• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Spurs: EFL Cup 3rd Rd - Bah Lost on Penalties Verdict Thread

I will question why Adama didnt take a penalty and left it upto Coady and Dendonker to take one. A forward in that position should ALWAYS take one of the first five.
I understand Coady taking one more than dendonker. But agree you’d hope your forward players would be demanding to take them

I will question why Adama didnt take a penalty and left it upto Coady and Dendonker to take one. A forward in that position should ALWAYS take one of the first five.
Fair shout.

No one has mentioned him but Ruddy played very well last night I thought.

Why? Some of the best penalty takers of all time weren't/aren't forwards.

Pearce, Andy Thompson, to name but two.

Bully also only took a couple in his career.

Those you quoted as defenders took them week in week out, Raul and Neves are our penalty takers, the rest apart from Coady scoring at Bolton dont take shit.

I think the point is Coady already knew he was a shit penalty taker before last night. Still felt he had to prove it again though :ROFLMAO:
I am joking. Fair play to the 5 who rocked up. Just not very good at it , thats all. On another day Coady hits it 2 inches lower and it goes in off the bar. Small margins.

Not a chance, Lage would have asked any forward still on the pitch first. For me Adama has said no.
Why do you think that?

Some players are more suited to take penalties than others, be it technical ability or mental attributes, perhaps Coady is very good at them in training and Adama isn't.
Those you quoted as defenders took them week in week out, Raul and Neves are our penalty takers, the rest apart from Coady scoring at Bolton dont take shit.

And neither does Adama.

Good point. I guess they were known for penalties and were regular takers, not fourth or fifth in a shootout.

that being said, I recall in the euros a lot of teams had lots of defenders taking penalties in shootouts. I guess it’s different to being clinical in open play. You’re kicking a stationary ball with few variables

Why do you think that?

Some players are more suited to take penalties than others, be it technical ability or mental attributes, perhaps Coady is very good at them in training and Adama isn't.

And neither does Adama.
Yeah, I’m taking back my agreement of why on earth didn’t Adama take a pen. Points well made

I think the point is Coady already knew he was a shit penalty taker before last night. Still felt he had to prove it again though :ROFLMAO:
I am joking. Fair play to the 5 who rocked up. Just not very good at it , thats all. On another day Coady hits it 2 inches lower and it goes in off the bar. Small margins.
Adama clearly for me is having a mass confidence issue, he's not scoring when he should, he's running into trouble far to often and culminating in bottling a spot kick last night. Did he have it in his head the penalty he missed against Leicester a few years back.

Why do you think that?

And neither does Adama.
But he's a forward, all forwards should step up and be counted it's there job to score goals not Coadys or Dendonkers.

Adama clearly for me is having a mass confidence issue, he's not scoring when he should, he's running into trouble far to often and culminating in bottling a spot kick last night. Did he have it in his head the penalty he missed against Leicester a few years back.

Where on earth has all this come from!? :ROFLMAO:

But he's a forward, all forwards should step up and be counted it's there job to score goals not Coadys or Dendonkers.
In open play yes, in a penalty shoot out situation, no. This is like saying defenders shouldn't come up for corners because they are not there to score goals. If someone is a good penalty taker then it does not matter where they play.

I'm stepping away from this now, as your making my face frown far too much, i just don't understand your point, to the extent where it feels like a wind up.

Not a chance, Lage would have asked any forward still on the pitch first. For me Adama has said no.
Forwards aren't always a teams first choice penalty taker so why would you automatically default to them for a shoot out?

I'd have thought it more common to ask for volunteers to take them and then the manager to make his selection/sequence from there.

Back