• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Derby: The Verdict

We worked hard defended high (mostly) best we've seen for ages but we shouldn't get carried away we still have a prick of a manager

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Tbf, having a hard running worker and nuisance up front (Sig today) is a lot different from having one as an attacking midfielder (Edwards).

Still think we should change our manager..our play didnt fill me with confidence at all. Yes, we had the will to win but that was about everything..

The Siggy debate. Yes it is clear that he does have ability its just that he does not show it often enough or for long enough. He does not score enough, hold the ball up enough or create enough for a lone striker. In his entire time at Wolves I can only think of 1 game where he was anywhere near man of the match and that was the visit to POSH in 2012 where he scored . Zyro in his very brief spell has already shown more. He is left footed too not something we have had a lot of on the pitch recently until Saville and Helan this weekend. Look how better balanced we looked because of it. Savilles first goal was that our first left footed goal since Seyi Ojo scored against Birmingham? I dont know there may have been a two foot tap in but that's the last I remember.
Still I digress- Siggy has done well to force himself back into contention but has IMO still to live up to the potential we were promised 3 years ago and the 2.5 million we invested.
It has been a god awful season and I still want a change at the top, in recruitment and in management. But to keep me interested for the rest of the season the likes of Zyro, Williamson, Mason and Helan staking claims together with the long overdue return of Martinez in goal will pique it nicely. We are pretty much safe in mid table now with this win so we can think about next year.

Watched the game live, all alone in our Local. Even my wife couldn't bring herself to be subjected to it.

I have never been so depressed by a Wolves win. Our first goal seemed to be a case of "where the hell did that come from"?

Their equalizer had me thinking that a second half capitulation was once again on the cards. A wall that cannot do its job against a free kick. Jump, for gawd's sake! A keeper imitating a cat climbing curtains.

The one crumb of comfort was that Derby were awful. Seemed to think they just needed to turn up to win. Even so, Derby still had 57% possession, but didn't make it count. And they had twice as many shots on target (4 to our 2....). Wolves did win the foul count though, making 17 to 12.

The game had draw written all over it throughout the second half, until we scored in the 86th. Two shots on target. Two goals.

Away against Middlesbrough on Friday night will tell us whether this game was just an anomaly. All the stats say we were lucky, but then again we are playing better away over the season.

Can one make a difference? I thought Helan certainly did - a balanced team does actually pay dividends...

Sako frustrated the shit out of us when he first arrived and he wasn't blighted by injury?

Sako was instantly our best player the moment he joined, and hit the ground running massively. In fact, he was consistently excellent until he started to fade (as foreign players quite commonly do when coming to England) as we had overworked him. Comparing the two is crazy really.

I had some guy behind me who was itching all match to give stick to Moxey. He was even still berating him for lying to us over the attendance figures when Saville scored the winner.

A decent performance at last on a terrible pitch. Well done to Saville, Coady and Doherty for being the best players on the pitch. Nice to see Helan look better than I expected - I can see the Sako comparison but he lacks the goal threat and balance on that showing. Brings a much more balanced team shape though.
As for Siggy he did his best with little to work on really. Absolutely nailed on to be dropped from that role the minute Dicko is fit again though. Byrne looked ok but will probably be back on the bench when Zyro is fit.

I haven't posted on the Wolves thread for ages because of all the negativity, so imagine my surprise to sit down and watch a positive performance from our boys.

KJ explained his tactics before the game, starting with a flexible 4-3-3, and after a ropey start we got into the game well, playing a higher line than expected and forcing Derby back into their half.

Derby tried hard to bully us out of our stride and at times it worked, but not enough to stop us putting in a satisfying effort overall and a deserved win.

Whichever way you look at it, Wolves deservedly beat a team that were sitting 5th and wanting to push on, and while I understand fans' frustrations over this season, you can't deny this was a fantastic result for us.

We've got 99 problems but the pitch aint one :)

Can't argue with that but a pitch that has been very good all season long since we were a Premier League side has become a cabbage patch his season.

Is it the mild weather perhaps, it's been a very warm winter. Would that have an effect on the pitch?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I sat at the back of the North Bank which I'm sure those who have sat there will agree gives you a different perspective to anywhere else in the ground. What it did do is give a clear view of the job Siggy had to do, he ran tirelessly trying to get on hoofs from Batth and Ikeme. You can't use the word aimless as they weren't, it was a tactic and I felt sorry for him having to do a role which doesn't suit him particularly well. Being our tallest forward doesn't all of a sudden make him a target man. I thought he worked his socks off trying to perform a thankless task.

As for the rest of the game, well living in Derby the result is all that matters really. I thought we grafted well and attacked with purpose. We weren't great, but after being so poor for so long we never were going to be. Saville, Coady and Doherty having better games than I thought they were capable of. Helan and Byrne will excite and frustrate in equal measures. On the free kick debate, it didn't go into the corner, it wasn't hit with venom and it didn't take a deflection therefore I'd expect the keeper to save it as did most sat round by me.

Those hoofs may not be aimless but a lot of them aren't very accurate. Particularly in the 2nd half Ikeme constantly found one of the 2 centre halves who were standing on their own while he was aiming for Siggy who had taken up his position on the right back or left back.

It seems a bit silly to compare Helan with Sako, we were never gunna get anyone near his ability but if Helan provides any of Sako's good points and provides a bit of balance to the side, then he has to be a bonus...obviously its only one game and we'll see if he can maintain or even improve as the season goes on.

Well, that was well worth the trouble and effort!
Rob & I have been making it over between 1 to 4 times a season for a long time and Saturday was the first time we’ve seen Wolves win in 7 years! Seven fucking years!!
And we had just the best seats up at the back of the North Bank, practically in the centre so the view was fantastic. It doesn’t matter how you photograph it, the steepness of the terracing cannot be accurately described. I mean the goal wasn’t over there…. It right down here just beneath your feet! It was brilliant to see how the attacks unfolded and see how moves broke down etc.
We looked around for Jason and Kenny and anyone else but couldn’t locate any other of you guys.

Surprised to see Derby in a changed strip and how turquoise was that!
I hope our change kit doesn’t look that bad!
Overall I was pleased to see how little room we gave Derby to play in, having given everyone and his dog freedom of Molineux for 90 minutes in the past few games, so the defensive unit seemed to get some cohesiveness from somewhere.
Delighted to see Helan make his debut but as he’s essentially I was surprised to see him start out as a left winger, but at least he wasn’t given a debut playing up front on his own (Jackett, I’m looking sideways at you for that one) we were delighted at some of his interventions, running so hard and fast, becoming a target for a pass, making room, pulling a probably surprised Derby defence all over the place with Byrne doing the same thing on the other wing, we really seemed to be setting up quite well. Although seeing the formation on Wolves TV at the back of the stand Derby were lining up as 4-3-3 and we were going 4-1-4-1, so what the fuck was that Kenny?
We expected KMac to be overrun and be at least as ineffective as he has been frequently.
There were a lot of low quality periods of play where both teams were competing for the most uninspiring passages of play, but I was pleased at how we combined with Derby’s ineptness to produce a stifling effect on their play. McDonald had a good first half. Frequently kep the ball well and passed it well, particularly in the 1st half. 2nd half Derby reorganised their midfield and matched us up a bit more, so he was less effective.

But getting a familiar drum out to bang, I’d like someone to explain to me that when we have the ball Ikeme just pumps it past the halfway line where mostly the ball got headed back into our half or either way we handed possession back to Derby and put our defence under pressure 30 seconds after we had possession. I know there’s an argument that Batth hasn’t the confidence or skill to collect a roll out from Ikeme and play it up field rather than your big ‘up and under’, but surely one of the back 4 could do it?
Coady looked well and played great running off the ball, but some of his distribution lacked a bit. His energy was effervescent, never stopped and much of our better forward forays had him at its centre. There were many periods when he went Chasing with Saville and kind of defended from the front.
Doherty was another surprise too, with one laughably funny moment of international skill to the right of their box, (from where I was sitting) where he tricked and swerved and beat about 15 players, twice, before putting in a cross which Saville rose like a salmon to glance past a disgusted Foster.
Now Siggy I have a problem with as on the only day I’ve actually seen him, his close control twice let him down badly, in his 7 starts this season he has only 3 shots on target with 0 goals, even the long rate shot that beat Foster hit the post, was a half hit, partly scuffed affair.
So a brilliant day, a great win, I know there were several patches of turgid football, but our goals were well taken, lead up them was great and Saville’s shot clear, well intended and precise and his header beautifully judged, good clear goals, nothing scrambled off the goalline, and their goal was a brilliantly take freekick. But from high up behind it we couldn’t tell how far above the wall the ball travelled, although looking at the replays it looked like they just didn’t jump… Was it really that simple?
First win in 7 years for us two, we’ll take that!

We looked around for Jason and Kenny and anyone else but couldn’t locate any other of you guys.

I am not at games this season (but it sounds like you sat where I used to). Jase and Paddy both decided having the option to switch off the TV if we were shite was better than being there

I was pretty pleased with my new location on the far right of the Southbank, a few 'lads' most of their angst aimed at the oppositions fans which is fine by me, they went at half time and never returned.

Well that was an enjoyable trip to Wolves, first win myself and WH have seen at the Mol for 6 years!!! The game itself wasn't great but Derby were poor and at times made us look like Barcelona. Penk Wolf sorted us with good seats, in the middle of the North bank towards the back and the view was superb, it really allows you to see the game develop and see the spaces and who's not covering them etc. As we walked into the ground, the first thing I noticed was how bad the pitch looked, quite bare on the Billy Wright side. As soon as I saw that Derby were going 4-3-3 and we were playing Saville and Coady in the middle, I said we were going to get hammered. I'm glad they made me eat my words! Just before the teams walked out, the Derby manager walked over to the Derby fans in the Steve Bull lower and applauded them to up the ante, which they did, and once the game kicked off, the only noise was coming from them.

The atmosphere wasn't poisonous as I thought it might be, but it took their defender to slice one out for a corner to wake our fans up, with the South bank singing 'What the fucking hell was that' to get the atmosphere going. Jeremy Helan looked sharp right from the start, taking on and beating his man and with loads of pace to spare. He looks a real talent on that showing, good on the ball, finds space to run down the wing, use his physical strength to hold Debry players back when trying to get around him and also tracks back to get stuck in when required. It was a good debut from him and he really allowed us to stretch Derby, who looked quite narrow at times. On the other wing, Byrne was showing some skills to get around his man, his first touch was quite poor, but he's got the capability to run into space and allow us to get forward, my only gripe with him, is that he holds the ball up too long sometimes, when he should be either cutting it inside or crossing first time. I thought he did well and should have been given way more free kicks as he was getting kicked and pulled a lot, but the ref seemed to let a lot go. Like Helan, he doesn't shirk his defensive responsibilities and tracks back when required.
As we piled forward down both sides, the crowd grew louder and the team grew in confidence, as Coady who look a bit half arsed for the first 15 mins, started to get stuck in and made some good tackles to stop them running through the middle. When the goal came it was a nice little cut inside by Byrne who laid it off to Saville who took a touch and then passed it into the bottom corner, it was a great finish and we all though it was Siggy from where we were, couldn't believe it when it was announced it was Saville! Fair play to the lad, who kept his composure with 2 defenders charging in.
After that it was all Wolves for a spell, Kmac and Coady sweeping things up and releasing the wingers who tried to find Siggy but the service wasn't great, but full marks for endeavour. Baath and EEL had a bombscare each in the first, backing off to allow Derby to get through but Helan, Coady and Saville made crucial tackles to foil them, Saville especially who took one off the foot of a Derby player as he winding up to pull the trigger. There was a shitload of handballs that weren't given, for both teams, and at this point the crowd turned on the ref, and I think he took it personally.

The equaliser was against the run of play, Doherty was coming forward more and getting into some good positions, as the forwards runs of Helan were pulling the Derby defenders towards him, leaving space for Doherty to fill and he had just won us a corner that came to nothing, when Derby broke forward and won a free kick on the edge of the area. Now this is something that we aren't good at, setting up for set pieces. Ikeme didn't really know what he wanted and Coady was leaving a huge gap in the wall, you could see he just din't want to be in the wall at all, and before the ball was even kicked he was almost turning sideways instead of trying to block it. Martin's kick was good but no-one in the wall bothered to jump and Ikeme had his diving boots on again as he was nowhere near it. It was a sweet strike but very frustrating to watch as we spent ages setting up for it, and in the end made it easy for them. Siggy blasted a rocket from the edge of the area just before half time but it just went over, would have been a great goal.

In the second half I thought we would make the fatal error of playing for the draw but we kept attacking, the formation working well, allowing Coady and Saville to fill in the spaces on the edge of their area. Siggy was played through on a glorious chance, with their defenders scrambling to get back, but the ball just wouldn't come under his control, he chested it, got it caught under his legs and then struggled to pull the trigger and they cleared it. A lot has been said on here about it being Siggy's fault, but the pitch was really bad in the area and it was unlucky for Siggy more than a lack of skill.

Derby made 2 changes after 15 mins, and I thought they were going for the win, but again we kept up the pressure, clearing our lines and unleashing the lads on the wings, resulting in Matt Doherty overlapping with Helan and getting through on goal and scoring! It was a tidy finish into the bottom but he was a mile offside. But it highlights how well Helan and Doherty linked up, to allow Doherty to get forward into that position.

Coming into the last 20 mins, there were no subs warming up and Ken sent Mason on cold. No wonder we have so many injuries. The crowd sang 'You dont know what you're doing' briefly, as it was a weird sub. Siggy's chance to score came from an interception in their half, he managed to shrug off Shackell to create some space but it was a bit of a daisy cutter, coming back off the post. The best moment of the game came when the attendance was announced as 19,000. The Derby fans started chanting 'Your support is fucking shit', and at that point Saville popped up with the winner and the whole of Molineux sang the same back to the hapless Derby fans in a nice bit of poetic justice.

So all in all, a good way to return to winning ways, and a well deserved MoM performance from Saville, but special mention to Doherty who did really well going forward, he had a slight bombscare when heading a cross out for a corner inside our 6 yard box, but overall he did really well. Also Coady played well, I was slating him in the first 15 mins but he grew into the game and made some good challenges in defences while running into the space behind Siggy when we attacked. Defensively we didn't look great at times, EEL and Baath doing their job competently but not liking it when players ran at them, but going forward we looked the best we have done in a while.

Was good to see Penk and Darlo again, and also to meet Machin, Parkin and Aikiwolf for the first time.

On the Sunday we did the Wolves museum which was superb, would definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't gone and it's a fitting way to pay tribute to our footballing legacy.

Glad you both had a good day.

Back