• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-1 Man City: Verdict Thread

We ain’t gonna see eye to eye on it then. For me it’s quality play and he gets credit for it. Needn’t be the same for you.
So how does it become “not quality”?

So how does it become “not quality”?
Pass is inaccurate, overcooked, etc.

The first touch is heavy and the chance goes.

Desperate for a goal, he tries to swivel and strike, or even do a ludicrous back heel.

Pass is inaccurate, overcooked, etc.

The first touch is heavy and the chance goes.

Desperate for a goal, he tries to swivel and strike, or even do a ludicrous back heel.
IMG_0272.jpg
Have you even watched it back? This is half a second before he plays it/falls to him. It’s impossible to fuck up, particularly for any of the reasons to mention. Doing the latter two would file under “stupidest things I’ve ever seen”.

Toti was really good. Seemed to have been given the role of looking after Foden and he didn't give him a yard.

Yup. Same with Dawson being put solely on Haaland.

The tactics worked really well today, particularly defensively, and lightened the load on Semedo and RAN. If we can keep it up it’ll be encouraging as we can force teams through the middle and we don’t lose too many midfield battles.

I am no real fan of Cunha, but the excellent thing about the lay off is that he takes nearly 3 players including the keeper out the game with it. I am with Alan and feel like lots of other attack minded players probably try to turn and hit that.

Toti was really good. Seemed to have been given the role of looking after Foden and he didn't give him a yard.
Defensively toti is good, car crash on the ball

Ballon’dawson it is then, according to Micah 🤣

Just watched it back.

Neto was imperious, particularly in the first half. He's unstoppable in full flow.

Hwang was excellent and is so clinical. Hats off to the guy, he's improved massively this season. Like others were saying, maybe he's more settled now he can speak English well. He is such a nightmare to play against - works hard, is strong in the tackle, clinical finisher. Vital player for us this season. Some fantastic shitehawkery too. MOTM for me.

Dawson. Close second for MOTM. Really should be captain IMO. He had Haaland in his pocket all game.

Special mention for Traore too who was an excellent physical presence when he came on and helped us see the game out.

O'Neill - best managerial performance by him yeat. Tbh probably the best managerial performance for a wolves manager for a long long time. Now, if he can build upon this and perform against the smaller teams in the league, we may actually be onto something.

Toti was decent at RB last season under Lop too tbf. Not really the marauding full back you want but, for a square peg in a round hole, he rarely put a foot wrong.

O'Neill - best managerial performance by him yeat. Tbh probably the best managerial performance for a wolves manager for a long long time. Now, if he can build upon this and perform against the smaller teams in the league, we may actually be onto something.

We actually looked a well drilled team today with everyone knowing their duties and a clear game plan. Let’s hope it’s the start of something rather than a one off.

I am no real fan of Cunha, but the excellent thing about the lay off is that he takes nearly 3 players including the keeper out the game with it. I am with Alan and feel like lots of other attack minded players probably try to turn and hit that.
Not really sure why Cunha attracts such negativity. I can certainly see why Lope wanted him. Seems to me that his price tag is what he is being judged by.

I think he has done OK since arriving and is clearly learning what the Prem is all about. His best game was at Old Trafford and the way he can carry a ball is a really good attribute. Yes, he has weaknesses but I'm sure he will improve those in time. Frankly, he's far from our worst problem.

Wasn't right before the goal. Was right at the end of the first half and he could easily have gone. Didn't mean to catch Walker (?) but he did and he was well late.
He had every right to challenge for the ball, which he did and made no effort whatsoever to play the player (Walker).

No right minded official would book a player for that challenge. The fact any fan would suggest it was a booking is because of the chicken shit officiating we all have to suffer and the fact that those decisions are often given in favour of the "big" club, leading to a sense of entitlement by their fans.

One of the most pleasing elements for me, after re-watching the game, was how we didn't wilt under the pressure after the equaliser, when most of the football world would have expected them to pull away 3-1 or something as we tired.

To actually regain the lead through a composed counter attack was so satisfying...

It’s all been said, but what a tremendous game and fair play to GON for the set up and keeping them at it in the second half. I’m not one for blaming poor performances on a series of somehow unrelated player errors when we’re bad, and the corollary is the manager gets credit when they turn up. Small things like the way they come out for the second half can matter, and it looks like that learning had been made judging by the way they returned to the pitch.

Dawson MOTM for me but everyone put in a good show. Thought Semedo was very good and the purpose of his run and cross for the goal summed up positive unusual things happening all over the place. FWIW (which is nothing) I had a decent view of Cunha diving not long before his run and tumble and wouldn’t be surprised that the (terrible) ref had that in mind when deciding on a pretty 50 / 50 call. Their free kick looked like a certain push to me - unlike the Cunha ones I’d have been livid if that hadn’t been given to Wolves. Looked like Sa could have done better, good hit though.

Was a very happy late journey home!

Back