• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-2 Spurs: EFL Cup 3rd Rd - Bah Lost on Penalties Verdict Thread

1) contract extensions are a thing

2) what would you do?
Unless there is drastic improvement there is little point in extending him. The club have got none football people who have blown so much smoke in Fabio's direction - "best 18 year old player in the world" - "would get into any team in the Premier League" - clearly absolute bollocks but if Shi actually believes that the it shows a very worrying lack of understanding of the game.

I'm not sure what the club can do. They've backed themselves into a position where they can't play him any reasonable amount as he's not good enough to play at this level, they can't sell him as nobody would even give us half of what we paid for him and not really sure where he goes on loan that would get him ready to play for us.

Yes he's a kid but you should still be able to see more signs than he's shown so far. He's miles off.

This is laughable rubbish. Smashing the ball where no one can get it is not creating a chance.

Beating players does not get you goals. There has to be end product or he’s just a FIFA street character.

He was appalling, losing the ball in his own half, unable to pass or even see a pass and standing still when people wanted him to move.

As DW says he played well at inside left but Podence is a better option there and Trincao better on the right.
It's just a different opinion to yours mate.

Creating an opportunity for a team mate, IS an end product, it's not his fault if those players don't finish said opportunity. See Raul's terrible miss against Brentford for details.

Leaving that aside, we looked far better when Traore came on, we had more impetus, we had an out ball, we were occupying their left side. We were just better.

RE Adama: must have missed the 'fluidity' the team apparently shows when he isn't playing, as much of the first half was a shocker.

He scared the hell out of the Spurs defence at the start of the second half, delivered a great cross which all our forwards somehow conspired to miss, and a lovely dinked ball into Moutinho that came to nothing. Certainly played his part in making it a respectable performance in the end. Agendas against him clear to see, and borderline embarrassing.

Hwang only really came into the game when playing centrally, so 'play Hwang, Pod and a sub-par Raul' is hardly the tactical masterstroke some would have it.

Was impressed with Pod however, I wouldn't have put money on most of our forwards putting his chance away, definitely looks like he's over his issues last season.

Positives were RAN, Donk, Hwang and Pod. Negatives, poor Yerson already looks like he'll make Boly look an ever-present. One of Ruben's worst performances I've seen for us too. Sloppy and inaccurate, very unlike him.

And yeah, struggle to see what Fabio can bring to a PL attack, sad to say.

The fee is a problem though. As it’s affecting how we’re using him.

If we’d signed him for 5 million we’d have sent him to Famalicao/ Grasshoppers/ Coventry or let him play in the U23s. But because there is such a big fee we are using him as a first team player when we wouldn’t do the same with a player of equal ability/readiness from the academy.

So ignoring how his fee has affected the rest of the club transfer wise. It is affecting his personal development too, whilst also affecting the clubs performance in games as he’s a waste of a shirt.

I think he does have standout attributes but they're never going to be allowed to shine in this team.
He isn’t totally useless but purely from a finishing perspective he needs a lot of work. There’s been a large volume of headed chances where he hasn’t just missed the target, he’s missed the ball as well and because He’s so unathletic he struggles to make space for himself or get accross defenders.

The chance yesterday in the first half where it was put accross the face. It’s looked like an airshot but I heard a touch as he and Sanchez went for the ball so couldn’t tell if Sanchez got a touch, he Mishit it or a bit of both.

Plenty of players who have been lethal at lower levels but struggle to make the step up because they lack physical characteristics or just don’t have that but extra in their game. Less space, defenders are quicker and stronger, keepers are better, less foregiveness on a poorer touch and less opportunity.

Fabio hasn`t shown any progression from when he first came here. Not good enough to warm the bench so may as well loan him out. I would be interested to see what team, at what level, would be interested in taking him.

Silva shouldn't be given headers, he's too small and slight at the minute.

Playing devil's advocate, maybe he just had a really poor game last night. At the end of last season, he was looking generally ok, scored a couple of goals and there were games he came on as sub where people were quite high on his prospects going forwards.

I do think he should ideally play a few games with the U23s as well as being in the first team squad though.

Unless there is drastic improvement there is little point in extending him. The club have got none football people who have blown so much smoke in Fabio's direction - "best 18 year old player in the world" - "would get into any team in the Premier League" - clearly absolute bollocks but if Shi actually believes that the it shows a very worrying lack of understanding of the game.

I'm not sure what the club can do. They've backed themselves into a position where they can't play him any reasonable amount as he's not good enough to play at this level, they can't sell him as nobody would even give us half of what we paid for him and not really sure where he goes on loan that would get him ready to play for us.

Yes he's a kid but you should still be able to see more signs than he's shown so far. He's miles off.
This. Absolutely. End of debate .Perfect summary.

Rafa Mir went through a similar journey, and from a lower base.

He’s nowhere near as bad as some of you are making out. We all know he’s not worth £35 million but he’s a young lad that got flogged a lot last season when asked to perform an impossible task of playing upfront in this team replacing what a fully fit Raul was doing.

He’s far too good for the 23’s, he played one game against Donny and scored twice. Against Forest this season when we got players around him he had an excellent 2nd half, created 2 and could have had a couple himself but for a good save, Saiss getting in the way and him not being great in the air. He’d 100% score goals in the championship.

What we do actually need to do is move to a style that would suit him and get players narrower linking up within the width of the box, that’s not for him though either it would suit most of our players more and would give us a better base to play from and identify players.

If you don’t want to see him ever again I don’t think that’s going to change now but he does still deserve more time and using last night to batter him is tough because he looked no worse than Hwang, Podence and Neves etc in the first half but they all got a chance to improve.

And so far at 24 has only proven himself to be a bottom half La Liga striker. Which is less than what Willian Jose did at the same age.
Did you expect him to get that far based on his performances for us and forest?

Did you expect him to get that far based on his performances for us and forest?
No and I’m still not convinced last season wasn’t an anomaly.

However he went to the Spanish second tier, which is somewhere between lower championship and league one to develop his game. When and how is Fabio getting that opportunity?

No and I’m still not convinced last season wasn’t an anomaly.

However he went to the Spanish second tier, which is somewhere between lower championship and league one to develop his game. When and how is Fabio getting that opportunity?
That's exactly the opportunity he needs

It's also a bit of a lesson not to write players off at 19.

People are judging him on the fact that he doesn’t look like a very good footballer and he has no standout attributes.

I don’t want to see him in our first team again this season.
Plenty of players out there who don't burst onto the scene with anything standout about their game go on to have fine careers in the game, I'm hesitant to use the comparison with Kane as he's turned out to be incredibly successful but he was a complete nothing player for a long time at the start of his career. Look at MGW, a fairer comparison, I don't think he has anything standout about his game and he's had far greater exposure to the first team than Silva over a far greater time period too but he's still not really pushed on to any great extent yet doesn't attract the same level of vitriol. If anything MGW seems to get more forgiveness as still being young, not being used in the right position, hell people seem to regret his departure now he's had a couple of decent games for Sheff Utd in the Championship.

People have gone far too extreme on Silva, not you with the comment above mind, in saying they never want to see him play for Wolves ever again or that there's no point wondering what he'll be like in 3-5 years because he won't be here by then. I'm sure that's been said about plenty of young players after they've struggled to make an impact as a boy in a man's game, yet plenty will have gone on to do perfectly well for themselves.

I can only see it being down to the fee, as I said earlier, people love to slag off how much the club overpaid in getting him here but they're still more than happy to judge him more in line with Jimenez than a youth team player, which he still pretty much is.

For me the context is that he was hyped as the player of a generation. Mir wasn't. I wont write him off but I fear that most athletes don't gain pace or get faster as they get older particularly when then have next to no pace at 19. Fabio is a spectacularly poor piece of business by the club that has been further compounded by the abysmal recruitment that followed. Its on the club I agree, but lets not paint Fabio up to being anything other than a run of the mill footballer. He excels at nothing, positioning , touch , vision , pace, finishing , heading passing. Nice lad , great hair.

When has anyone ever said this? :ROFLMAO:

Back