• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - Ipswich 1 - a dissapointing end? verdict thread

If you add the total number of goals scored by McDonald, VLP, Evans, Price, and Jacobs for the WHOLE season, You get 3.

McCarthy would have looked at our side yesterday and said, stop Sako, and stop the supply to Dicko and Afobe and you stop Wolves.

Our Midfield (specifically KM and RVLP) is the problem. Offering little defensively and not contributing with goals.

Funny how Edwards and Sako get most of the stick, having contributed 20 goals between them (including some match winners).

http://www.worldfootball.net/team_performance/wolverhampton-wanderers/eng-championship-2014-2015/

If you add the total number of goals scored by McDonald, VLP, Evans, Price, and Jacobs for the WHOLE season, You get 3.

McCarthy would have looked at our side yesterday and said, stop Sako, and stop the supply to Dicko and Afobe and you stop Wolves.

Our Midfield (specifically KM and RVLP) is the problem. Offering little defensively and not contributing with goals.

Funny how Edwards and Sako get most of the stick, having contributed 20 goals between them (including some match winners).

http://www.worldfootball.net/team_performance/wolverhampton-wanderers/eng-championship-2014-2015/

Depends how you judge your team. I would say McD's 12 assists are pretty vital as are RvlP's 10. They lack goals for sure but you could also look at set play conversion, shots allowed, chance conversion and creation for where we haven't scored enough goals.

Playing with only one creative midfielder and a lack of goals and assists from defenders (full backs in open play and CB's at set plays) could be harming us in total.

A big thank you to KJ and the current squad for putting us back on the football map after a couple of Joke seasons. I think that we have never really been better than a top championship team even when in the prem and the club missed a trick in not recruiting well enough in playing staff and management whilst there.

We have a good base of a young team and a couple of strong maybe experienced additions should get us in the playoffs next season. Someone like Adam Clayton at Boro for example.

I think Rowe was signed to be a permanent back up bench player.

I don't think he was at all. If you look at the quotes from KJ when we signed him he talks about him as if he'd be a guaranteed starter. Sure enough once he got himself fit we were shoehorning him into the side at the expense of Golbourne. It's one of the really worrying things about this season tbh, I have no idea what we ever saw in him. Such a drab, vanilla footballer.

A big thank you to KJ and the current squad for putting us back on the football map after a couple of Joke seasons. I think that we have never really been better than a top championship team even when in the prem and the club missed a trick in not recruiting well enough in playing staff and management whilst there.

We have a good base of a young team and a couple of strong maybe experienced additions should get us in the playoffs next season. Someone like Adam Clayton at Boro for example.

I've said it a few times but I'd go in for Butterfield at Huddersfield. He was their replacement for Clayton when he left to join Boro in the Summer and has been one of their best players this season.

I really don't get the 'I'd have snapped your hand off at 8th' (I know that isn't exactly what you have said, but others have also stated top half!).

You get nothing for finishing 8th, but how close we have come is potentially a statement of intent to potential signings that we can kick on.

I'd say 8th is about average, not a good season but not a bad one. But I certainly wouldn't snap someone's hand off. There was the opportunity to finish higher and we haven't done it.

I think you have to take into account points as well as the place. If we miss out with over 75 points we can consider ourselves slightly unlucky given that most years that would be enough for top 6

I really don't get the 'I'd have snapped your hand off at 8th' (I know that isn't exactly what you have said, but others have also stated top half!).

You get nothing for finishing 8th, but how close we have come is potentially a statement of intent to potential signings that we can kick on.

I'd say 8th is about average, not a good season but not a bad one. But I certainly wouldn't snap someone's hand off. There was the opportunity to finish higher and we haven't done it.

I see what you are saying Punts, and yes it's smacks of a lack of ambition, but I think it also takes into account, the catastrophe that ensued from our last season in the prem, and what then followed.

I am certainly not unambitious, but frankly I don't want to see a wolves side go up to the prem and get fucked all ends up, and if I am being honest i think that is exactly what will happen to the current side, if they get promotion.

looking at the comments from regular match goers on here, we are clearly three or more experienced, higher grade players, away from being a consistently good side.

Patchy form over the season, especially in must win games, and more importantly games against unfancied sides, suggests quite clearly to me that we aren't quite ready yet, so another season of the re-build cannot be a bad thing overall.

I'm sure Kenny has his plans, but I think he too is on a learning curve as many times this season I have read of regular match goers being somewhat flummoxed by his selections,and the fact that he is determined to use his 'magic'front line, with insufficient talent in midfield to supply them whilst offering adequate cover for the back four.

From where we were two years ago, to still be in with a chance of the play-offs, is testament to a club successfully re-building, but while the foundations are in, the rest of the structure still has a lot of scaffolding in evidence.

It seems a lot of the people saying where we are isn't good enough are just expecting too much, given where we've come from. It was absolutely right to give the majority of players who got us up a chance, obviously some of them aren't going to get much better and we will need to improve. I just don't get this attitude of "we want success and we want it now" which is prevalent amongst football fans, a team like Wolves simply cannot expect to demand success, the only possible way is to spend huge Chelsea/City type of money and even that doesn't guarantee it. Jackett has made some mistakes of course but his idea of steady, progressive improvement is the only way forward imo. A little bit of faith and patience is required.
My one concern is if we went up now is that it would be a very difficult season and the numpties would be horrendous in their castigation of Jackett and bring about his probable sacking/resignation, leaving us back to square one.

It seems a lot of the people saying where we are isn't good enough are just expecting too much, given where we've come from. It was absolutely right to give the majority of players who got us up a chance, obviously some of them aren't going to get much better and we will need to improve. I just don't get this attitude of "we want success and we want it now" which is prevalent amongst football fans, a team like Wolves simply cannot expect to demand success, the only possible way is to spend huge Chelsea/City type of money and even that doesn't guarantee it. Jackett has made some mistakes of course but his idea of steady, progressive improvement is the only way forward imo. A little bit of faith and patience is required.
My one concern is if we went up now is that it would be a very difficult season and the numpties would be horrendous in their castigation of Jackett and bring about his probable sacking/resignation, leaving us back to square one.

Depends how you look at it, Wolves for me have enough quality particularly going forward to be a top six side in the Championship this season. I look at odd team selections/poor tactics and think we missed far to many opportunities to better our points total this season.

I think you have to make a distinction between what you would have been happy with at the start of the season and what you are happy with at the end. Personally in August a top half finish with a platform built for serious contention next year was what I was looking for and ultimately what it looks like what I'll get. However, after seeing the relative strength of some of the teams in this league and being in 6th place with 5 games to go I think to fail to make the play offs will be something of an opportunity missed. All in all though I'd still put it down as a decent year.

I don't understand the worry about Wolves hypothetically struggling in the premier league. No current team in the Championship is equipped to perform well in the prem!

Wolves were very poor in the first half yesterday and imo this is KJs fault. KJ needs to improve himself as well as the team this summer.

I don't understand the worry about Wolves hypothetically struggling in the premier league. No current team in the Championship is equipped to perform well in the prem!

Wolves were very poor in the first half yesterday and imo this is KJs fault. KJ needs to improve himself as well as the team this summer.

Correct, most sides after gaining promotion should be looking to upgrade half of the team. There are a lot worse centre backs within Premier league clubs first elevens than Danny Batth for example.

Correct, most sides after gaining promotion should be looking to upgrade half of the team. There are a lot worse centre backs within Premier league clubs first elevens than Danny Batth for example.

A lot? Really?

I'm struggling to think of any outside Hull.

If Dicko hadn't missed that sitter of a header at the far post, or if KM had not made such a mess of his shot/pass near the end, then we would have won.
If we beat Wigan and Millwall and if Ipswich and Brentford slip up then we can still get in the playoffs.

I know that 'if' is a small word with a big meaning, but our season isn't dead yet.

Burnley, Leicester, QPR maybe too.

There are a few which aren't really much better than Batth, in that they offer little more than a big lump who'll head it and kick it away but I wouldn't say that the lad from Brierley Hill is any better than them, if anything his lack of experience compared to those players would probably make him look even worse if you dropped him in at that level right now.

Bang on with the bit I've made bold.
Any of the top 6 realistically will need serious inverstment should they be promoted. Likely to be needing to bring in somewhere around £20-£30 million worth of talent (note: not spend that amount, but that's the value they'll need to add to their squad). Some perhaps more - haven't Watford/Derby/Boro got a considerable number of loans?

There are a few which aren't really much better than Batth, in that they offer little more than a big lump who'll head it and kick it away but I wouldn't say that the lad from Brierley Hill is any better than them, if anything his lack of experience compared to those players would probably make him look even worse if you dropped him in at that level right now.

Maybe, I think Batth's mobility is the biggest issue, though his reading of the game is generally very good. He's better than Duff, Bruce, McShane, Hill, Morgan etc , which isn't saying a lot but that wasn't the point I suppose

Back