• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-0 West Ham: Verdict Thread

Was at a different match today so only saw parts. That said, excellent result on the face of it. It was a must win today and we did, delighted.

Everyone played well but a few flakey moments, most notably from Sa and Collins.

Fullbacks both good, Semedo just shading MOTM. Centre halves both did well.

Midfield all did well. Matheus was excellent first half but last twenty his levels dropped right off. Moutinho was much better than of late and clearly played knowing he could give his all for an hour. Lemina very encouraging debut. Neves his normal self but could have done better with the chance from the corner in the first half and close but no cigar in the second.

Podence his usual mix of frustrating moments and really good, and he took his goal beautifully. Hwang worked incredibly hard and Cunha tried hard but he doesn’t look a number 9.

If we were mid table we’d have won comfortably but nerves ensured we had to battle until the final whistle. All told nearly every player looks better under Lop and it’s enjoyable, if a little nervy, going to Molineux again.

Semedo motm.
Seen a few comments suggesting this, and whilst I appreciate he was much better than normal today, I did feel like he got skinned nearly every time Benrahma ran at him after coming on. More fool Moyes for not starting him.

Make no mistake, West Ham are bang in trouble and we’re about to take their best defender off them too.

Absolutely vital three points given how congested it is at the bottom, although again, we really shouldn’t have been hanging on by a thread at the end. Not a fan of this switching to a back 5 stuff. Just seems to invite pressure.

Lovely finish by Raul and although he looked offside on first view, having seen the VAR shot, I think he’s unlucky to have been given offside there.

Lemina class off the bench. That’s the kind of squad quality & depth we need.

Well done Julen and the lads. Massive win.

Won the two games we had to win too. Shouldn't have lost to Villa or Utd either.

Great signs going forwards once we get all the players he wants.

Tonight tells us that a decent Manager in the PL makes all the difference.

Make no bones about it, this guy is the real deal. Team selection, tactics and substitutions are a stratosphere away from that previous joker.

Immediately he has got it right with sone of them - he doesn’t trust RAN and Adama to start games and their decision making today told you the exact reason why.

I feel like a genuine, goal scoring number nine (Ings please) even outweighs a CB after today - the opportunities that will be created by Cunha and soon Sarabia and Gomes, will require a finisher because the rest of them don’t do it naturally enough.

Although Rauls not there yet, I feel like he looks better every time he plays.

It’s all about J-Lo for me.

Left my specs in the car which wasn't ideal but from what I could see the orange fuzzy blobs were better than the purple fuzzy blobs.

Collins was immense bar his matchly Craddock moment and Semedo played well, only Hwang of the starting 11 had a sub par game. Nunes needs to be more careful with the ball around his own box, gave it away needlessly about 4 times.

Felt their pressure at the end was more to do with throwing all their attacking options on than us choosing to sit deep as we usually do. Take the emotion out of it and they didn't look like scoring

I thought Hwang was the better of the two wide player in the first half. He was much more involved. I also thought Nunes had his worst game for a while (not out of position under Lage bad, just below some of his recent performances).

I didn't feel west ham were ever going to score, aside from the chance that Bueno blocked near the line I don't think they ever really had a clear cut opportunity.

Hwang and Moutinho “played well” or OK, whatever we want to say for they weren’t bad (don’t think anyone was bad).

But they are part of the situation where 50% of our front 4 are highly unlikely to score or create anything. So we’re always going to struggle for goals with them starting games but hoepfully the new signings and return/increasing fitness of others will help too

Enjoyed that, something I’ve not been able to say at the services on the way home much recently! As many have said, good game from Semedo, really shifting going forward a few times and once to make decisive block when they would have otherwise been straight through from one of our corners in the first half.

Shame the Neves shot bounced out and not in, love a goal off the crossbar. Cunha looks great, but we’re still missing someone to get on the end of those better crosses we’re starting to see. Bench should be stronger still for City, happy times.

IMO it seems clear at this point that if we want the best out of Semedo (given the players we have today), Hwang has to be on that wing in front of him.

Nelson and Adama aren't just on different chapters, they're reading different languages to each other.

The only time I felt nervous today was when Sa had the ball at his feet :)

I think the 'shit or bust' nature of Nunes is what he is. It will probably cost us the occasional goal or at least loss of possession but conversely its bloody exciting when he twists and turns his way past 2 or 3 players and and sets us off in attack.

Just a small point, but that shot Cunha had from a narrow angle in the first half that forced a block and a corner made me realise just how passive our attackers have become. From that situation I've become conditioned to expect an ineffective attempt at a cross or a failed impossible dribble, followed by a clearance. Top players don't need thinking time, they act on instinct. Great to see.

You don't play an ineffective forward option just to protect your full back unless it's against a top side
That's what I mean; he's clearly less ineffective than Adama for us at the mo.

Back