• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 West Ham: Verdict Thread

The statement is incorrect, but the sentiment isn't. He looked decent in a couple of pre season kick abouts, one against the side who are bottom of league one and the other to a team who lost to Derby a few days later. Coupled with a League Cup game where he went off after a few minutes. We have no idea what he is

Sorry, left the pitch in the 9th minute of an EFL Cup 3rd round game. We know literally nothing about his potential whatsoever.

We’re 6th without our supposed best centre half having a start this year as well.

Have to give credit to the back 3 who have been fairly solid. Kilman has been a revelation IMO.

Have to give credit to the back 3 who have been fairly solid. Kilman has been a revelation IMO.
Yep, Saiss, Coady and Kilman (the latter being particularly good) who refused to be bullied, concentrated well and stuck to their tasks brilliantly yesterday. Overall the 3 of them have defended well this season, particularly given our expectations of them! I feel that Coady deals better with the bigger players now, Benteke last week (to a lesser extent) and Antonio yesterday.

The player with the ball does not move in a way to create space for someone else, ever, it's the opposite way round.
It was more that you were being critical of Semedo's part in the goal, when he was clearly a planned, intrinsic part of it.

It was more that you were being critical of Semedo's part in the goal, when he was clearly a planned, intrinsic part of it.
I wasn't critical, I just flipped the cause/effect of the space being created out wide. Semedo did his job but it's Podence's move out wide that creates the situation rather than Semedo carrying it inside.

I wasn't critical, I just flipped the cause/effect of the space being created out wide. Semedo did his job but it's Podence's move out wide that creates the situation rather than Semedo carrying it inside.
Surely it’s a combination though? If semedo drives straight Podence roughly occupies the space that Raul is in. By driving inside semedo’s run drags the left back inside, creating space for Podence to move in to? It’s a combination of both, and both deserve credit. Semedo for vacating abs creating the space, then Podence for occupying it?

It was something Doherty did wasn't it?? Where he'd come inside and it'd create space for the wide player (not necessarily with the ball), and it'd possibly mean that Doherty ended up in a goal scoring position himself.

Ultimately we are not going to be able to beome Chelsea, Liverpool or MC in the short term & whilst we all want the best we can be can't see how anyone criticises what was the best performance of the season so far against a side who have done very well and have the saviour of Englands midfield in Rice.

Really no one gets less than 7 (apart from Sa, but only because he didn't have to). There are at least 6 or so MOtM - would probably award it to Podence as he did change the game after the first 15.

When Everton came they were substandard & we dominated - this time WH wern't especially poor, but we still dominated. Could have been more - Fabianski made some decent saves. Defensively we were solid and controlled - Semedo (best game he has had) & Ait Nouri terrorised their defense, but still were sound in defense (Ait Nouri has grown up a bit & the worry I had when he started with is is gone).

Midfield - what do you say. Playing 2 against more could have been a recipe for disaster, but they won that. Both superb - I had to give up sport like this at the age Moutinho is and he's still at the top level (he's either on something - not illegal stuff obviously- or he has an ageing picture in the loft at home).

A beautiful weekend despite the somewhat convoluted travel arrangements I had to do to get there - had to stay at my Son's in Woking, but got to see him & DiL for the weekend so all was good.

It was something Doherty did wasn't it?? Where he'd come inside and it'd create space for the wide player (not necessarily with the ball), and it'd possibly mean that Doherty ended up in a goal scoring position himself.
As you say Doherty made those runs off the ball, often allowing Traore to play more like a traditional winger as he had the flank completely free then. For me it's always the man without the ball that carries the onus for creating, they've so much more freedom with where they can go without having the concern of protecting possession.

It's always a combination but it doesn't make all parts equal. When Semedo first rocked up he used to clog up the right flank something awful with Traore, either foolishly trying to overlap one of the fastest players ever or just hanging 15 yards behind a bloke who never turns around. It was just a complete waste.

As I've already said previously, the key on the goal for me was Jimenez's quick ball out to Podence. I think previously Semedo would've probably played that safe ball outside to Podence as the preference always seemed to be to go around the outside of teams. It was a welcome change to see them back a team mate in a tight spot and for that man to then play out of the congested area, taking several opponents out of the game in doing so. Too often in recent seasons Wolves have been far too safe in possession, treating those situations as too much of a risk and simply going back to recycle the ball through the backline. Long may they continue playing the riskier pass that presents more opportunity to hurt the opponents.

Saw Britney at the top of the steps down to the subway on the way to the ground and people were actually getting their photo taken with him. Absolutely bizarre. He's got an impressively large head though.

Saw Britney at the top of the steps down to the subway on the way to the ground and people were actually getting their photo taken with him. Absolutely bizarre. He's got an impressively large head though.
Bet it’s not as big as Grant Hanley’s!

Was a little surprised how big he is generally on Code Red.

Well the last 3 games have been interesting against 3 good teams . . .

2 outstanding performance and a shit one . . . I just hope we‘re on our game against Norwich.

Just been watching the highlights and admit that I was harsh on Rayan; there were a couple of moments from him that I clearly missed or had forgotten by the end of the match.

where do we stand on the neves slice out to moutinho by the way? I believe it was intentional. motd disagreed.
My initial reaction was that it was a massive slice, after watching again I'm inclined to think he meant it. I'd like to think he did anyway.

Thought we'd get completely outrun in midfield, seemed to me there we were much more compact giving our midfield less ground to cover and allowed our superior technique pay.

Raul was fantastic, everything good went through him, Podence was good. Neves again motm.

No one in the back 5 below a 7. Both wingbacks involved in a lot of our good play. Superb result.

Back