• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Spurs: EFL Cup 3rd Rd - Bah Lost on Penalties Verdict Thread

If we ever manage to play 4 at the back I’d like to see Fabio in a front two or with a number 10 behind him before writing him off completely.

If we ever manage to play 4 at the back I’d like to see Fabio in a front two or with a number 10 behind him before writing him off completely.
He was written off the day we signed the direct debit mandate

As i said, he came on and created two excellent chances in his 45 mins on the pitch, that's what he is there to do and that is what he did, that qualifies as a good performance for me, it's not his fault our attackers can't finish or lack the intelligence to be in the right place at the right time.
This is laughable rubbish. Smashing the ball where no one can get it is not creating a chance.

Beating players does not get you goals. There has to be end product or he’s just a FIFA street character.

He was appalling, losing the ball in his own half, unable to pass or even see a pass and standing still when people wanted him to move.

As DW says he played well at inside left but Podence is a better option there and Trincao better on the right.

I think Wolves need to be realistic about where Fabio is in his career. He's not an option at the moment and won't develop by playing the odd cup game and a few minutes in the league here and there. In my opinion he needs game time and experience and so should follow the same pathway we have for any other prospect from the academy. Play in the u23s and try to get a move on loan somewhere so he can build himself up, so to speak.

He has very little experience and as we saw last season and this, the PL isn't a league you can just rock up to.

Whether he "makes it" or not is still a question which won't be answered until he's 21,22,23 but wolves need to ensure they give him every chance of doing that. How were developing him at the moment won't help him.

We've made one mistake with the transfer fee, we shouldn't follow it up with more mistakes based purely on that fee.

I think Wolves need to be realistic about where Fabio is in his career. He's not an option at the moment and won't develop by playing the odd cup game and a few minutes in the league here and there. In my opinion he needs game time and experience and so should follow the same pathway we have for any other prospect from the academy. Play in the u23s and try to get a move on loan somewhere so he can build himself up, so to speak.

He has very little experience and as we saw last season and this, the PL isn't a league you can just rock up to.

Whether he "makes it" or not is still a question which won't be answered until he's 21,22,23 but wolves need to ensure they give him every chance of doing that. How were developing him at the moment won't help him.

We've made one mistake with the transfer fee, we shouldn't follow it up with more mistakes based purely on that fee.
A season at Grasshoppers would have been far more beneficial than sitting on the bench here. Kane went on loan a number of times and only really looked a prospect at about 22. There's time for Fabio to develop but it won't happen if he doesn't play competitive games. It is now clear that he is of no use to us this season so get a loan sorted for 1 January and let him develop out of the spotlight he is currently under. His lack of pace makes me doubt he'll ever be a top forward but let's at least give him every chance to prove the sceptics wrong.

When he is 22/23 he will no longer be under contract here.

We don't have 5 years to wait and see. He was a bad signing and I've seen enough if him. There's only so long you can keep using age as an excuse. Don't expect him to be the finished article but there are very very few signs he's ever going to be good enough.

On Traore, we need to stop putting him on the right as all he does is hug the touchline and put generally bad crosses in. Podence looks good and I think his movement will help Trincao and Raul.

It’s a pretty negative move from the offset having Coady as number five penalty taker. It’s as if as captain he’s said I’ll take the blame for the loss when/if I miss.

On Traore, we need to stop putting him on the right as all he does is hug the touchline and put generally bad crosses in.
9 out of 10 times by the time he’s reached the touchline there’s no time for a finesse accurate cross, so it just gets wellied across the face of the goal for someone to have to go and retrieve before it goes out for a throw in.

I forgot to say last night.

92nd minute, 2-2 in a cup match. Moutinho decides to play a short corner. Absolutely abysmal. We’ve scored from a corner in the first half - we’ve looked dangerous from them throughout - get it in the box. He’s the most experienced player in our squad but that was brain dead. RAN needs to be starting and on set pieces moving forwards.

We don't have 5 years to wait and see. He was a bad signing and I've seen enough if him. There's only so long you can keep using age as an excuse. Don't expect him to be the finished article but there are very very few signs he's ever going to be good enough.
Only so long? Fucks sake man, he's been at the club 12 months and he's still in his teens.

Everyone acknowledges the fee was ridiculous but then still continues to judge the player like he's actually worth that value. He's a kid, ignore what he cost for now and judge him as one.

This is laughable rubbish. Smashing the ball where no one can get it is not creating a chance.

Beating players does not get you goals. There has to be end product or he’s just a FIFA street character.

He was appalling, losing the ball in his own half, unable to pass or even see a pass and standing still when people wanted him to move.

As DW says he played well at inside left but Podence is a better option there and Trincao better on the right.
I wouldn’t say it’s laughable rubbish. I don’t think it was his best game, as mentioned he lost the ball in dangerous positions twice.

however it’s no surprise we look more threatening with him on. His end product , yes is more hit and miss currently, but even if he is having a poor game he still occupies 2 or 3’of the opposition, giving your Podence’s and Hwangs more space.

You have to judge him by what he’s shown on the pitch and that isn’t very good. If he were homegrown there is no way he’d be anywhere near the first team.

Only so long? Fucks sake man, he's been at the club 12 months and he's still in his teens.

Everyone acknowledges the fee was ridiculous but then still continues to judge the player like he's actually worth that value. He's a kid, ignore what he cost for now and judge him as one.
No one had really heard of Harry kane until he was in his 20s.

I’m going with that logic, wishful thinking, absolutely!

People are judging him on the fact that he doesn’t look like a very good footballer and he has no standout attributes.

I don’t want to see him in our first team again this season.

Not overly bothered about the penalties or progressing in the cup. Survival while we transition away from the old style is the only thing that matters this season. On that note, I don't think we learned anything new last night, only confirmed what we already knew.

1) The sooner we move away from the reliance on Coady the better. Sorry La, it's been emotional but it just ain't working and I can't see it ever getting back to the way it was.

2) Fábio is lightyears away from being an effective player at this level and especially in this team. We need a player who can drop deep and bring our wingers/attacking midfielders into play. All Fábio can do is finish, and even that needs work.

3) The most positive outcome with Traoré right now is that he somehow hits a run of form, scores a few goals to keep us in the league and somebody spends £40-50m on him so we can continue rebuilding the squad.

People are judging him on the fact that he doesn’t look like a very good footballer and he has no standout attributes.

I don’t want to see him in our first team again this season.
I think he does have standout attributes but they're never going to be allowed to shine in this team.

1) contract extensions are a thing

2) what would you do?

I think he does have standout attributes but they're never going to be allowed to shine in this team.
I’m not sure there are any particular attributes that stand out, but he does seem to have a decent attitude and is willing to put in the work, on the pitch and off it. Hard work I suppose is an attribute, but I’d say it was expected of every player really. He does have decent movement and has shown flashes of being able to pick a pass, but really nothing special that you’d expect to see in a potential future star.

On Traore, thought we looked more threatening as soon as he came on but that may be cos he's not Silva. I was disappointed in him tbh, reverted back to Nuno Traore when in the first 4 games I thought he was developing quite well. So many times he had the ball in space and just waited till there 3 men on him and ended up giving the ball away. One particular time he was about 35 yards from goal in acres of space, all of Spurs defenders were on our left side....he just had to knock it past, run past their defence and he would have been in on goal but dawdled and ended up passing it out wide....chance gone.
I'm far from a Traore hater but think it's worth starting 2 of Hwang, Trincao and Podence on Sunday.

Back