• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - Ipswich 1 - a dissapointing end? verdict thread

VLP just hasn't done it but unlike others Kackett obviously sees something in him that keeps him in and around the first team. It is his first season but there hasn't been enough shown on the pitch to suggest he can turn potential into reality. I want him to be taking in players and raining crosses in, but his crossing us erratic - or I want him running at defenders and having a $#@!, but his shooting is woeful.

We probably need to score 6 or 7 goals in the next two matches to stand a chance and he isn't going to contribute much to that.

People seem to forget that Sako was very much the same as VLP has been this year in his first season. I remember very similar comments about him being lazy, poor defensively, poor end product etc, etc. Lets judge VLP on his 2nd season in the English game, he may well develop over the summer and lets be honest, 14? assists isn't too shabby for one so shit

People seem to forget that Sako was very much the same as VLP has been this year in his first season. I remember very similar comments about him being lazy, poor defensively, poor end product etc, etc. Lets judge VLP on his 2nd season in the English game, he may well develop over the summer and lets be honest, 14? assists isn't too shabby for one so shit

Sako in his first season scored 10 goals... He hit the ground running straight away.

He also won player of the year in his first season. No one ever said he had a poor end product (if they did they are bloody stupid) and his defensive work wasn't through lack of effort it was quite the opposite! Getting involved in our own penalty area and giving away penalties!

Sako had a huge advantage over van La Parra in that he had the physique to cope with English football from the start. I think Rajiv has struggled to make his pace count against Championship defences, once he works out how to do that (and gets over this mental block in front of goal) he will be much better IMO. He'll be better next year, no way will he ever be on Sako's level though.

I think VLP has got far too much criticism if i'm honest. Yes he's inconsistent but he's still a young lad in a new league and not all players settle as quickly as others. With this season behind him he should be better next year and i would definitely hope he improves infront of goal but i'm not going to write him off and crucify him like some seem to want to.

I want to see him used in the diamond that you suggested. I think that will suit everyone in the squad better

I think he's done fairly well considering he has been in and out of the team too! His finishing is erratic and his crossing often fails to beat the first man, but when he gets it right it's often fantastic. I enjoy watching him most of the time too, he can be creative and he often produces something exciting.

He should look stronger next year and be more confident too. Either way, we signed him for nothing and he has done OK

I want to see him used in the diamond that you suggested. I think that will suit everyone in the squad better

I've thought for a while that Rajiv might be better as an attacking midfielder. He'd offer fuck all defensively but his through balls and movement are far better weapons than his inconsistent crossing IMO.

he did well there and scored against Fulham that time didn't he?

If we used that system he'd be a useful squad member actually. A back up forward and wide option if we needed one.

Disappointing performance, it just didn't quite click for us today. I won't slag off Sako who has had a great season but much like the majority of our players, today just wasn't his day at all. It happens. The delivery into the box was poor pretty much all game.

I didn't think we were as awful as some have made out but ultimately, maybe we're not quite good enough for that top 6.

Didn't think much to Ipswich at all, but it's not a good sign for us if we can't create enough against a side like that. Thought the ref was pretty dreadful and when I realised who it was, I wasn't surprised.

I'll take far more positives from this campaign no matter what happens in the last 2 games and although 6th place isn't impossible, today really was a must win and I'm expecting another season in the championship next time around. We've an excellent base to build on though.

Agree with most of this Langers and you have seen more live games at home than me however Sako has not been "a the races "at a number of the games that really mattered and today mattered. We couldnt cross a road let alone a football all season as RLVP cant cross for toffee often hitting the first man. KM and Sako are better but still not lethal and thats a shame cause Dicko and Afobe with better service are in my opinion absolutely lethal and capable of playing much higher. Sorry to thers but I am not going to wet my pants if Sako goes. Good luck to him and thats the nature of modern football. In Afobe we have a goal scorer and Dicko we have real pace. There are other left footed talents out there that could help fill a Sako void and back that up with some other strong signings and I agree we have a platform to challenge. We still must stop dropping points to crap though. It happens to often and to frequently and it costs us.

Our poor form in November spawned a monster and it has cost us a possible trip to London. I don't think there is any need to panic though, these things take time and over the last two seasons I think the players can say "I don't owe you anything".

Quite likely, I know it's over for this season but I hope Kenny and the team don't think "I started something I couldn't finish". Is it really so strange to be disappointed at falling just a little short when you consider where we were when Kenny came in?

In the current climate, money changes everything and I think there needs to be some serious investment over the summer because we are not short of being a title winning side. We spent most of the 90s going nowhere fast and I don't want to go back to those days again.

The worst thing that could happen would be a black cloud to descend over the club where missing the play offs is seen as a failure. Yes, we will be disappointed but we need to maintain the optimism if the last two years because such a little thing makes such a big difference.

For DW.

Bravo sir.

I sense a degree of churlishness regarding Ipswich's performance today, I thought Mick had them set up perfectly. Was it easy on the eye, no, did they achieve their minimum aim with a degree of comfort, yes. And the latter point is all that matters at this stage. He has done a great job there and the difference between his team picking up a point today and our team picking up nothing either last Saturday or in midweek is arguably what separates him and Ken at the moment.

Why we failed to get the win today:

- Poor team selection, you put Edwards in a midfield two and you immediately cede all control of that area, it doesn't matter who you're playing against. Over seven years he's been here, four permanent managers plus TC, and none of them seem to have worked out that he cannot play there. Given that McDonald can't defend what was he supposed to be cast as, a defensive midfielder? We badly missed Price being on for a pass constantly and the defensive work he does, big error by Ken.

- Since we switched to two forwards we have gone more direct, I don't mind this in the short term. It's not necessarily how I want us to play forever but for now getting as much ball as possible to Sako, Dicko and Afobe has to be the way forward, we can just batter quite a few teams at this level for sheer goal power doing that. However with Ipswich fielding four massive defenders this was never likely to be as fruitful today, we won virtually none of the long balls forward.

- Sako having an off day, it happens and castigating him given what he has done for us this season is just silly. But we rely on him a lot, especially when the game is flat and today he couldn't provide anything.

- Another softish goal, there was an element of ill fortune about it but ultimately it was a routine set piece, we won the header and still conceded.

- We still struggle to cope with teams pressing us all over the park as a Mick team will always do.

Why we look set to fall short in the wider sense:

- The transfers haven't gone right. Had we got Afobe in before the season kicked off I really think we'd have been right up there challenging for automatic promotion as he is that good, we probably wouldn't have totally collapsed in November playing inadequate loanees and Leon Clarke as our lone outlet up top leading to easy pressure on our back four, we'd have outscored teams. I'm delighted with Benik as a long term investment but him arriving five months later than ideal has affected us. We don't have the central midfielders to play 4-4-2, Rowe and Saville having zero impact between them hasn't helped us here.

- Jackett hasn't got it right at key times, surrendering the initiative to Middlesbrough on Tuesday and the Edwards selection today, messing around with the back four earlier in the season, not changing his principles sooner during the horror run, persevering with Doherty for too long, these are all errors that have cost us points. He gets a hell of a lot right, I like him and I have faith in him leading us to a decent push for promotion next season if all the right elements are in place, but he has made mistakes and if he takes the plaudits when we're winning he has to come under some scrutiny when we analyse why it hasn't quite gone absolutely right.

- Players still learning about this league, this is a first proper season at this level for Batth, Price, Iorfa, Hause and Van La Parra, they will all be stronger for the experience. Perhaps you can add the manager and coaching staff to that as well in the sense that they have never been involved at this end of the league at the business end of the season before either.

- Deadwood impacting on what we can afford to do in the market, with them all gone this summer there is no excuse for us now, we need to address our shortcomings, be ruthless where necessary and look to add the right players to turn us into a genuine force at this level rather than flitting around 7th-8th place.

Sako in his first season scored 10 goals... He hit the ground running straight away.

And in this, Rajiv's first season, he has 10 assists (off the top of my head, I know he had nine last I checked and added one today).

Different statistic, same result. I think he can be a top player in this league with time. The Premiership is probably too much for him but he's a player with the ability to go at defenders and make them put a wrong foot in; that's a valuable asset to any team in any league in the world.

spot on Dan.
one point i would appreciate opinion on concerns Tommy Rowe. I know he's been injured for practically the whole season, but on the odd occasion he played, was it not at left back rather than midfield ? If fully fit, would he have been the missing midfield link we're seeking ?

And in this, Rajiv's first season, he has 10 assists (off the top of my head, I know he had nine last I checked and added one today).

Different statistic, same result. I think he can be a top player in this league with time. The Premiership is probably too much for him but he's a player with the ability to go at defenders and make them put a wrong foot in; that's a valuable asset to any team in any league in the world.

Sako also got ten assists in his first season to go with the goals.

He will continue to be a good player for us next season, Rajiv that is, IMO

Aye, didn't know that. Fair enough.

spot on Dan.
one point i would appreciate opinion on concerns Tommy Rowe. I know he's been injured for practically the whole season, but on the odd occasion he played, was it not at left back rather than midfield ? If fully fit, would he have been the missing midfield link we're seeking ?

No no and no.
Im not even sure why weve had him.

I think Rowe was signed to be a permanent back up bench player, Saville was the one who I think Kenny hoped would play regularly. Afobe and RVLP were the only players in yesterday's 18 that weren't here last season(with Iorfa coming through). We needed to strengthen more than that really, not so much in terms of numbers - 4 would have been about right, but in terms of effectiveness and in the case of Afobe timing - although it is unlikely that it would have been him we'd signed in the Summer, so in the long run may prove to be a blessing in disguise.

The stick Sako got yesterday is criminal. Over the last 3 years he's been comfortably our best player. There's not even an argument on that. I think we can afford the guy an off day given the points he's won and the loyalty he's shown.

Replacing him is going to be incredibly difficult, and tbh I'm not sure ken/thelwell have got it in them - there's only afobe and maybe dicko that would really hold their own (or even look like they have the potential to) in a bottom 6 premier league side.

It's a fair bet that on September 1st, afobe and dicko will be our best two players, which represents its own problems. 442 may be enough to batter yourself out of this league, but it'll be a big adjustment to from that you the more conservative 451/4231 that's realistically needed to consolidate in the top flight.

It's been a decent season though, certainly nothing to be disappointed about - whilst also accepting that it's a missed opportunity.

Iorfa is a great prospect. Hause I think will make a good centre half. KMac and price would work brilliantly as 2 of a 3. We've got a good base to start from, but recruitment is key this summer.

I think a lot of the posts on this thread are made from the disappointment of how close we have come to the play offs. I think the majority of us would have snapped your hand off if offered top 8 in august. Lots of positives this year and a years experience at this level which most of the squad have never done regularly at this level. I have faith that Kenny knows what is required and the summer window is where the value is not January for the pant wetter and morgan and moxey haters. We are a well run club finally heading in the right direction and long may it continue. As for sako the positives far out weigh the negatives, has been fantastic for us and stuck with us through some tough times. If he goes I for one would wish him well with whatever his next move is.

Back