• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-3 Liverpool: Verdict Thread

Some of that football in the first half was magnificent. Unfortunately it counts for nothing unless we start converting the performance in to points. It was 1-1 with 15 minutes left, we should have found a way to see the game out, regardless of the opposition.

I just think GoN has been exposed as the inexperienced manager he is in pretty much every game we’ve played this season, and that’s an obvious concern.

The substitutions were baffling and made us worse. I’m not having the quality drop off is as big as others are making out. I just think he brought the wrong players on, in the wrong place. Their defence was dodgy all game with direct running, so he takes Cunha off. Sasa could have caused them issues off set pieces so he leaves him on the bench. I just don’t get it.

Bellegarde looks like an excellent signing.

Jose Sa, fucking always looking for a fast counter even when we are under pressure for many mins..just keep it for 30 secs for fucks sake

It's clear we're trying to counter-attack the opposition and it's an obvious tactic/coaching decision, but it needs to be worked on in terms of when it's appropriate and when it isn't.

However, he can't account for the team totally switching off.

Jose Sa, fucking always looking for a fast counter even when we are under pressure for many mins..just keep it for 30 secs for fucks sake
Gomes watches Robertson run past him as well. Dare I say it?

Fletcher and Jenas caught chatting to Robertson and Fletcher even gets his shirt. All laughing and patting each other on the back.

No wonder the coverage when we play sides like this is such a massive wankfest towards the bigger club.

Dominated first half, should be 3-0 up and then we tire, have to bring on inferior players. Liverpool's quality told in the end.

We'll pick up enough points to stay up and be decent enough to watch which I'll take considering the best we can hope for with our transfer policy is bobbing around just existing.
Nope. I don't see how we pick up enough points when we concede goals easily and don't score many. We were easy enough to watch first half but not second.

What we are seeing now is a consequence of a poorly executed transfer policy that has progressively weakened us.

Disappointed in O’Neil today. No idea how to respond to the 4-2-4.
In fairness, given what we had on the bench, i'm not sure what he could have done, perhaps pack the midfield as they were effectively playing 1 player there after about 60 mins, but then we totally stymie our attacking threat.

The game was always there for the taking for Liverpool when we didn't get that second goal before half time, THAT was why Neto looked so pissed off going off.

Last edited:
Yep very good first half then trying to sit on a 1-0 lead with our defence was asking for trouble. File this in the “jolly good effort” category. Fact remains lost 4/5 sat on the same points as we were this time last season and City and Villa in our next 2 home games. Results, Results, Results all that matters GON absolutely needs 3 points v Luton.
Just the 11 conceded in 5 games now.

In fairness, given what we had on the bench, i'm not sure what he could have done, perhaps pack the midfield as they were effectively playing 1 player there after about 60 mins, but then we totally stymy our attacking threat.

The game was always there for the taking for Liverpool when we didn't get that second goal before half time, THAT was why Neto looked so pissed off going off.
Our bench looked stronger than it has in a while today.

No one forced him to bring Doc on at right midfield. He chose to do it and it was shit.

Nope. I don't see how we pick up enough points when we concede goals easily and don't score many. We were easy enough to watch first half but not second.

What we are seeing now is a consequence of a poorly executed transfer policy that has progressively weakened us.

Everton didn't score against us. We'll probably beat Luton next week to nil aswell.

We have enough quality in midfield against those sort of sides they don't get chance to put pressure on our shaky centre halves.

Fletcher and Jenas caught chatting to Robertson and Fletcher even gets his shirt. All laughing and patting each other on the back.

No wonder the coverage when we play sides like this is such a massive wankfest towards the bigger club.
I’m going to stick up for Fletcher here. He’s such an inadequate presenter, lamentable arse licker and all-round complete gobshite he must permanently imagine he’s about to get sacked, so making the most of it while he can seems understandable.

Our bench looked stronger than it has in a while today.

No one forced him to bring Doc on at right midfield. He chose to do it and it was shit.

Not really convinced anyone else on there would have been any more effective. Doherty did nothing, but that's what Sarabia has done in pretty much every game he's played for us.

Everton didn't score against us. We'll probably beat Luton next week to nil aswell.

We have enough quality in midfield against those sort of sides they don't get chance to put pressure on our shaky centre halves.
Will we on what basis? A scrappy 1-0 v Everton. Putting a good effort in against Liverpool and Man Utd doesn’t translate to points v poorer sides. Look at the 2 games after that we’ll do well to pick up 1 point.

Great intensity first half and brilliant to see Neto set up another goal, but after that it was depressingly familiar.

You just knew we'd go to shit at half time and Klopp would blow GON away, but apparently we just need to shrug our shoulders and accept that clubs with better players will do that

Will we on what basis? A scrappy 1-0 v Everton. Putting a good effort in against Liverpool and Man Utd doesn’t translate to points v poorer sides. Look at the 2 games after that we’ll do well to pick up 1 point.

We don't really have much evidence either way do we?

Disappointing to not come away with something after an excellent first half. We simply didn't have an answer once they stepped it up and individual errors cost us as well as our own inability to take our chances.

We played some really nice stuff at times and once these players fully gel, I'm hopeful we will have enough to beat those teams at the bottom and ensure our own safety. Those are the crunch games.

Lovely stuff from Neto at times and Cunha should be having nightmares tonight for failing to score the gilt edged chance he was given. Having played as a striker, I get why he didn't as he anticipated the ball coming as a header and then it fell away. He jumped way too early though when standing still would have been a better proposition.

Then we get to their goals. We went too narrow on the first and there was an element of fortune to Salha's cross come shot as he found the only bloke on the far post. Kilman might have done a lot better though. Second goal will mostly be attributed to Sa by many but how we allow Robertson to wade through the pack is unbelievable. The third goal was unjust really but shows that top teams take opportunities. Salah plays a crap cross, Kilman passes it back and then it goes to Elliot who gets a deflection and it goes in off the post when his original shot was going wide.

Overall, we need to find a way to play for 90 minutes at the level we were at in the first 45. Do that and we will create opportunities and may survive. We have some quality players who are fun to watch but its results that matter.

Back