• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 1 Rotherham 0 a win that masks the truth verdict

And that was the problem with Saiss dropping to make a 3 and abandoning Price...another black mark against Lambert
They were telling Saiss to get further up the pitch from around the 30 mins mark. Edwards was with him when we won the penalty telling him again. Clearly an instruction before the game but they struggled to get the change communicated properly. He certainly stepped up in the 2nd half and rarely sat between Hause and Willo.

There's more where that came from. Got my cucumber ready.

Can't wait!

Lambo is correct though, we didn't play as we normally play... There was less hoof ball played, sadly there wasn't an increase in quality football.

What said it all was a woman in front of me on the stairs at half time saying "fuck this, I'm off to watch the rugby".

Saiss won a fantastic header in the opposing box 1st half....pity no one was on the end of it.

IM baffled to how Lambert picks his squads...Iorfa & Bright go from 'in team' to nowhere near team, there is no continuity whatsoever...its really is a lottery who
gets picked to play.
Edwards did a fantastic passing impression of a stray dog let loose on the pitch for 90 minutes..he barely did anything of any note and im gobsmacked that hes never
ever rested.
Marshall played well (he had a 1st half like Andy W against Chelsea) but then (like Andy W against Chelsea) he was invisible come the 2nd half.

Dont get the booing at the end, dont see how that will help anything in the long run...think PL will get the message with the "were fucking bored" chant.

Regarding the full-backs. We've had a tendency in the past, quite a big tendency to get shafted on the flanks and concede from crosses. I can understand if he chooses to keep the full backs deep in that case. If you consider Saiss as the player holding player - the regista then that's okay. The problem with today is the lack of fluency, passing and effective movement between the attacking players - all five of them weren't very good although Marshall the pick of the bunch. The lack of oomph today is most likely because Price and Edwards were crud. Not many options though - Tex and Prince aren't there, Ronan/Mason are crocked and Bright although showing a bit of quality isn't quite at the races just yet. Having said that I'd like to have seen a 4-4-2 with JDB and Dicko.

Can anyone with a better view tell me if that Weimann challenge should've been a red or not?

My initial reaction was that he should've been sent off.

Can anyone with a better view tell me if that Weimann challenge should've been a red or not?

My initial reaction was that he should've been sent off.
It didn't look good. But would have to see it again. It caused a bit of a ding dong between our backroom staff and Rotherham's. Lambert I think tried to diffuse the situation.

Was the classic striker trying to block a clearance and taking out the players kicking leg. Never really going to do any damage as his leg is off the floor.

If he got his standing leg then it's a red but I don't think he did

I can't recall coming away from a game we've won feeling like we've lost. When I got back to pick up the gf she was expecting me to be bouncing and over the moon, she couldn't understand why I was so downbeat. There were so few positives to take from that match. Scraping a 1-0 against one of the poorest sides we're ever likely to see at Molineux and ending the game in the corners hanging on for our lives and then we still almost gift them an equaliser with the final kick of the match.

On the subject of Dave Edwards, what is the actual fucking point of him? He scores goals every now and then (few and far between) and that's all. He is anonymous in a game considering he is playing in a key position, on the odd occasion he actually wins a ball the ref then blows up as he has fouled to do so.

I would persist with Weimann up top as he is no loss in the wide areas and he took his chance well, neither Dick or Bod would have scored that. Marshall's pass was a nice one and I was impressed by him in the first half.

I wasn't particularly inspired by Lambert when he was appointed but as with all Wolves bosses, I give them a chance. In the early fixtures he did nothing to win me over and when Rowett left Blues I was all for sacking Lambert along with Taylor and Edwards and bringing in Rowett and his team. In January I felt like I had maybe been a bit hasty and thought Lambert was the man. Since the win at Barnsley though it's all gone pear shaped and I am totally sick of him now.

Despite yesterday's result, I still have grave fears that he will take us down. Any other side yesterday would have battered us. We may pick up an odd win here and there but we're just putting off the inevitable whilst he is here.

Last edited:
Lambert is a coward. All I have to say.

Can't argue with any of that DW, to me in his post match match interview, he looked/sounded a beaten, dejected man, don't think he knows how to change it, whether its him sending out bonkers teams/systems or even worse the players ignoring his ideas and just making it up as they go along. I agree you can't keep changing coaches but he looks to me like he thinks he's finished

On the subject of Dave Edwards, what is the actual fucking point of him? He scores goals every now and then few and far between) and that's all. He is anonymous in a game considering he is playing in a key position, on the odd occasion he actually wins a ball the ref then blows up as he has fouled to do so.

I was absolutely fuming in the second half when he missed that header in front of the South Bank. He'd done absolutely fuck all up to that point apart from play his super-effective one man Gegenpress. He finally gets himself into an area where he can cause Rotherham some damage and he fluffs his lines.

We had 60% possession, he was playing central midfield and he played 22 passes. What the fuck is that?

We've been eased to 10/1 to go down with the bookies. They've got this one wrong, there is a significantly higher than 10% chance that we drop, after watching yesterday and seeing the results both Burton and Bristol got I'd say it's 50/50. For anyone who doesn't mind a bet, or doesn't have an issue backing against their own team it's a no lose situation. I got on at 14/1, I'd be delighted to lose £15 ,but if we go down there is £240 coming my way which cushions it ever do slightly.

We've been eased to 10/1 to go down with the bookies. They've got this one wrong, there is a significantly higher than 10% chance that we drop, after watching yesterday and seeing the results both Burton and Bristol got I'd say it's 50/50. For anyone who doesn't mind a bet, or doesn't have an issue backing against their own team it's a no lose situation. I got on at 14/1, I'd be delighted to lose £15 ,but if we go down there is £240 coming my way which cushions it ever do slightly.
lol Mutiny

The thing that jumps straight out at me is that Saiss and Price barely passed to each other. I wanted to see them together but I think it's clear that it wont work.

The thing that jumped out at me the most is that neither passed at all to Dave Edwards. It looks like we've tried the Spurs 4-2-3-1 but without any success. Playing with 10 men from the off can't work, especially with a player in such a critical position.

Essentially we've swapped Edwards for Alli. That way madness lies.

Saiss is just an upgrade on price. Saiss was playing the deep roll so Price didn't have a clue what to do. He's not good enough/unwilling to drive with the ball or unwilling to receive the ball in tight spaces further up the pitch

We really need an actual footballer at No. 10 desperately. Cavaleiro, Bright, Ronan, all fit the bill more than Edwards and one of them needs to play there.

I thought Weimann did ok up top and didn't stop making runs off the defenders. Which is why we need someone who can actually pass the ball playing behind him. Price tried a few through balls to him but from so far away he was over hitting them all.

£210 Tony - don't promise the other thirty quid to the wife! And for me the true odds are somewhere around 4/1, given yesterday's performance

Back