• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2-4 Leeds: Verdict Thread

Agreed, also Raul for all he's being touted as 'finished' looks much better with Cunha around him.
Still think in games we have reasonable chance of points, which is at least the next 5 imo, we should go positive from the start which for me includes Raul, Cunha and Sarabia.
Raul still has a role to play (at least for the next two months) but his finishing has properly gone to pot.

How do you miss this, do you want a bit more of the goal to aim at mate?

jfFeQj8.png

Raul still has a role to play (at least for the next two months) but his finishing has properly gone to pot.

jfFeQj8.png
I'm not sure what he brings if he's not finishing, his hold up play has not been great.

Raul without Cunha is like Ernie Wise without Eric. He gets isolated and frustrated. If nothing else changes in Raul’s game just stop standing in front of the keeper. It is not just pointless but counterproductive as it allows the keeper to waste more time.

Sarabia and Cunha definitely need to start as currently both Neto and Traore look better off the bench. Play it that way and there’s the added bonus Pod isn’t required.

For whatever reason, this 3 up top just isn't working at all, they're always miles away from each other. We either need to go 442 with Neves and Lemina/Gomes, or a 41212 with width coming from the fullbacks (who are either injured, suspended, or shit in the final third.

Semedo/Daws/Kilman/RAN
Lemina
Neves Nunes
Sarabia
Cunha Raul

Or

Semedo/Daws/Kilman/RAN
Traore/Neves/Lemina/Neto
Raul/Cunha

Whoever we play in advanced positions needs to play simply when presented with decent opportunities unless we're fucking 2-0 up.

Tired of watching rabonas and bicycle kicks from Raul and Pod when less flamboyant options may actually lead to a goal

4231 for me, Cunha in behind Raul as he actually runs with the ball, rather than into the opposition. Take your pick from the wide options, each has his own inefficiencies

jfFeQj8.png
Ouch, unlikely to get a better chance ever.

4231 for me, Cunha in behind Raul as he actually runs with the ball, rather than into the opposition. Take your pick from the wide options, each has his own inefficiencies
Been banging on about this for weeks, to me it seems the best system with the players we have.
Unless we're playing Arsenal, City, Man U when we might be etter with an extra cm.

Been banging on about this for weeks, to me it seems the best system with the players we have.
Unless we're playing Arsenal, City, Man U when we might be etter with an extra cm.
Trouble is we have a weak defence and need CMs to compensate.

Trouble is we have a weak defence and need CMs to compensate.
Problem is, 3 defensive midfielders doesn't seem to be making us any more solid at the back. In a 4-2-3-1 I'd be expecting one or more of the 3 to be dropping back out of possession.
I realise this all sounds a bit simplistic but that's the level of my coaching knowledge😁

Reactions: b3h
Problem is, 3 defensive midfielders doesn't seem to be making us any more solid at the back. In a 4-2-3-1 I'd be expecting one or more of the 3 to be dropping back out of possession.
I realise this all sounds a bit simplistic but that's the level of my coaching knowledge😁
In the same way that decent CBs can be exposed by a poor midfield, I think we’re currently seeing the midfield sold horribly short by our CBs.

Lemina was run ragged in the second half against Leeds likely in part because he knew he couldn’t trust Collins or Kilman to deal with any 1-on-1 defending, IMO.

jfFeQj8.png
I said this in the match day thread. For some reason he lifts it up into the air right next to the keeper. Any forward in form would just guide it into the left side of the goal along the ground.

I'm of the opinion that more and more nowadays he likes to do things which look good on film instead of keeping things simple. Like Rabona nonsense instead of a simple pass/shot.

Cunha is a strange one. I've not been overly impressed by him individually so far and certainly not for £40m+ but we are a massively better team with him in it. We absolutely must get him and Raul playing [close] together in the front 2 or 3 for the next run of games. This obsession with wide players hugging the touchline and no one being within 40yds of Raul is the same as the period in which Jota looked at his worst here.

Cunha is maybe the only attacking player we have who actively looks to exploit spaces between defenders. Everyone else is so, so fucking static.

I think Julen is struggling with the balance of the squad (quelle surprise). He wants to play 4-3-3, but we don't really have the players to make it work. None of the wide players score regularly and are inconsistent - they also play miles away from each other, our forward/s can't hold the ball up, the defence is error prone and the wing backs offer next to nothing going forward. The midfield gets overrun even with three in there.

You've got Kilman underperforming at the back, but the only man suitable to replace him also looks like a bombscare. Kilman probably hasn't been helped by having a mixture of Bueno, RAN & Jonny outside of him. Neves/Nunes/Lemina looked like a perfect balance in midfield for about two games, but now they've resorted to type and Lop hasn't helped by randomly throwing Moutinho/Gomes in there.

Like others have said, Lop needs to start playing players that will bring the best out of what we have here and try to settle on a "best 11". Raul needs someone close to him and Cunha isn't an out & out number 9, so play them together (Cunha just in behind, Neto/Sarabia either side in a 4-2-3-1). Neves & Lemina/Nunes behind.

I've heard Lop say the most important thing is the clean sheet, and I think that's why he likes the three midfielders, one up top - and why he switched to a back three to try and see games out - but if we're not keeping clean sheets, I'd rather he played players that might actually offer a threat going the other way. He's not been helped with all the niggling, annoying injuries we keep picking up, and that must be frustrating for him. But we'd be a lot better if we could play a consistent side, rather than making (unforced) weekly changes and then having to throw a glut of early subs on to try and change the course of the game, IMO.

Sometimes it's easier to keep things simple (I know it's easy for me to say).

I think simple is the way to go. We need to stay up by hook or by crook then reshape in the summer

Agree with both selection and us defending like lemons. I'm on the extra attacker rather than 3 CMs thinking. And playing better!

Back