• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1-4 Brighton: Verdict Thread

When season tickets are around 700 quid, and match day tickets 50 plus, I don't think we'll ever get a particularly "toxic" atmosphere at Molineux.

Those more vocal, emotional fans have been priced out.
I don't think that's true but any more rises and more crap football or relegation and you will be right.

When season tickets are around 700 quid, and match day tickets 50 plus, I don't think we'll ever get a particularly "toxic" atmosphere at Molineux.

Not in the South Bank they ain’t, only a matter of time.

I don't think that's true, it will be for those a decade below though, who didn't go with their mates in their teens because of cost and scarcity of tickets. That's the case for all PL clubs though. A couple of seasons back in the Championship will soon fix that though

Still loads of ragged arses me included that have been around for at least the last ten years.

I've only just watched the highlights from the other day. Obviously those ten minutes in the second half killed us, but we could have quite easily been 2 1 up at HT. We had four great chances and RAN's mis-control away from a fifth great chance.

I'm feeling far less downbeat now. Still downbeat but far less so. We lost to a very good team and on balance the score line flattered them.

I've only just watched the highlights from the other day. Obviously those ten minutes in the second half killed us, but we could have quite easily been 2 1 up at HT. We had four great chances and RAN's mis-control away from a fifth great chance.

I'm feeling far less downbeat now. Still downbeat but far less so. We lost to a very good team and on balance the score line flattered them.
It didn't

The scoreline did flatter them, but we can't come out like that for 10 mins.

Our defending was shocking for all 4 goals.
He had the players in today going through every goal.

I don't know why the fuck that 10 minute happened, but we were all over the place.

I'm not sure price comes into it in that respect.

But people are oddly expecting levels of fury that would have been surprising 20 or 30 years ago then duplicating the weirdness by later saying they're not surprised it didn't happen and wouldn't join in anyway. Then repeating the same cycle every few weeks.

It didn't
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Having been at the match and looking at the stats, for 85 minutes of 100, we were alright. Obviously 15 minutes were fatal.

The scoreline did flatter them, but we can't come out like that for 10 mins.

Our defending was shocking for all 4 goals.
He had the players in today going through every goal.

I don't know why the fuck that 10 minute happened, but we were all over the place.
Absolutely, it was. It was embarrassing. I'd say the first goal was a good goal though. Semedo even attempted to foul Mitoma, but couldn't ffs.

Absolutely, it was. It was embarrassing. I'd say the first goal was a good goal though. Semedo even attempted to foul Mitoma, but couldn't ffs.
He could have, it was an half hearted attempt at a foul.

Massive gap in the middle.
Semedo, Killman, Lemina all at fault in one way and another

They were all poor goals to concede, the last one how the heck it even reached March I will never know, it left I think it was 4 of our defenders all looking at each other wondering how it happened, that tells me there was a lack of communication between them, Kilman may be many things but he aint a captain, having said that apart from Dawson there seems a lack of leaders in the team.
We really have had the heart ripped out of the team over the last 18 months, even players like Saiss who left everything out on the pitch when he played, Minitomo that scored the first goal would have had his legs taken away well before he even reached our penalty area, I do think we have a bit of a soft under belly we need a bit of grit and determination in the team.
Anyways we are in a League of 6/7 Sheff Utd, Luton, Forest, Everton, Bournmouth, possibly Fulham and us, those are the games that we have to target, the fixtures have not been kind to us because if you look our supposedly easier fixtures they seem to be mostly away from home, and our home games are against top half teams ie Livarpool, Man city, Villa, Newcastle, its actually into December before we a play a team (Burnley) not predicted to finish top half at the Molineux, so we could well be bottom of the table again/still come end of November.

Unfortunately those ten minutes did happen so that’s all takes for the game to get away from you. You’d also say we’re susceptible to it happening again also.
Missing chances and taking chances also highlights the big gap between the sides too.
Basically you add up all the things they did better than us it’s:
Defend
Finishing
Game management
I don’t think we out did them in any aspect of the game matched them at points.

We really have had the heart ripped out of the team over the last 18 months, even players like Saiss who left everything out on the pitch when he played, Minitomo that scored the first goal would have had his legs taken away well before he even reached our penalty area, I do think we have a bit of a soft under belly we need a bit of grit and determination in the team.

I think in retrospect we probably shouldn't have got rid of all of Coady, Boly and Saiss within such a short period, but Coady would hardly have prevented Minamino in a back four, and Boly isn't the player he was and probably would have been injured for the game anyway.

It was more the system, rather than the individual qualities of our defenders, that meant we conceded few goals?

And I would say Dawson, Lemina and João Gomes have brought grit and determination to the team?

I think in retrospect we probably shouldn't have got rid of all of Coady, Boly and Saiss within such a short period, but Coady would hardly have prevented Minamino in a back four, and Boly isn't the player he was and probably would have been injured for the game anyway.

It was more the system, rather than the individual qualities of our defenders, that meant we conceded few goals?

And I would say Dawson, Lemina and João Gomes have brought grit and determination to the team?
Those goals are on individual errors far more than system.

Was this done on the basis that there was going to be a partial team rebuild that never materialised?

There's nothing wrong with the system if you have a team that can retain possession, however when you lose it your defensive players are left on their islands and are individually not good enough for that, whilst your CMs are out of position. City could play Brighton like that and take them apart as they'd have retained possession and pushed their centre backs really high removing that 40 yards of space Brighton utilised for the 2nd to 4th goals. They'd have taken their chances if offered them like we were in the first half. Villa try to do the same thing with their centre halves under Emery with varying results.

De Zerbi saw that in the first half and instructed his team how to take advantage of it at ht. So although you could say those goals were down to individual errors we were set up for them to capitalise on them. Brave for trying it or naive for thinking we'd keep the ball as required depending on your take.

Those goals are on individual errors far more than system.

I wasn't referring to the system on Saturday, I was talking about the system we played 18 months ago (which the original poster was referring to) when we had those defenders who apparently would have 'taken Minamino's legs away'. Coady wouldn't have got near him either, and Semedo was already at the club

Back