• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-4 Leeds: Verdict Thread

The three CMs was always going to be a disaster as not one of them make runs past the ball.

You only had to watch Newcastle Friday to see what a real 8 does. Everytime the ball went wide, Longstaff or Willock made a run beyond the ball inside the FB. Now the ball is either played through to them or the big gaping hole they’ve created dragging one or two of the opposition with them allows Guimares time and space to do whatever he wants or Isak to drop deep and get on the ball.

Whereas we do none of that. FBs barely make an overlap and we get the horseshoe of doom. Dan Burn is better in an attacking sense than most of our lot.

Not sure why it’s still happening 3 managers on. JL even had success out the 442 but some reason ain’t playing it. Semedo outside Sarabia and Bueno/RAN outside whoever we decide to opt for on the left. Suits the front 2 and suits the CMs and certainly doesn’t impede the wider players like it did Saturday.

Last edited:
I watch quite few vlogs, none of them football related. I mean surely you go to the match and are completely immersed in it, how do you have time to do a decent blog, makes no sense.
Absolute joke.

I said this in the match day thread. For some reason he lifts it up into the air right next to the keeper. Any forward in form would just guide it into the left side of the goal along the ground.

I'm of the opinion that more and more nowadays he likes to do things which look good on film instead of keeping things simple. Like Rabona nonsense instead of a simple pass/shot.

Podence has apparently put a still of his shite overhead kick on his Instagram page. Is he fucking thick?

Him in one image. Bicycle kick to score in an impossible situation or attempt to play a ball to the 2 unmarked men at the back post?20230321_082645.jpg

If we do stay up, which is going to be touch and go right until the end. We have got a lot of work on again in the Summer which is a pretty shit state of affairs considering the sums spent this season.

Most of the players we've bought this season are worth keeping I think - with one obvious exception who's already mostly out.

Most of the players we've bought this season are worth keeping I think - with one obvious exception who's already mostly out.
And at a net profit by the looks of things too.

If we do stay up, which is going to be touch and go right until the end. We have got a lot of work on again in the Summer which is a pretty shit state of affairs considering the sums spent this season.
I don't think we're far away tbh.

Pod, Adama, Sa, Raul, Nunes, Neves and Moutinho leave.

Our first XI should be:

New GK
Semedo Dawson New CB Bueno
Lemina Gomes
Sarabia Cunha Neto
Sasa
Back up:
Bentley
New RB Collins Kilman RAN
Traore New CM
Chiquinho Cundle Hwang
Silva
It's the system we have to change. If we play wide players wide we need Cunha as the second striker or an attacking midfielder to break into the box. If we play the front 3 narrow we need our full backs to put plenty of balls in, which probably means replacing Semedo.

Playing a flat midfield 3 with wide forwards and an isolated striker is beyond stupid now.

Our biggest signings should be a left sided CB and keeper. If the opportunity came to sell Semedo for anything approaching the figure we paid for him we should do it too.

Not sure that's true (penultimate post)

Guedes - on the first of his numerous loans before release

Nunes - will go to Liverpool probably for a small profit at best

Sasa - added a serious injury to a list of other serious injuries

Traore - has promise, but never fit. Hopefully just bad luck

Collins - early promise, but has regressed. I still think he'll come good, but he's worth less now than we paid for him

Cunha - Good things happen when he's on the pitch, but we are already paying a premium for him

Lemina - good signing, but not one we will make money on

Dawson - as above

Sarabia - good value signing, others disagree, but I don't think he offers any more than all the others in his position

Gomes - not much to base an opinion on yet

Costa - band aid in a case of desperation

Bentley - no real opinion, but seems to have replaced what we lost with Ruddy dressing room wise

Last edited:
What do you disagree with? Other than Sarabia most is fact rather than opinion

I like the fact that Sarabia gets into good goalscoring positions in the box rather than just staying out wide. He's had a few good chances to score when he plays.

He's a little vanilla on the ball though.

I think Julen is struggling with the balance of the squad (quelle surprise). He wants to play 4-3-3, but we don't really have the players to make it work. None of the wide players score regularly and are inconsistent - they also play miles away from each other, our forward/s can't hold the ball up, the defence is error prone and the wing backs offer next to nothing going forward. The midfield gets overrun even with three in there.

You've got Kilman underperforming at the back, but the only man suitable to replace him also looks like a bombscare. Kilman probably hasn't been helped by having a mixture of Bueno, RAN & Jonny outside of him. Neves/Nunes/Lemina looked like a perfect balance in midfield for about two games, but now they've resorted to type and Lop hasn't helped by randomly throwing Moutinho/Gomes in there.

Like others have said, Lop needs to start playing players that will bring the best out of what we have here and try to settle on a "best 11". Raul needs someone close to him and Cunha isn't an out & out number 9, so play them together (Cunha just in behind, Neto/Sarabia either side in a 4-2-3-1). Neves & Lemina/Nunes behind.

I've heard Lop say the most important thing is the clean sheet, and I think that's why he likes the three midfielders, one up top - and why he switched to a back three to try and see games out - but if we're not keeping clean sheets, I'd rather he played players that might actually offer a threat going the other way. He's not been helped with all the niggling, annoying injuries we keep picking up, and that must be frustrating for him. But we'd be a lot better if we could play a consistent side, rather than making (unforced) weekly changes and then having to throw a glut of early subs on to try and change the course of the game, IMO.

Sometimes it's easier to keep things simple (I know it's easy for me to say).
Yeah a 4-2-3-1 that can easily shift to 4-2-2 if needed seems to be the best way to go.

Back