• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-4 Leeds: Verdict Thread

Yeah, if we're sticking to a back four (we should) and Kilman is the 4th of 4 centre halves (or 5th of 5), that's pretty much ok. He doesn't earn a huge amount, is home grown and probably wouldn't be a dick behind the scenes about it.

He's been pretty much first choice for over 18 months now and that's coincided with us regularly turning to shit at the back, that isn't an accident. He isn't a good starting centre half in the Premier League for a number of reasons.

Writing off Neto is daft.

Not writing him off by any stretch but the big thing that he's missing is how direct he was before. His first instinct was to go at the defender, now he's constantly checking back inside or takes 2/3 touches to decide what to do with it. I'm not sure if confidence or fitness are playing a part but before it was so natural.

Semedo is by far the most overrated player we’ve got by some of our fanbase because when he’s good he’s very good at least defensively but he has a period in 4 out of 5 games where he forgets he can play football. Also nowhere near good enough on the ball in the final third for a full back these days, can’t defend a ball over his head still, has no understanding ever with the winger in front of him, his first touch is generally negative and the one thing that used to be consistently good was his one on one defending but that’s become average aswell, look at the opener on Saturday and how easy he let Soloman get inside him at Fulham for example.

We desperately need a rb in the summer.
The issue with Semedo is people just can’t accept he’s bang average. So obviously there was the massive pile on when he first joined as he was utter garbage, so then the Semedo fan club was created where they have to point out when he was good and say “look I told you he was fucking class” when he actually has a decent game and make up stuff like “he carries the ball well” to justify him actually being good, when all he was doing was running ino the empty space afforded to him by being a WB, turning round and then passing backward as soon as he met resistance.

We also get the “he’s a better WB” when he’s playing FB and “he’s a better FB” when playing WB. Basically he’s poor going forward and varies between good and shit defensively, so not really good at either (obviously can still have good games, just like anyone can).

Made a career from athleticism really

The issue with Semedo is people just can’t accept he’s bang average. So obviously there was the massive pile on when he first joined as he was utter garbage, so then the Semedo fan club was created where they have to point out when he was good and say “look I told you he was fucking class” when he actually has a decent game and make up stuff like “he carries the ball well” to justify him actually being good, when all he was doing was running ino the empty space afforded to him by being a WB, turning round and then passing backward as soon as he met resistance.

We also get the “he’s a better WB” when he’s playing FB and “he’s a better FB” when playing WB. Basically he’s poor going forward and varies between good and shit defensively, so not really good at either (obviously can still have good games, just like anyone can).

Made a career from athleticism really

I'd class him as decent, he's never gonna be a superstar laying on chance after chance but he's relatively solid defensively most of the time. He's a good outlet for us and often receives the ball under pressure but he's woeful in the final 3rd. He'd be ok in a team with proper wingers but as we play inverted he doesn't really suit.

I'm blaming the weather for last Saturday . It's the rain - we don't like the rain.........that's it .

Shit in the winter, now shit in the Spring. We should be sound during the next cycle when we become terrible in the Summer.

Don't forget about November. Apparently we never, ever win then. Even when we do.

Semedo has always appeared to defend fairly narrowly [I'm sure there's a technical term for this but I can't think of it now] and close to his CH. As a result this affords his winger quite a bit of time and space in which to receive the ball before Semedo closes him down. It's also why I think he's vulnerable at the back post when defending a cross from the other wing as he doesn't know where the man behind him is [caveat - he's been better at this, this season].
With Dawson playing he doesn't appear to be as quick in getting out to his man [I assume under instruction from Lop or Dawson] an stays tighter to his CH. As a result the winger can either cross unchallenged or push into a better position and be on the front foot when Semedo does close. Fulham had three chances prior to their goal in the sixth minute where Gnonto received the ball in acres of space and was able to pick out a midfielder arriving into or on the edge of the box. The first time Harrison (I think) blazed it into the SB when he really should have done better, the second was cut out but not cleared and the third resulted in the goal.

It was one of those goals you could see coming a mile off and not just from the six minutes we had that day but from previous games where any team with a winger/wide player had acres of space. Mitoma and Solomon spring to mind in addition to Gnonto.

I've never massively been a Semedo fan and this isn't jumping onto that bandwagon as currently, with Bueno out, he's the least of our FB issues!

Semedo has always appeared to defend fairly narrowly [I'm sure there's a technical term for this but I can't think of it now] and close to his CH. As a result this affords his winger quite a bit of time and space in which to receive the ball before Semedo closes him down. It's also why I think he's vulnerable at the back post when defending a cross from the other wing as he doesn't know where the man behind him is [caveat - he's been better at this, this season].
With Dawson playing he doesn't appear to be as quick in getting out to his man [I assume under instruction from Lop or Dawson] an stays tighter to his CH. As a result the winger can either cross unchallenged or push into a better position and be on the front foot when Semedo does close. Fulham had three chances prior to their goal in the sixth minute where Gnonto received the ball in acres of space and was able to pick out a midfielder arriving into or on the edge of the box. The first time Harrison (I think) blazed it into the SB when he really should have done better, the second was cut out but not cleared and the third resulted in the goal.

It was one of those goals you could see coming a mile off and not just from the six minutes we had that day but from previous games where any team with a winger/wide player had acres of space. Mitoma and Solomon spring to mind in addition to Gnonto.

I've never massively been a Semedo fan and this isn't jumping onto that bandwagon as currently, with Bueno out, he's the least of our FB issues!

He does seem really weak in those situations where there is space between him and the winger, he never seems to close that gap effectively and has a terrible habit of showing people the wrong way. It's really annoying as he's usually very effective 1v1 in tighter situations. Need to find a way to get him out tighter to the winger sooner, don't let them have time to get the ball under control and formulate an idea of what they want to do.

Jonny's goal has won Premier League Goal Of The Month

Back