• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 West Ham: Verdict Thread

Nope. I said I could understand why Bruno went with him at the time, and that RAN was in danger of being over-hyped while on the bench. 'A sackable offence' I believe someone called it?

Having one conservative and one more adventurous WB was a model that served us well, if Bruno wants to have Semedo and RAN together instead that's great if it doesn't cost us defensively, equally in games like yesterday we need some end product
That's what we have now right?

We don't have any alternatives to Semedo in the squad and I don't think it's an area we need to spend any money on.

Watching the MOTD highlights it's striking how much Podence and Semedo were involved in our key moments. I thought Semedo was excellent personally, he's a constant threat going forward and is very sound defensively.

Not everything he does comes off but that can be said about all players really, you only needs one or two things to come off per game. His burst forward which led to the goal was fantastic. He's starting to justify his price tag imo. It's quite exciting as with Ran on the other side we've got two potentially excellent WB's going forward.

He may be a constant threat but if he gets into dangerous positions and then never does anything with it then it's just a constantly unfulfilled threat. How does that justify his price tag? He's been here almost a season and 1/3 now and we're still waiting for the 'one or two things to come off each game'

Last edited:
That's what we have now right?

We don't have any alternatives to Semedo in the squad and I don't think it's an area we need to spend any money on.

I gave him a 7/10, it's not my fault we bought him or have no alternatives, and I haven't even come close to saying we should sell him.

Expecting end product from a high profile signing with pedigree is not unreasonable?

I gave him a 7/10, it's not my fault we bought him or have no alternatives, and I haven't even come close to saying we should sell him.

Expecting end product from a high profile signing with pedigree is not unreasonable?
Depends if that's the only metric you evaluate him by.

My point is that you seem to want the 'complete' RWB who is excellent at everything.

How is Semedo a constant threat if he gets into dangerous positions and then never does anything with it? How does that justify his price tag? He's been here almost a season and 1/3 now and we're still waiting for the 'one or two things to come off each game'
As I said in my post, his drive forward with the ball contributed to the goal. He's always trying to do similar things, positively running with or without the ball. It was his brilliant play that led to our goal against Leeds as well.

Ally that with defensive solidity and you've got a top player imo, if he stays consistent.

Depends if that's the only metric you evaluate him by.

My point is that you seem to want the 'complete' RWB who is excellent at everything.

He's not excellent at anything though. He's fine, I like his energy, and he's had a better defensive season than last, but it wasn't the highest of bars.

If he's having shedloads of possession and getting into potentially dangerous areas then I certainly do want end product, then we're not sweating on a one goal lead when our dominance deserves more.

Let's call players excellent when they're actually being excellent. Kilman, Neves and Raul were excellent yesterday.

As I said in my post, his drive forward with the ball contributed to the goal. He's always trying to do similar things, positively running with or without the ball. It was his brilliant play that led to our goal against Leeds as well.

Ally that with defensive solidity and you've got a top player imo, if he stays consistent.

I hope he cracks it too, but you can't praise him for what he hasn't done yet.

You talked about the potential of our wing backs earlier... Fair enough with RAN, Semedo is 28 ffs!

He didn't really create space for Podence on the goal, if anything to me the opposite happened, he just carried the ball forward a bit and sort of drifted towards the passing options in field as he did so.

Podence went wide of his own accord, either to create an alternative passing option outside or simply to try and drag a defender with him creating space centrally for Raul or Semedo to advance into. Best part of the move for me was that Raul had noticed that run and the space Podence found so played it out to him first time and that really opened West Ham up.

See id disagree with the ‘own accord’ semedo has gone in field, allowing Pod to drift out the wing, which is where semedo would’ve been if he had just run in a straight line.

You have to say he had a big involvement in the goal. We can agree to disagree as to whether he created space by his run or not, but his involvement is still there to see

When people say he was excellent, or praise to that effect, I'd call that within 9/10 boundaries (check Sniffer's breakdown for Alan).

He played well and was always an outlet, but he didn't do much with all that possession, his control let him down several times and he's mostly zero threat to the opposition.

I'm not expecting Reece James but if we're playing wing-backs like this we need Doc Max, Nelson just isn't that kind of player.

By doc max do you mean doc back sorry? Just checking otherwise I’m answering a statement you’ve not made

You have to say he had a big involvement in the goal. We can agree to disagree as to whether he created space by his run or not, but his involvement is still there to see

He made the simplest of passes to Raul, it was Raul and Pod's goal. If Nelson was either crossing or shooting we don't score that goal

You talked about the potential of our wing backs earlier... Fair enough with RAN, Semedo is 28 ffs!

Lingard still had talent and potential at 29! Semedo’s atleast got another year of potential on that metric 😉

He made the simplest of passes to Raul, it was Raul and Pod's goal. If Nelson was either crossing or shooting we don't score that goal

Good run and came inside. Sometimes a simple pass is more productive. See Adama as case study for that

By doc max do you mean doc back sorry? Just checking otherwise I’m answering a statement you’ve not made

Of course I don't want Doc back, I said Doc Max. A better version of Doc. I'm saying if that RWB slot is going to be so swashbuckling we'd benefit as a team from someone who can make tangible goal contributions

Of course I don't want Doc back, I said Doc Max. A better version of Doc. I'm saying if that RWB slot is going to be so swashbuckling we'd benefit as a team from someone who can make tangible goal contributions

Fair enough. Was just clarifying. I didn’t think doc was bad in the system we played 2 years ago tbf. Limited footballer but served his purpose

He's come into the most demanding league in the world playing a position he's never played before (as far as I know), everyone says WB is alot different to FB. Alexander Arnold has struggled to play WB for England despite being arguably the best RB in the world.

My potential comment was more form related, as in if he can maintain this form - with Ran we'll have two very good WB's. I can't think of many WB/FB who are great finishers tbh, they probably wouldn't be playing that position if they were. If he can keep creating as he has been showing recently, that'd be great for me.

He's come into the most demanding league in the world playing a position he's never played before (as far as I know), everyone says WB is alot different to FB. Alexander Arnold has struggled to play WB for England despite being arguably the best RB in the world.

My potential comment was more form related, as in if he can maintain this form - with Ran we'll have two very good WB's. I can't think of many WB/FB who are great finishers tbh, they probably wouldn't be playing that position if they were. If he can keep creating as he has been showing recently, that'd be great for me.

What has he created? By the time he masters the offensive side of WB we'll have moved to a back 4 ;) (where he wasn't exactly brilliant last year).

He's decent, and he'll do. I just don't see why he gets a free pass to be wasteful when he's playing a pivotal role.

Back