• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 West Ham: Verdict Thread

If you mean that literally then you are going to see a hell of a lot of goals chalked off particularly with VAR. Our goal yesterday is ruled out for a start as Hwang is off when Podence hits it
It’s was tongue in cheek. The rule needs changing/more clarity though

That reminds me, I had such a bizarre dream last night.

I was having a meal with Simon Jordan (yes, that Simon Jordan) who was the owner of Wolves in the dream, and said to him ‘any chance of giving Ruben a new contract’ he replied ‘don’t worry, I don’t make mistakes’

Not sure if that counts as ITK, but I reckon he’s signing a new contract and staying ….

Neves was fucking immense yesterday, & loving what he's said on the OS
https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/mens-...s-the-fans-made-a-fantastic-afternoon-for-us/

semedo bombing forward gives teams something to think about, as til recently, Bueno has been the main outlet. Bueno also had a good game.

Kilman/Collins looked more assured than recently. Not right, but better. The clean sheet will do wonders for them.
Mout & nunes were good, & we lose a little when we take Mout off but lemina did well.

Wanted podence hooked at ht. Let's be honest he contributed fuck all 1st half, & not a lot other than the goal. We know it's 1 good game in 5 with him. I often find the other 4 games too frustrating, because he is capable!
Lot of effort from hwang, & he put himself about a lot. Some good runs, & influenced/affected play.
Cunha looks a real intelligent player. Really liking what I have seen from him.

Again lopetegui made all 5 subs. Assume this is to enable the team to maintain intensity, as well as help us get to the fitness levels he wants.
Do any other managers make the volume of changes he does?

As someone else pointed out I love what he's done with Semedo too. Nelson isn't a danger from outside so he's made him drive inside instead, such a simple change but it's gone from doing something he's really bad at to something which commits defenders and opens up space.

I think the end result is the correct decision as most fans would like to see it. The Rashford and Salah ones weren't even if they were correct decisions as the law is currently worded.

It felt great coming out of Molineux with a Premier League win under our belts again having watched a side that's growing in confidence with every game.

Good performances throughout the side again, should have scored a couple more again, not least Neves's shot off the crossbar and Raul's tidy finish sadly disallowed.

Great to see Cunha getting his first start and he continues to impress but I'd really like to see him playing off Raul who seems to be coming back to the Raul we know under JL.

Neves dictated again, as mentioned the shot that came off the crossbar and that delicious pirouette in the middle of the pitch. Matheus was ok but less impressive than recent outings.

Hooper was another twat of a ref who waved play on most times one of ours went down but blew his whistle every time a West Ham player went down.

Was very impressed with Lemina when he came on, really did a job winning some important challenges and laying the ball off neatly.

I thought that although the final few minutes of the game were understandably nervy, West Ham didn't really threaten us at all. They looked more dangerous when Scamacca came on, can't believe he's behind Antonio who doesn't look the same player he once was but he may be coming back from injury I think. Not sure where Moyesie gets his side deserving the win from but a large slice of self-preservation I suspect.

Exciting times under Lopetegui, a proper manager that exudes confidence and passion and above all, true leadership and ability. I hope to God we survive this season and get to see him properly next season, he is top level and it shows.

Raúl was only just offside, the kind of offside that only VAR finds, however - the defender makes an attempt at the ball to stop the opportunity. It's arguably the same as the Salah goal, except Salah was miles off. Neither should be a goal as they're both against the spirit of the game/purpose of the offside law, irrespective of officials applying the "in control aspect" in the loosest way possible for Salah.

All I keep thinking to myself is thank goodness Lopetegui changed his mind and came here. I don’t think Beale would have turned it around.
I was gutted when Lop turned us down and we seemingly turned to this bloke who had just 14 games under his belt at the time. Thank God we got him in the end!

Raúl was only just offside, the kind of offside that only VAR finds, however - the defender makes an attempt at the ball to stop the opportunity.
He really doesn't. It bounced off the top of his head as he's turning to run after Raul.

The offside is correct. It's just the other ones that are wrong.

He really doesn't. It bounced off the top of his head as he's turning to run after Raul.

The offside is correct. It's just the other ones that are wrong.
Not sure why he wasn't just tracking Jimenez's run all along, properly shit defending to get drawn to the ball like that and leaving a forward running clear in behind him.

Last edited:
Not sure why he was just tracking Jimenez's run all along, properly shit defending to get drawn to the ball like that and leaving a forward running clear in behind him.
Dawson wouldn’t have done that 😉

Not commenting on ind players as that's been done, thoughg would say that Lemina gave us confidence that we would see it out with a win which most of the existing players have lost & end up panicking. Having proper options will seriously help.

Raul does seem to be coming back - was much more like the earlier version which is far more than I thought he could be given what he has been through.

Biggest plus is the fact that JL has reinvigorated this back into a team in such a short time rather than just a collection of players which is what West Ham were. We are not going to tear up any trees this year, but have enough to be around next season then see what is possible.

Ref gets 1/10 and that's being generous. - bloody cold though & had to go back to the hotel & turn the room heating up to sauna level to defrost. They won't have liked the cost, but seeing as their prices have increased by 40% since last year that's the recompense.

Back