• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 Spurs: Verdict Thread

Thread has taken an usual twist. If you have access to the internet then there's not a Wolves league game you couldn't watch if you wanted to, so no idea why you'd look to the live match thread for commentary. If you didn't see it and want a more detailed breakdown then read the verdict thread

I love watching the game, and then reading the match day thread back afterwards.

Almost always bears no resemblance to the game I've just watched, or to reality in general. It's like PMQs with added hyperbole.
I love it, it's like hyperbole is not a strong enough word to describe some of things typed and I'm at work with no other access to information

Last edited:
Thread has taken an usual twist. If you have access to the internet then there's not a Wolves league game you couldn't watch if you wanted to, so no idea why you'd look to the live match thread for commentary. If you didn't see it and want a more detailed breakdown then read the verdict thread

The verdicts - a few understandable emotional tirades aside right after the final whistle - are mainly very good, I always enjoy reading them.

The matchday threads are as accurate a representation of what is happening as GB news.

The verdicts - a few understandable emotional tirades aside right after the final whistle - are mainly very good, I always enjoy reading them.

The matchday threads are as accurate a representation of what is happening as GB news.
I have never been dragged so hard in my life.

There's always a weird snobbery over match thread comments, which in reality aren't any different to what you hear in the ground. People see the game differently, people express themselves differently, people have different dispositions and different plays/players that they like and don't like. They aren't a commentary and they aren't a clinical analysis.

I don't have Sky/BT and not keen on streaming so sometimes follow the game via the matchday thread, usually I find it useful but take all the comments that are obviously ott with a pinch of salt. Then for a more accurate version of what actually happened I check the verdict thread.

There's always a weird snobbery over match thread comments, which in reality aren't any different to what you hear in the ground. People see the game differently, people express themselves differently, people have different dispositions and different plays/players that they like and don't like. They aren't a commentary and they aren't a clinical analysis.
There are people on there that shall we say aren't overly positive, I leave it to my good friend Alexander O'Neal

As opposed to the famously patient and unwavering support in the ground, where frustrations are left at the turnstiles? Football fans get worked up watching football matches, whether it be from the terraces, the sofa or the pub

I get the negativity tbf. I bristle at it, but I get it.

Lived with it my whole life via my father. Type of guy who can walk away from a 56-7 win (Am. footy) more furious about the touchdown conceded than happy about the 56 points scored. He’s otherwise a genuinely logical guy in his thinking.

Emotions make fools of us all, just all in our own ways. And what elicits emotion like sport?

The continual expectation of perfection grates in real time, tbh. Just as much as having a relentless negative dickhead sat next to you/near you in the ground does (and we'll all have experienced that, and it's just annoying).

Principally though if I'm watching a Wolves game on TV, I very rarely comment on the matchday thread in play because I want to watch the game, not type out tons of text. Maybe a note or two at half time but that's about it. In fact, possibly a bit more under Lage if we were losing, because I knew the result was pretty much already guaranteed, we're going to lose. Doesn't apply any more, thank the Lord.

Each to their own though. I don't have to read it or get involved, so I don't. Some people find it useful. Not realistic though to expect people to type thorough descriptions of events for others who may or may not be reading. As stated, there are far better places than this forum for that. Liam's Twitter is fine for that - none of the failed comedy of Spiers, just a decent account of what's happening.

I do try to put a proper verdict up every time.

People in the ground, on the whole, are way more positive than the general mood on the matchday thread. It’s not even close.

People in the ground, on the whole, are way more positive than the general mood on the matchday thread. It’s not even close.
I’d very much agree with that. Caveat for me is that I sit in the family enclosure, so I guess the general view there is fairly reflected by the average of the mascots predictions: we turn up to every match expecting to score 3, get a comfortable win and Podence to have a blinder :)

There was one right behind me in J1 who was insufferable (it once took him a whopping 8 (eight) seconds to slag us off) but beyond that the whole section was fine. Now in SL5 and I still don't hear anything overly negative (@Johnny75 and @Lycan can confirm), it may go a bit flat at times but there's nothing like you get on here.

Having said that I haven't read a matchday thread post kick off for years so I'm just assuming they're the same as or worse than they were.

The continual expectation of perfection grates in real time, tbh. Just as much as having a relentless negative dickhead sat next to you/near you in the ground does (and we'll all have experienced that, and it's just annoying).

Principally though if I'm watching a Wolves game on TV, I very rarely comment on the matchday thread in play because I want to watch the game, not type out tons of text. Maybe a note or two at half time but that's about it. In fact, possibly a bit more under Lage if we were losing, because I knew the result was pretty much already guaranteed, we're going to lose. Doesn't apply any more, thank the Lord.

Each to their own though. I don't have to read it or get involved, so I don't. Some people find it useful. Not realistic though to expect people to type thorough descriptions of events for others who may or may not be reading. As stated, there are far better places than this forum for that. Liam's Twitter is fine for that - none of the failed comedy of Spiers, just a decent account of what's happening.

I do try to put a proper verdict up every time.
Good post, when I do follow the game via it, it's mainly just for (almost) real time news i.e. goals, cards, near misses.
It's usually about 5 minutes ahead of the official Wolves app and the BBC.

I just think one thing on this. If I am at a game (ah man I am going to miss that) or watching it on the box, my initial reaction to a goal is to celebrate the fucker with a quick yes or get in, and then keep watching the match. I'm not the commentator. There are people paid to give that sort of input immediately.

I could go back afterwards and dissect a goal but the immediate impact of a goal is letting out my personal joy at it not describing the move with forensic detail.

I just think one thing on this. If I am at a game (ah man I am going to miss that) or watching it on the box, my initial reaction to a goal is to celebrate the fucker with a quick yes or get in, and then keep watching the match. I'm not the commentator. There are people paid to give that sort of input immediately.

I could go back afterwards and dissect a goal but the immediate impact of a goal is letting out my personal joy at it not describing the move with forensic detail.
Personally I don't mind the 'yeeesss' and 'get the fuck in' comments, makes me feel a teeny tiny bit like I'm there, not as good as having an attractive young woman throw her arms round you when Doc scores the opener in a fa cup semi obviously but I have to get my kicks where I can😆

Genuine question, when did you last go to Molineux for a game?

It's a fair one, things may have changed from my season ticket days. Was last season.

To be clear, when I say the comments aren't any different to what you hear in the ground, I'm not talking about somebody standing up and shouting to the pitch, more turning to their mate and saying 'there's no intensity at all so far' and such. Conversation rather than out and out vitriol, which is how I treat the match day threads certainly

Said hundreds of times before, if my dialogue when at a game was typed up and posted on here as a livestream, I would look a bigger twat than I usually do.

People watching the game and posting on here are doing a mini version of that, instant thoughts kicked out, that when you read them back make for horrible reading. That's why I avoid them, 1 part to stop me getting annoyed at other and t'other because of previously mentioned self twatness

I posted a few things first half on a whatsapp chat that I share with the chaps I used to go with. It feels like I am still a bit connected. Probably the most incisive comment was that we were getting pressed to death in the first fifteen minutes. The rest of it was very much visceral yaaay, fuuuuuucckk, fucking hell ETC ETC. I would be a dreadful commentator.

Back