• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

i thought we were good throughout that game, 1st half included tbh. Don't recall Rui having much to do at all, and the better chances 1st half were created by us.

chelsea certainly had more possession 1st half, but it was pretty ineffectual.

thought semedo looked better again - whilst he does appear a weak link, and seems to be being targeted by opposition teams at the moment, he's improving, and contributed more going forwards I felt.

neves was outstanding today. thought neto was really good for the 90, and podence had a brilliant last 60. his intelligence, and visio sometimes is great. he really does things i'm not expecting. very exciting.

traore nursed himself through the game i felt. silva looked intelligent with his runs, shame about the offside.

otasowie and vitinha also looked part of the team when on.

impressed.

I think Semedo is struggling with the pace of the league at the moment. Chelsea clearly targeted him first half but there's no great shame in getting your backside handed to you by Pulisic - he's a good player. God knows why Frank swapped him over as Marcal totally nullified him.

also noticeable we passed through centrally a lot, 2nd half especially. all the back 3 played the ball out better in the 2nd half.

also noticeable we passed through centrally a lot, 2nd half especially. all the back 3 played the ball out better in the 2nd half.
Agree with this. I don't think he had a great individual performance but it was a good move to have traore as a threat through the middle too rather than outwide. Gave Semedo more space to attack

Shout out to Frank for taking off Giroud and nullifying almost all of chelsea's attacking threat. That really helped us out!

I thought Semedo was absolutely isolated in the first half, once Otasowie came on I felt he had some help and looked much better.

Podence is such a clever player, when things run for him he muct be horrible to play against, he moves the ball really well.

Traore didn't look right after the injury to me, could barely run.
Semedo definitely looked better second half...I'm a bit surprised he never takes his man on, don't think I've ever seen him go outside, which seems odd to me given his pace.

Was I the only one who thought Otasawie looked out of his depth?
Just in the interests of discussion, in what way do you feel he looked out of his depth?

Thought Otasowie did well. Nothing spectacular, but aside from a couple of misplaced passes and one moment of hesitation between him and Semedo re: defensive positioning I thought he was fine. Really enjoyed Saiss' sharp, crisp passing out from the back today too - he looked in great form. Neves was fantastic, though if I have one minor complaint is that he was a bit too deep at times in the first half. A few occasions where there was just no need for him to be almost level with Saiss and Coady as we looked to play passes into midfield.

So pleased with that today, much needed after those disappointing last few mins against Villa. And I realised that Neto goal was the first I'd properly celebrated in a while - that blissful combo of late winner and one where you know there's no way VAR might get involved.

Last edited:
Lot of positives covered here already by people - want to add that I loved how well we played centrally in the second half, a lot faster than the last few games and always looking to bring the ball forward. Winner is great, Saiss was really positive with the ball from the back, plenty of defenders would have booted it away. Smart pass by Vitinha (looked great in short cameo) and the goal itself is what we used to get from Jota. Incisive.

Probably the last late winner I have celebrated more was at Ashton Gate (in the ground) v Bristol City - good job I live on myown as the language was ripe :)

Lovely stuff. Feared a loss today but very happy to be proven wrong.

Super finish by Neto to win it. Podence is such a nightmare to play against and really handy defensively. I love how feisty he is, properly scrappy and willing to dish it out.

Osatowie had a good debut, nothing too eye-catching but he grew into the 45 I think, it didn't help we conceded so early into the second half for him to really settle from the off.

Marcal is a great defender, really like him, he's so composed and has good distribution. Saiss slotted back into a three and put himself about plenty.

VAR is utter wank. I saw off the first replay there was no contact as I'm sure all of us without gold tinted specs did so why did Michael Oliver need three minutes of staring at slow motion replays and Twatwell need to go to the monitor? and then not book Neto? Right call but why does it need that length of time? Get a grip ffs.

Delighted with the win, think we did brilliantly at bypassing the Chelsea midfield and Kante in particular during the second half, the goal and penalty both arose from good passing out from the edge of our box.

Last edited:
Im absolutely over the moon with this win. After Saturday, i had wrote this game off. How wrong was i ? The fighting spirit is back, and the wobble has been steadied, well done Wolves, im in a brilliant mood.

That performance was much better and it showed in the confidence that the players had.

Two superb shots for the goals; we need more of the same. The quality's there, they just need to keep believing in themselves.

Superb 3pts. and moves us up the table to 9th temporarily, despite that -4 GD

Oh, when we hit the winner our cat also nearly shit itself. Looks like Weasels cat and ours have something in common.😁

For what it's worth I don't think Neto dived, Kante knocked him off balance with a nudge in the back before he got into the box and his legs were all over the place, the replays only went back that far once or twice which made it look a lot worse than it was. The slow mo from behind showed clearly he was never going to keep his balance running at that pace.

I thought today’s little cameo what exactly what we were looking for when we signed Vitinha - always looking to get forward and make a difference. Vitinha and Otasowie - looks like we have a good future.

Super win :D, missed the first half when i messed up the recording on the tv...second half after the equaliser we played very good, especially Podence and Neto(still best player of the season for me). Thought Semedo got better defensively and offensively as the second half grew(should have shot there when he was through on goal even at that angle). Bit worried by the injuries, Boly, Traore and hope Neves was fine in the end there..

I thought today’s little cameo what exactly what we were looking for when we signed Vitinha - always looking to get forward and make a difference. Vitinha and Otasowie - looks like we have a good future.
Aye, and Fabio will be total quality one day, mark my words :)

Back