• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 West Ham: Verdict Thread

Those days were the best of his career tbf.

Just back in. I'll try to stick within the parameters of acceptable posting, feel free to call me a twat if I stray.

Think it was generally a good performance and a huge 3 points.

Cunha is really likable, won a corner early on and got the crowd going, good pressing and carried the ball well.

Semedo had a good game, really solid defensively and got up and down well. As did Bueno.

Kilman had one of his most assured performances after a really shaky period, couple of really good tackles as West Ham attempted to build up a head of steam in the 2nd half.

Lemina did a great job when he came on and shored us up at a time when Joao had tired and we'd started to lose territory. Couple of really good tackles. Im not anti-Hodge but the drop off from Joao to Lemina compared to Joao to Hodge was stark. If we'd have had Lemina at Villa I'd have fancied us to cling on.

Raul looks like he's getting his smile back, lovely finish for the second, a real shame it was chalked off but he put himself about. If we can get him back it'll only be good news for us and the bloke deserves it.

Felt we made that harder than it need be.

As we build confidence and explore new patterns of play I think that becomes a routine win against what is a very poor side.

One thing I wish we'd do is stop with ball to feet to the full backs, it's rarely in front of them to run on to or between the opposition FB/CH for them to break the line, as it is we hit a dead end and then recycle the ball back into midfield. We need brave running off the ball and also picking those passes.

In the case of Semedo he's objectively one of the worst crosses of the ball so if we can get him onto these balls he can drag the ball back to the striker peeling off rather than asking him to do something he can't do.

Hwang showed willing but unnecessarily dithered on the ball when we created some space for him and I thought Podence had a quieter game excluding the goal. In the first half he inexplicably left a ball across the 18 yard box... the goal proved taking things first time pays off.

All in all a good day at the office, with lots of room to keep improving. Neves commenting on Molineux been like how it used to be was very telling after what I said this morning about been excited to be back. Hopefully that symbiosis continues and we can turn Molineux into what we know it can be.

Tackled him or cut the cross out?

Look. I’m not going to die on this hill. Clearly I’ve seen it differently to others and that’s fair enough - I’m about to crack open a beer and celebrate a massive three points. Not sit arguing over a difference of opinion.
I don’t think it’s that simple though.

With players like Benrahma and Bowen they are most dangerous when they drive inside and get a shot away or combine with the front man. They aren’t really a threat hitting the byline particularly when you’ve got a back 3 and Sa.

So you are pretty much wanting them to to go down the line and forcing it. By doing so you are practically giving them a head start. So naturally he’s going to get a ball of some description in but it’s the type of attack you are best set up to defend against (and counter from ) and the type they are least likely to score from (weak foot so likely worse quality, poor angle, minimal big players). Alternatively you allow him inside where he’s a threat, you over commit and get done giving him the option to get round the outside or you foul him allowing a decent set piece and a yellow card.

He’s not defending against Moutinho out there. He’s forcing the least dangerous option against a good fresh player

Edit - oh and btw. I’m as big a Semedo hater as it comes but I think I will go out my way to give him credit here and back him against the dissenting voices 😉

Last edited:
1 point from either City or Liverpool (not unthinkable given they are currently gash) and we’re still on course for 1.3 points a game and 40 points, which should be more than plenty
I’d go as far as saying less than 1 point is a poor return. Liverpool aren’t great atm and we’ve already proven we can get at them with a shadow team away from home.

Simple innit

giphy.gif

Just do that!

oh man I haven't watched shaolin soccer in forever

Stephen Chow. Hong Kong legend, Heep Woh Primary School represent.

Hmmm. Watching MOTD and it did flick off the defender's head on it's way through to Jimenez for his goal.

Though the way the rules are worded they'd consider that a deflection to the pass rather than a clearance. So it would still be ruled out. The rule is still shit though.

Hmmm. Watching MOTD and it did flick off the defender's head on it's way through to Jimenez for his goal.

Though the way the rules are worded they'd consider that a deflection to the pass rather than a clearance. So it would still be ruled out. The rule is still shit though.
That's what they'd say but it's nonsense of course, West Ham player got contact but not under control. Toti got his head to it but certainly didn't intend to flick it on for Salah.
Offside laws are an absolute mess, only have to look at the Man U one today.

If the difference between a goal and offside is one schlepers interpretation of what is a clearance and what’s a defection then the rule needs clarifying asap

Also thought he was miles off at the game, and I was almost level with the line. Looked way closer on the telly.

Still very happy with yesterday. Definite areas for improvement but it’s like night and day compared to our league games under that fucking moron.

Like Cunha a lot, not convinced he’s a 9 though - if Raul really is getting somewhat back to what he was then they might form a decent pair. Impressed with Lamina - even more so after watching the highlights, he really gets stuck in.

All in a great day, feels like we are getting there.

I've no issue with Raul being judged offside (was a lot tighter than I thought in real time though). It's last week that was total bullshit.
Yep. It’s the shit loophole that allows for interpretation.

Rauls offside, as was rashford, as was salah IMO. The rules a shambles.

Bring back ‘if you’re on the pitch you’re interfering with play logic I say!

Still very happy with yesterday. Definite areas for improvement but it’s like night and day compared to our league games under that fucking moron.

Like Cunha a lot, not convinced he’s a 9 though - if Raul really is getting somewhat back to what he was then they might form a decent pair. Impressed with Lamina - even more so after watching the highlights, he really gets stuck in.

All in a great day, feels like we are getting there.
Think cunha playing off a striker would work really well. A prime Raul for example. Even Sasa potentially.

Yep. It’s the shit loophole that allows for interpretation.

Rauls offside, as was rashford, as was salah IMO. The rules a shambles.

Bring back ‘if you’re on the pitch you’re interfering with play logic I say!
If you mean that literally then you are going to see a hell of a lot of goals chalked off particularly with VAR. Our goal yesterday is ruled out for a start as Hwang is off when Podence hits it

Back