• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Derby: The Verdict

As we've just played like a cohesive unit and won a game for the first time in ages, I doubt there'll be any changes for the next game

I think someone else mentioned this already but Zyro will have only been training for two days by the time Boro rolls about - bench is the best we can expect with that

Seems we watched different games.

Siggy was a waste of a shirt. How anyone can say he "lead the line well" when he didn't win a single header, got the ball caught under his feet in good positions - and has a worse touch than Dave Edwards is beyond me. Thank God Zyro is back soon.

Sorry but can't agree with this at all. He won quite a few headers and if he didn't he put pressure on the 2 centre halves who generally weren't able to bring it down or knock an easy header to a team mate. He got the ball caught under his feet because the pitch is like a ploughed field and i think he did well a few times. In fact quite a few wanted him to come off when Byrne did but in that last 15 minutes or so he linked up play and held it up better than he had done all game.

he won little in the air and his first touch was poor, but he worked bloody hard and he did create some openings for himself. Wasn't great but wasn't overly terrible. I would rather we had played Mason mind.

Seems we watched different games.

Siggy was a waste of a shirt. How anyone can say he "lead the line well" when he didn't win a single header, got the ball caught under his feet in good positions - and has a worse touch than Dave Edwards is beyond me. Thank God Zyro is back soon.

Otherwise, I was really pleased with the performance. On paper Derby looked much stronger than us, but having players who were willing to run with the ball at their feet and attack with pace made a massive difference - which is why I also disagree with you on Helan. I referred to him as "a more attacking looking George Elokobi" in the matchday thread, but he grew in to the game as it went on and some of his one touch link up play with Doherty on the left was a joy to watch (amazing I know). Thought his deliveries improved as the game went on too, and considering he's not been in the first team picture at Sheffield Wednesday for about three months, you have to tip the cap to him.

Byrne looked much happier on his natural side. Coady, KMac and Saville (who I've been very critical of in the past) actually worked as a unit. I'm pleased for Saville because these two goals should do him the world of good and it's nice to know there's a footballer in there somewhere.

The only other thing I was disappointed with again was Ikeme. He claimed a few crosses but was no where near their goal, no thanks to Iorfa not jumping. It was nice to see a bit of fight and passion in the performance rather than rolling over, though.

I'd give my man of the match to Doherty.

I agree with all of this, Jinky.

Overall I'm delighted and very pleasantly surprised by a spirited, gutsy performance and a well deserved 3 points.

As we've just played like a cohesive unit and won a game for the first time in ages, I doubt there'll be any changes for the next game

I agree! I'd make no changes, most of the criticism is, imo, misplaced. It's part of a footy fans desire for perfection and not a reaction to what we see on the pitch.

Just watched the highlights, our goals were neat approach play and really good finishes imo. As for theirs, yes you can criticize the wall and Ikeme but you have to admire the quality of the free kick.

Have to say I'm surprised to hear the criticism for Sigurdarson. To slate him for not winning enough headers when he was on his own vs Shackell & Keogh is ridiculously harsh IMO. He's done very well under the high ball since he's come back into the side but he's not a target man by any stretch of the imagination.

We did enough -Helan has no right foot -Doherty confused Deutsch by playing well - Siggy was better than some on here would have you think .

Good company, a couple of beers and a win - a good day out

Have to say I'm surprised to hear the criticism for Sigurdarson. To slate him for not winning enough headers when he was on his own vs Shackell & Keogh is ridiculously harsh IMO. He's done very well under the high ball since he's come back into the side but he's not a target man by any stretch of the imagination.
Even forgiving him for losing out time & time again in the air, it was obvious for all to see that he's a natural panicker when the balls on the ground. It's like his brain tells him to do one thing but his legs do something else. When he has space in front of him and the ball at his feet he's so bloody clumsy and his touch is dreadful. To praise Siggy for running around a lot seems odd when people berate Dave Edwards for doing just that.

Wolves fans have been extremely patient with Siggy when you compare his output to other players who take much more criticism. I understand the lone striker role isn't his preferred position, but I just don't think he's very good and he wasn't cheap.

He was the one negative in an otherwise positive performance.

Can't agree with that Jinks. He faded in the second half and I think that horrendous stumble knocked him, but before that he was fairly tidy. Drove well at times and went close from distance on two occasions. He worked the ball out of some tight situations and was far more effective than Dave - although that's an odd comparison to make.

He wasn't brilliant, but he certainly wasn't a blot on a good team performance.

Even forgiving him for losing out time & time again in the air, it was obvious for all to see that he's a natural panicker when the balls on the ground. It's like his brain tells him to do one thing but his legs do something else. When he has space in front of him and the ball at his feet he's so bloody clumsy and his touch is dreadful. To praise Siggy for running around a lot seems odd when people berate Dave Edwards for doing just that.

Wolves fans have been extremely patient with Siggy when you compare his output to other players who take much more criticism. I understand the lone striker role isn't his preferred position, but I just don't think he's very good and he wasn't cheap.

He was the one negative in an otherwise positive performance.

Couldn't disagree more. Sigurdarson is a very capable footballer, good touch, quick thought and great vision. A few dodgy touches in one game doesn't change that. He's been fantastic since returning to injury.

Can't agree with that Jinks. He faded in the second half and I think that horrendous stumble knocked him, but before that he was fairly tidy. Drove well at times and went close from distance on two occasions. He worked the ball out of some tight situations and was far more effective than Dave - although that's an odd comparison to make.

He wasn't brilliant, but he certainly wasn't a blot on a good team performance.
Not really comparing Siggy to Dave Edwards in any way other then they both run around a lot and can't control a football. I don't really buy the excuse of the pitch being poor either. It was the same for everyone and they are supposed to be professional footballers.

He's one of these players that is better when he doesn't have to think about what he's doing. Give him time and he panics/overthinks things, meaning he inevitably loses possession.

We'll be a better team for having Zyro back.

I'm no big fan of Siggy but I thought that he led the line reasonably well and never let their defenders settle. As for not carrying the ball well, I can't recall any player on either side doing that on a beach like pitch. Helan did well for me and like others have mentioned he gave the team balance. As for Saville, he doesn't pass the ball brilliantly, not great in the tackle, not a natural athlete, crap haircut, can barely string a sentence together when a microphone is stuck in front of him but two terrific goals.

Motm - Coady

This is the first time I've seen Sigurdarson's touch desert him. I'm not having that he's a poor footballer, it's simply not true. I hate to do this but can I ask how many times you've seen him play since he returned from injury?

This is the first time I've seen Sigurdarson's touch desert him. I'm not having that he's a poor footballer, it's simply not true. I hate to do this but can I ask how many times you've seen him play since he returned from injury?

Only a couple of times (and it's a bit of a cheap shot to bring that in to it). I'm basing my opinion of Siggy on a lot more than the last 4-5 games, though. I've seen more than enough of him since he's been at Wolves to form an opinion that he just isn't very good.

Put it this way - 0 goals in 7 appearances from Siggy since his return (3 in 3 for Zyro but that's another story). He doesn't score - he doesn't hold the ball up - he doesn't work the space well in the channels - he doesn't particularly bring other players in to play to create chances. What exactly does he do?

I'll happily admit he's being asked to play a role that doesn't really suit him, but even when he was in his preferred position when he first joined he didn't show anything to prove he can make it in England. Happy for him to prove me wrong but can't see it happening.

Only a couple of times (and it's a bit of a cheap shot to bring that in to it).

Nah. You're being completely unfair to him.

We'll have to agree to disagree. He's exactly the opposite of the player you're describing there IMO, no point arguing any more.

Fair enough, mate. We'll agree to disagree.

But you were also "completely unfair" on Helan earlier in this thread when you called him "fairly shit". At least I've given you my reasons why I think Siggy is a bit shit! :icon_lol:

Only a couple of times (and it's a bit of a cheap shot to bring that in to it). I'm basing my opinion of Siggy on a lot more than the last 4-5 games, though. I've seen more than enough of him since he's been at Wolves to form an opinion that he just isn't very good.

Put it this way - 0 goals in 7 appearances from Siggy since his return (3 in 3 for Zyro but that's another story). He doesn't score - he doesn't hold the ball up - he doesn't work the space well in the channels - he doesn't particularly bring other players in to play to create chances. What exactly does he do?

I'll happily admit he's being asked to play a role that doesn't really suit him, but even when he was in his preferred position when he first joined he didn't show anything to prove he can make it in England. Happy for him to prove me wrong but can't see it happening.

Sako frustrated the shit out of us when he first arrived and he wasn't blighted by injury?

To say Sigurdarson has no touch is odd to say the least, look at the footwork for his goal against Boro his first season or the Huddersfield highlights just off the top of my head. For sure he's no target man and more often than not the ball will be coming back if we launch it at him but also look at the state of the pitch presently too, another factor which will impact productivity on the ground. Whilst he isn't the messiah and I wouldn't lose too much sleep if his contract isn't renewed I think you're being ridiculously harsh here.

Back