• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 - Ipswich 1 - a dissapointing end? verdict thread

A disappointing afternoon as my other side (Woking) have blown their chance of a play off as well. Draw against the bottom side whilst hoping that the 2 above fell short (which they didn't)

An almost season on both fronts.

Disappointing performance, it just didn't quite click for us today. I won't slag off Sako who has had a great season but much like the majority of our players, today just wasn't his day at all. It happens. The delivery into the box was poor pretty much all game.

I didn't think we were as awful as some have made out but ultimately, maybe we're not quite good enough for that top 6.

Didn't think much to Ipswich at all, but it's not a good sign for us if we can't create enough against a side like that. Thought the ref was pretty dreadful and when I realised who it was, I wasn't surprised.

I'll take far more positives from this campaign no matter what happens in the last 2 games and although 6th place isn't impossible, today really was a must win and I'm expecting another season in the championship next time around. We've an excellent base to build on though.

Disappointing performance, it just didn't quite click for us today. I won't slag off Sako who has had a great season but much like the majority of our players, today just wasn't his day at all. It happens. The delivery into the box was poor pretty much all game.

I didn't think we were as awful as some have made out but ultimately, maybe we're not quite good enough for that top 6.

Didn't think much to Ipswich at all, but it's not a good sign for us if we can't create enough against a side like that. Thought the ref was pretty dreadful and when I realised who it was, I wasn't surprised.

I'll take far more positives from this campaign no matter what happens in the last 2 games and although 6th place isn't impossible, today really was a must win and I'm expecting another season in the championship next time around. We've an excellent base to build on though.

Spot on Langers.

It's been an encouraging season, and we've unearthed a gem in Iorfa, Afobe has been the business since signing and we know where we clearly need to improve.

Future is still bright ass far as I'm concerned.

KJ wanted a CM at the start of the season but unfortunately the two we signed were pants. If one of those had come off with Afobe we would be right up there. Hopefully they get it right this summer

That's the point though Croxden. You aren't comparing apples and apples. You are comparing a championship playoff challenging team with a team that got to the bloody UEFA cup final.

Yes, Pad, you're correct. Your post made me smile! I'm getting old and I cannot help but make that comparison. I'm disappointed, that's all. Seeing our club back in the 'top flight' is the dream that all of us fans share. What a pity the players don't share that sentiment.

. Evans is the only one we have vaguely suited to playing in a 2 and he seems to have disappeared..

He was as quick out the ground in his white bmw as everyone else today,nearly run us over.

I don't think it's fair comment on the current batch to suggest any failure is due to a lack of desire. We're likely to come up short in what has been a very competitive division this year, but I'd put that far more down to just not quite being good enough, rather than not wanting it enough.

The game game today pretty much summed up our season, so nearly there but just not quite got enough to see us over the line

Yes, Pad, you're correct. Your post made me smile! I'm getting old and I cannot help but make that comparison. I'm disappointed, that's all. Seeing our club back in the 'top flight' is the dream that all of us fans share. What a pity the players don't share that sentiment.

Pretty sure that they do share the enthusiasm, just not sure that the team as a whole has sufficient to get us there.

Really not that far off though, doesn't need as much of an upheaval as last year to achieve it either.

Last seven days have been disappointing but it shows how far we have come that some are bemoaning the fact that we won't make the top 6.
The squad that's developing is very exciting IMO and I'd say that our long term future looks brighter than our opponents today.

I don't think it's fair comment on the current batch to suggest any failure is due to a lack of desire. We're likely to come up short in what has been a very competitive division this year, but I'd put that far more down to just not quite being good enough, rather than not wanting it enough.

The game game today pretty much summed up our season, so nearly there but just not quite got enough to see us over the line
I agree with this, I've seen many a Wolves player not try over the years - Hoddle collected a team full! There isn't one player I would accuse of a lack of desire, some are naturally limited (Batth, Edwards), others had poor games (Sako, RVLP), but you only needed to the reaction at full time to see they care.

I still don't think we can go ahead with 4-4-2 in the future, i know we want Afobe and Dicko both playing but we either need to find a way of playing them both out of a 4-4-2(something like Watford do) or it's going to have to be one or the other. We need an attacking midfielder whatever happens.

If Sako went, maybe a diamond? Jacobs behind (if he can get his act together) with McDonald, Evans and a DM/Price?

Would encourage the full backs to get forward too.

I find it staggering the amount of negativity on here, we have had a very good season (especially after the debarcle of our last time in this division), we have come a long way in a short amount of time, yes its disapointing if we don't get in the play-offs from our position of a couple of weeks ago but its not the end of the world. We have a decent squad and probably need 3 or 4 additions in key areas to be able to go for automatic promotion next season.

If Sako went, maybe a diamond? Jacobs behind (if he can get his act together) with McDonald, Evans and a DM/Price?

Would encourage the full backs to get forward too.

Something like that yeah, there's a few ways you could play it but i'm not sure Jackett will go that way. It would give Batth and Stears more cover if they are still our 2 centre backs and they need it because they are exposed far too often. We would then need wider options if we ever needed to switch or could go to a 4-3-3 with the front 3 of Dicko-Afobe-??? and let them rotate in wider and central areas.

Dicko likes to pull wide anyway off the ball, sometimes too much and the gap between him and Afobe becomes too big. So I think a 4-3-3/ 442 diamond could work.

Personally, I'm a little bit disappointed we went from the end of last season to start of this one playing out from the back so well. Since that November run we've abandoned it completely. As if 442 means we can't play out, which I find weird.

Dicko likes to pull wide anyway off the ball, sometimes too much and the gap between him and Afobe becomes too big. So I think a 4-3-3/ 442 diamond could work.

Personally, I'm a little bit disappointed we went from the end of last season to start of this one playing out from the back so well. Since that November run we've abandoned it completely. As if 442 means we can't play out, which I find weird.

Yes i think the 433/442 diamond would work for me and should be something we are looking at.

That was the frustrating thing for me today, so many times it was on to play out from the back but we took too long and then decided to kick it long whether that be Ikeme or the 2 centre backs. That played in to their hands and we didn't get anything from any of those long punts.

Well losing Sako it would be the best system, as our stand out players aren't Wingers or CMs in a 2. Henry and RVLP would still have a role to play in the squad. Henry more as a 10 and VLP pulling out wide as a striker.

I find it staggering the amount of negativity on here, we have had a very good season.
Not just on here. The amount of people round by me who've only turned up as we push for promotion slagging us off today got on my tits.

Two blokes near me almost ended up in a fight after the full-time whistle.

Lord 'elp us if Sako's our best player!
Dougan, Hibbitt, Wagstaffe, & Richards would piss on him. He's an inconsistent mercenary. OK, when he plays well, he's a killer, but how often is that. We need players that will play a 'blinder' EVERY match, not just when they can be bothered to.

Absolute Bollocks is he a mercenary. Could quite easily have left us last year and this. You have a very short memory.

Back