on defence and midfield initially to make us harder to beat.
There have been a few green shoots lately up front, Liverpool at home, first half against Fulham and second half last Saturday. Raul and Cunha link up play especially looks like it could improve our goals for account.

It may be some time before we see the profit sheets in the green, following on from yesterdays news. We’ll no doubt get a hefty fee for Neves (and probably Nunes, but he’s hardly been pulling up trees), but we’ll need to reinvest that in a top class forward and that’s probably the most expensive position to cover.

I disagree with the concerns over central midfield. It will be a sad day when Neves eventually goes, but we’ve got Gomes, Lemina & Bouba Traore who all offer a lot. I suspect we’ll also bring another one in, but the main point is, it’s not completely broken. We do need a player who can find the net on a regular basis, though - and have needed this since Raul’s injury. Time will tell on whether Sasa can offer much, but I have my reservations.

I think people might be surprised at how low a fee we end up with for Neves. Doesn't he go into his final year in the summer?

Depends on your expectation. I think we'll get about £20m, maybe another 5 if more than 1 club is interested and/or Mendes does something shonky

I think he'll sign another deal so we can get more for him but with a minimum release clause.

Wouldn't be surprised if we raised C£100m from player sales this summer.

Think it would have been impossible to sort out all our areas of concern in one go and quickly, seems to me he's concentrated on defence and midfield initially to make us harder to beat.
There have been a few green shoots lately up front, Liverpool at home, first half against Fulham and second half last Saturday. Raul and Cunha link up play especially looks like it could improve our goals for account.
Cunha and Sarabia definitely look like they have a part to play. How they fit with a decent striker and the other wings is the next step

I think he'll sign another deal so we can get more for him but with a minimum release clause.
Leaving it late though unless he won't sign until we are guaranteed to be a PL club next season, just incase no one is interested

Depends on your expectation. I think we'll get about £20m, maybe another 5 if more than 1 club is interested and/or Mendes does something shonky
I'd hope more than 20m even if he is in his final year of contract. There's no doubt other fans/clubs don't see him anywhere near what we do. I'd hope 35-40, less than 30m would be disappointing imv.

Valuations plummeting in the final year of a contract doesn't really happen any more, it's not 2003.

Clubs won't wait and hope they can sign him on a free a year later.

Valuations plummeting in the final year of a contract doesn't really happen any more, it's not 2003.

Clubs won't wait and hope they can sign him on a free a year later.
This is true but what happens with Neves will come down to how much we are still in bed with Jorge.

If he is still comfy under the duvet and being spooned by Jeff the Payrise Chief then we get lowballed. If he is standing by the door telling Jeff he is scared and can he get in bed with him - £50m min.

Cheers for the decent reply.

I have reservations on Sasa due to his lack of pace and sketchy injury record.

I was probably one of the most positive on here with the signings of Dawson & Lemina when others were underwhelmed, so not sure what your angle is here.

Last edited:
Cheers for the decent reply.

I have reservations on Sasa due to his lack of pace and sketchy injury record.

I was probably one of the most positive on here with the signings of Dawson & Lemina when others were underwhelmed, so not sure what your angle is here.
All you do is bloody moan.

Neither you nor I have any idea if Sasa is good enough and you have absolutely no idea if his pace will be a problem based on 40 minutes of play.

(And a fine piece of Whataboutery on Dawson and Lemina, no links though...)

This is about you wanting to buy more players as you think that will solve your perceived problem.

JL has proved that he can improve players to achieve a better team. Who knows what he can do with Neto, Sasa, Chiquinho and Silva. He motivated Raul well enough last Saturday.

All you do is bloody moan.

Neither you nor I have any idea if Sasa is good enough and you have absolutely no idea if his pace will be a problem based on 40 minutes of play.

(And a fine piece of Whataboutery on Dawson and Lemina, no links though...)

This is about you wanting to buy more players as you think that will solve your perceived problem.

JL has proved that he can improve players to achieve a better team. Who knows what he can do with Neto, Sasa, Chiquinho and Silva. He motivated Raul well enough last Saturday.
Ah, it’s your time of the month. Gotcha.

I think we'll get about £20m, maybe another 5 if more than 1 club is interested and/or Mendes does something shonky
I'm shocked!!
When earlier a good bit earlier we were talking about 40 million for Traore...
Now I know he's probably worth about 20 million maybe more if we can sell his potential, but surely we'll get 40 or 50 for Ruben?

A word on Jonny Castro . Was almost certain we'd never see him starting for Wolves again . Then one injury and he gets preferred over RAN .
Played well too , steady all through and should hold his place now .

Great too see one of our stalwarts get another chance .

Not sure what it says about RAN though .

A word on Jonny Castro . Was almost certain we'd never see him starting for Wolves again . Then one injury and he gets preferred over RAN .
Played well too , steady all through and should hold his place now .

Great too see one of our stalwarts get another chance .

Not sure what it says about RAN though .
I love Jonny, was my favourite player of the Nuno era, so glad to see him have a decent game. He obviously isn't anywhere near what he was before injury as regards athleticism but he seems to have developed a way of mitigating that a bit.
Guess JL picked him for his defensive experience over RAN, wouldn't be surprised to see them swapped at the weekend.

Back