• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Spurs: EFL Cup 3rd Rd - Bah Lost on Penalties Verdict Thread

Moving away but staying slightly on the same subject Nuno brought Regulon on as a spot kick taker, pretty sure we should have done the same with Raul instead of the Podence - Moutinho sub.

Moving away but staying slightly on the same subject Nuno brought Regulon on as a spot kick taker, pretty sure we should have done the same with Raul instead of the Podence - Moutinho sub.
Yeah i was surprised he didn't bring Raul on, he felt Moutinho was a sure penalty scorer too presumably and could only make 1 more change.

It just seems to me that people seem to be fixated on the Adama ‘problem’ which would constitute an agenda, which is what it appears, whether I’m right or wrong only the people writing their post will know.

I don’t think many of those players you mentioned has exceptionally long careers with us, especially holt, but we will leave that as that’s not the main discussion.

to answer your points

this season, Adama’s end contribution, like the majority of our players has been bugger all, hence why we have won 1 in 5 in the league. He should’ve scored vs leicester being a glaring example, however the general consensus on the forum seems to be (untill Brentford atleast) that things were postive, we were creating chances, playing good football. Adama, starting each game must surely be part of that?

i like how direct he is. I like his pace and power and ability to beat a man. Equally, I hate his end product at times and decision making. I just don’t buy into the ‘hes useless, get rid’ if he had consistent end product, he wouldn’t be playing for wolves.

from what I’ve seen, teams double up on him. Doubling up will mean there is additional spaces on the pitch. Now, I’m not saying for a second that hwang and Podence wouldn’t be able to play without him, but by teams doubling up on Adama that will leave space elsewhere. Whether that frees up Podence, hwang, dendonker, semedo etc it just opens up other space. Good example is someone else said bringing on a traffic cone would have more impact than Silva last night.

the agenda part is traore has no where near been our worst player, or a problem IMO. I don’t see the same level of discontent aimed at, say Raul, trincao, semedo, Coady etc. Just feels traore, because he is more explosive and noticeable gets really flack
It's not a view I agree with on Adama as you well know, but thank you for explaining.

I don't see an explosive player, I see a wasteful, frustrating player contributing nothing to us at the moment and it's on Lage not to pick him or suffer looking at the same frustrating thing game after game. Dribbling past players and then not doing anything with it has always turned me off a player. I just don't see the point in watching them.

I think we're a better team without him starting but I can see him as an impact sub, but not on the right wing as his crossing is dreadful.

I'd much prefer to see fluid movement off the ball where defenders can't see the players they're supposed to be tracking. Klopp's Liverpool and City when they're not going all turgid have great dribblers but it's rarely about them, more the movement they have on and off the ball.

I'm not sure why you've listed Semedo or Trincao as one has really picked up and the other has been here 10 minutes.

Coady, Raul and others including Donk have had their fair share of praise and criticism on this board.

Yes it is!
You'd expect a professional footballer to hit a barn door. I mean seriously!
This is their job I don't think they take it seriously at all.
I understand he's trying keep it high and hard but not hitting the target is shite. Neves should be fined! A couple of yards away from hitting that big target. Dendonler was just a shite pen, far too near the centre.
I've said this loads of times in the past but Hibbit used to put a little post in the ground 18" inside the post for 20 mins at the end of every training session. So if called upon in a match, he just slotted it inside the post. What is so fucking difficult?
And yet we have countless examples of professional footballers missing penalties. Even ones whose skills are more suited to taking penalties than Coady & Donk.

A message to CARALHO - Shared IP Addresses can be viewed as long as that member is still present on the forum and has not been deleted (hence why another poster was able to carry out his not so well disguised move to another forum username).

It's not a view I agree with on Adama as you well know, but thank you for explaining.

I don't see an explosive player, I see a wasteful, frustrating player contributing nothing to us at the moment and it's on Lage not to pick him or suffer looking at the same frustrating thing game after game. Dribbling past players and then not doing anything with it has always turned me off a player. I just don't see the point in watching them.

I think we're a better team without him starting but I can see him as an impact sub, but not on the right wing as his crossing is dreadful.

I'd much prefer to see fluid movement off the ball where defenders can't see the players they're supposed to be tracking. Klopp's Liverpool and City when they're not going all turgid have great dribblers but it's rarely about them, more the movement they have on and off the ball.

I'm not sure why you've listed Semedo or Trincao as one has really picked up and the other has been here 10 minutes.

Coady, Raul and others including Donk have had their fair share of praise and criticism on this board.
I was alluding to them as I was basing it on this year and feel Adama is taking the blunt of the blame for our current shortcomings, so was just listing players In all

but fair points. I don’t necessarily agree with them but as mentioned it’s a game of opinions.

If we go with a front 3 of Podence hwang and Raul I wouldnt mind Sunday. I think we have 5 players to fill the front 3 positions that are more than capable of scoring goals, in any guise

A message to CARALHO - Shared IP Addresses can be viewed as long as that member is still present on the forum and has not been deleted (hence why another poster was able to carry out his not so well disguised move to another forum username).
giphy.webp

from what I’ve seen, teams double up on him. Doubling up will mean there is additional spaces on the pitch. Now, I’m not saying for a second that hwang and Podence wouldn’t be able to play without him, but by teams doubling up on Adama that will leave space elsewhere. Whether that frees up Podence, hwang, dendonker, semedo etc it just opens up other space. Good example is someone else said bringing on a traffic cone would have more impact than Silva last night.

Teams do double or sometimes triple up on him but only when he gets the ball, there's never 2 players just following him about all game though so the space is reliant on Adama identifying and picking a pass out that punishes this. If he did that, teams wouldn't double him but he's just not that sort of player, to quote an NFL phrase 'the are selling out to stop the run' because they know space for others isn't going to hurt them with him on the ball.

Tbf to him, he does often beat all 3 but then is usually forced into a low % cross or shot because of the position he's in. He was infinitely better when he played on the shoulder the first few games, I was even optimistic he'd get a decent goal return but he's regressed back to doing what he used to do and unless Raul is at his peak those crosses just won't be fruitful.

I guess this is why we were after Kieffer Moore
Would have helped adama but even so crosses from the byline are not well converted, one of the reasons most top clubs play with inverted wide players is because the delivery angle is better and there's shooting opportunities added to that.

I like Adama for his raw ability to get past players but after he's done that he's like a wide Andy Keogh. He does all the right things until the critical moment.

Go back 4 years to Middlesbrough 1 Wolves 2, against 9 men it was rinse and repeat. Thats the most frustrating thing, there has been limited signs of maturing to his game. For all his domination of the ball it took to the 96th minute for him to make something happen.

You see him do some things with good results like the composed finishes at Man City, or the run and assist for Jonny v Palace, or give & go/goal v Brighton and think yes thats what we're all here for but it doesn't stay with him.

Personally if he maintained that composure or thought process even without always getting results it'd be less frustrating than seeing it one match and it being forgotten/ditched.

In mitigation he had a really good relationship with Raul but that was fucked at the start of last season by Nuno deciding to play him at RWB, realistically, his first good game last season wasn't until the Arsenal game we lost the latter. On he's our all time 'assister' some of those only he could create (Everton away) some of them Raul had no right in scoring (Bournemouth home) when he ploughed through a couple of their defenders to score which we aren't going to get now even if Adama puts it on a plate to attack.

Would have helped adama but even so crosses from the byline are not well converted, one of the reasons most top clubs play with inverted wide players is because the delivery angle is better and there's shooting opportunities added to that.

Good point, case in point the two good saves Ruddy made last night from Gil and Kane were a ball across goal and a cross from inside forwards.

We've all been over this a million times, but the question remains, who are we replacing him with?

Podence for one of the wide spots right now, sure. Hwang strikes me as a better central option than wide and Trincao has provided as much end product as Adama so far.

Back