• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Middlesbrough 0 - Verdict thread

A bit late but i was so impressed with us yesterday. There's not a better team than Middlesbrough in the league or one that we will play anyway and we were better than them. They came set up quite well defensively to make it hard for us but we took the one real chance we got.

The football we are playing is going to beat most sides especially if Bonatini finishes like that, such a cool finish. On to the players.

Ruddy - Commanded his box excellently and made one top class save. He shit Braitwaite up when he came out to close him down for Boro's other chance. Looks a top signing. 8

Miranda - I thought he played well. He's rough and will kick strikers but you need defenders that will make it tough for them. He gave the ball away a few times but he played well overall. Challenge he was booked for was bullshit as he pulled out and never touched Britt. 7

Coady - Didn't really notice him as much as in the last pre season friendly but went about his job well. He has got a tendency to get caught out when a ball is played in behind as he gets a little deep and leaves too big a gap between him and Miranda or Boly. 7

Boly - Absolute man mountain. Made a couple of silly errors late on but he was outstanding before that and he's deceptively good on the ball. 8

Doherty - Defended quite well against Friend when he had to and was always an outlet but he's not good enough in those areas. One time he pulled it back to Bright when a whipped cross would surely have been a goal for Bonatini who had got across Gibson. 7

Douglas - It's brilliant to see an actual left back. Great first touch and like Doherty always an outlet but he's a big threat to. Set pieces were poor but his play in general is to notch. Defends well too and was only beaten once or twice by Boro down the side they attacked a lot. 7.5

Neves - It was far too easy for him at times and as mentioned that pass to Doherty was as good as a pass that you will see. Anyone who thought he might struggle with the physicality will be wrong too as he got stuck in a few times and seemed to relish it. 8.5

Saiss - Outstanding again. Best player on the pitch for me with Neves. Anyone who thinks these 2 should not first choice hasn't seen them in the last 2 games. Saiss now looks like the midfielder we thought we had signed. Defensively sound, quality on the ball and not afraid to put himself about. Looks fit and mobile now too. 8.5 MOTM

Bright - The lad is going to be class. He makes it look so easy at times that i'm willing to be as patient as i can be with a player. He doesn't always make the right decision but when he does improve that he's going to be some player. Should have had a penalty after being swiped from behind and i think he should have taken his chance but the goal will come. 8

Jota - Will get better as the season goes on and i think got a few little kicks here and there but never backed out. One great run was ended by a terrible challenge and he will get a lot of treatment like that this season. Works hard and will be a key player. 7

Bonatini - I was impressed. He looked made for this division in that he was physical but mobile enough and linked play excellently. Not going to come up against a better back 2 than Gibson and Ayala and shrugged them off with ease at times. Never looked like missing when he got chance and his link up play was very good. Will be key this season i think even with another striker coming in. 8

SUBS

Dicko - I've got to be honest i thought he was awful. Couldn't control the football, made it easy for their defenders and he looked slow. Lost one race with Gibson that he really should be winning and if he hasn't got his pace then he isn't good enough. We lost control of the game when he came on for Bonatini. 3

Edwards - No idea where he was playing and i'm not sure he knew. It was like a false nine at times and he ran around aimlessly. His touch touch was hilarious, chest down and volley out of play. Shouldn't be getting many minutes in league games if any at all. 5

Graham - Limited time but looked good. Took time out of the game well two times in particular and will be an asset this season. 6

I'm even more excited by the season now and i think we're going to be hard to catch if we can carry on playing like this with players to come back.

Just one thing on the referee, he was shit. Gave Boro everything in the first half and not sure how he didn't give the pen. He just came straight through the back of him and everyone else in the ground saw it bar him and his officials i think.

Spoken to a few people in the pub tonight (Wolves, Villa, Albion fans mainly) and the amount of 'can he do it on a cold night in Barnsley' type comments is just unbelievable.

I tried to explain that the 'foreign pansies' Neves and Jota were more up for a physical battle than anyone in our midfield last season but apparently that doesn't count as they don't have Championship experience.

If we carry on under the radar, I'm more than happy because we've some fantastic talents in our squad this season.

I always thought it was just a throwaway ironic comment but people actually are being serious when they say it I have noticed. Alex Bruce on 5 Live was embarrassing himself!

Been otherwise engaged since I got back yesterday (good to see everyone again) - most of my thoughts already posted, but what was apparent is the composure & solidity we showed. That and the fact that there was a plan, which the players understood was a revelation.

This team will improve with games (& further improved with the other names to come back from injury & suspension) & Boro were a very good test of their capabilities in the first game.

In this formation Doherty, unfortunately, is still the weakest link. Not that he played badly ( he didn't ), but as an attacking force without a winger he doesn't have the pace to get past anyone or the confidence to put a cross in.

As to comments re 'won't be able to do it on a wet Tuesday night in XXXXXX' - Neves & Jota showed that they were fully capable of standing up to that sort of treatment & I doubt that Boly will take shit off anyone. Noticeable also that whilst Coady has some weaknesses he does provide the leadership that was lacking from Batth. Was watching him in the second half when we were under more pressure & he was constantly talking & gesticulating to his teammates as to what was needed/where they needed to be

(NB - Douglas is an absolute steal at the price paid)

good post PLF

Spoken to a few people in the pub tonight (Wolves, Villa, Albion fans mainly) and the amount of 'can he do it on a cold night in Barnsley' type comments is just unbelievable.

I tried to explain that the 'foreign pansies' Neves and Jota were more up for a physical battle than anyone in our midfield last season but apparently that doesn't count as they don't have Championship experience.

If we carry on under the radar, I'm more than happy because we've some fantastic talents in our squad this season.

I completely agree Langer's. Let the others right off our chances.

A bit late but i was so impressed with us yesterday. There's not a better team than Middlesbrough in the league or one that we will play anyway and we were better than them. They came set up quite well defensively to make it hard for us but we took the one real chance we got.

The football we are playing is going to beat most sides especially if Bonatini finishes like that, such a cool finish. On to the players.

Ruddy - Commanded his box excellently and made one top class save. He $#@! Braitwaite up when he came out to close him down for Boro's other chance. Looks a top signing. 8

Miranda - I thought he played well. He's rough and will kick strikers but you need defenders that will make it tough for them. He gave the ball away a few times but he played well overall. Challenge he was booked for was bull$#@! as he pulled out and never touched Britt. 7

Coady - Didn't really notice him as much as in the last pre season friendly but went about his job well. He has got a tendency to get caught out when a ball is played in behind as he gets a little deep and leaves too big a gap between him and Miranda or Boly. 7

Boly - Absolute man mountain. Made a couple of silly errors late on but he was outstanding before that and he's deceptively good on the ball. 8

Doherty - Defended quite well against Friend when he had to and was always an outlet but he's not good enough in those areas. One time he pulled it back to Bright when a whipped cross would surely have been a goal for Bonatini who had got across Gibson. 7

Douglas - It's brilliant to see an actual left back. Great first touch and like Doherty always an outlet but he's a big threat to. Set pieces were poor but his play in general is to notch. Defends well too and was only beaten once or twice by Boro down the side they attacked a lot. 7.5

Neves - It was far too easy for him at times and as mentioned that pass to Doherty was as good as a pass that you will see. Anyone who thought he might struggle with the physicality will be wrong too as he got stuck in a few times and seemed to relish it. 8.5

Saiss - Outstanding again. Best player on the pitch for me with Neves. Anyone who thinks these 2 should not first choice hasn't seen them in the last 2 games. Saiss now looks like the midfielder we thought we had signed. Defensively sound, quality on the ball and not afraid to put himself about. Looks fit and mobile now too. 8.5 MOTM

Bright - The lad is going to be class. He makes it look so easy at times that i'm willing to be as patient as i can be with a player. He doesn't always make the right decision but when he does improve that he's going to be some player. Should have had a penalty after being swiped from behind and i think he should have taken his chance but the goal will come. 8

Jota - Will get better as the season goes on and i think got a few little kicks here and there but never backed out. One great run was ended by a terrible challenge and he will get a lot of treatment like that this season. Works hard and will be a key player. 7

Bonatini - I was impressed. He looked made for this division in that he was physical but mobile enough and linked play excellently. Not going to come up against a better back 2 than Gibson and Ayala and shrugged them off with ease at times. Never looked like missing when he got chance and his link up play was very good. Will be key this season i think even with another striker coming in. 8

SUBS

Dicko - I've got to be honest i thought he was awful. Couldn't control the football, made it easy for their defenders and he looked slow. Lost one race with Gibson that he really should be winning and if he hasn't got his pace then he isn't good enough. We lost control of the game when he came on for Bonatini. 3

Edwards - No idea where he was playing and i'm not sure he knew. It was like a false nine at times and he ran around aimlessly. His touch touch was hilarious, chest down and volley out of play. Shouldn't be getting many minutes in league games if any at all. 5

Graham - Limited time but looked good. Took time out of the game well two times in particular and will be an asset this season. 6

I'm even more excited by the season now and i think we're going to be hard to catch if we can carry on playing like this with players to come back.

Just one thing on the referee, he was $#@!. Gave Boro everything in the first half and not sure how he didn't give the pen. He just came straight through the back of him and everyone else in the ground saw it bar him and his officials i think.

I have to say I liked Ruddy at Cambridge. I was very happy to have him. He also has the best defenders in Miranda and Boly that he has played behind for a while. He keeps his defence in line and commands his area. He will make the odd mistake but will win us more points than he costs us. Prepare himself for p!entry of clean sheets. I reckon we will get 20 this season

Noticed it was rolled out on the Sky documentary by the guy who'd organised the 24hr penalty shoot out for Ikeme.

Yeah it's pissing me off as well but like you say if we go under the radar for the first 2 months then i'm happy. We've had British players for ages who can't do it on a Tuesday night in Barnsley but i think these Champions league players might be a bit better and our best player last season was one of these foreigners who don't like cold wet Tuesday nights.

The reason i think we will win the league particularly if we can keep the midfield 2 fit is that our team is better than every one else. We have quality players too good for this league and that should tell over 46 games.

You'll like this then...

"All have Premier League ambitions but first must survive the relentless 46-game slog of the Championship, its physical attention and wintry conditions.

“When they start hitting December, they won’t know what’s hit them,” admitted wing-back Matt Doherty. “It’s up to them to react to going to Barnsley on a Tuesday night when it’s almost snowing.”"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...2/Wolves-fans-dreaming-return-glory-days.html

I really don't understand that "rainy night in wherever the fuck" line. Partly because England isn't the only place in the world where it gets cold and/or rains, and partly because it's just fucking stupid! What, do these professional athletes care more about the weather than winning? I can't comprehend that a professional competitor would be so easily put off from their desire to win.

“When they start hitting December, they won’t know what’s hit them,” admitted wing-back Matt Doherty. “It’s up to them to react to going to Barnsley on a Tuesday night when it’s almost snowing.”"

Just put a pair of gloves on and they'll be fine

yeah, only thing i see with rain and snow is that is usually gaining players/team with less skills..harder to create, play through balls and whatever..

I really don't understand that "rainy night in wherever the fuck" line. Partly because England isn't the only place in the world where it gets cold and/or rains, and partly because it's just fucking stupid! What, do these professional athletes care more about the weather than winning? I can't comprehend that a professional competitor would be so easily put off from their desire to win.
It's just a shitty way of saying "can they cope with a lesser player kicking the crap out of them"

It's also very lazy and not understanding the players in question. If we had signed a bunch of never heard of thems from the arse end of some leagues it carries a tiny bit of weight.

i bet also that a lesser team shrink the pitch, overwatering it also before they meet a big team..higher grass is also used to slow play down

i bet also that a lesser team shrink the pitch, overwatering it also before they meet a big team..higher grass is also used to slow play down

This is another thing that baffles me about soccer (and baseball, too). That there are acceptable ranges for the size of the pitch is so strange in my mind. Everything for me should be like American or Canadian football. The field/pitch is one size for all teams, period.

This is another thing that baffles me about soccer (and baseball, too). That there are acceptable ranges for the size of the pitch is so strange in my mind. Everything for me should be like American or Canadian football. The field/pitch is one size for all teams, period.
There are maximum and minimum sizes set. You choose at the start of the season and can't change it (I think). Sizes have to vary as not every ground has the same pitch area.

There are maximum and minimum sizes set. You choose at the start of the season and can't change it (I think). Sizes have to vary as not every ground has the same pitch area.

I understand the necessity of it (we can't exactly ask some clubs to rearrange their entire stadium), but I still don't like it. Makes the home field advantage much too tangible for my tastes.

There are foreign players who don't fancy it if they get kicked or if the weather is a bit iffy. There are British players like that too. Cough, Kevin McDonald, cough.

Pitch size makes little difference in the grand scheme of things, the range between permissible minimum and maximum size is so narrow as to render it basically irrelevant.

Back