• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Bristol 1 - the Matt Doherty masterclass verdict thread

Byrne is managing to be less effective than VLP on a bad day (but has still grabbed some goals so sums up VLPs ability).

Still no idea what he is good at and how we have managed to spend £1m+ on him. Helan is rubbish as well.

Sadly James Henry is still our best winger.

Byrne is managing to be less effective than VLP on a bad day (but has still grabbed some goals so sums up VLPs ability).

Still no idea what he is good at and how we have managed to spend £1m+ on him. Helan is rubbish as well.

Not Graham?

Utterly rancid first half, up there with some of the dullest s*** Solbakken served up. The change to 442 improved us somewhat, with a comedy goal giving us the lead after great work from Doherty.

Some awful defending at the back post once again from Iorfa allowed them back in, and the game looked like it was meandering to a draw. Hunte gave a little cameo and looked fairly excitable and lively, and Zyro looks like he has something about him

I missed the winner as I was bored and went on 90.

Meh.

At the start of the season it was being blamed on the talks over a new contract, now its the style of football which is given as an explanation to why it looks as though he couldnt care less.

Yeah I don't buy those excuses either but I will say that a lot of teams have figured out that If you don't give McDonald time and pressure him he is pretty ineffective. He is too slow on the ball and If you give him time he can punish you but when he is deep and being pressured he is pretty much a passenger.

KMac is a rolls royce who looks great in a team dominating a division. When the team is up against it he doesn't seem to want to know.

I wouldn't shed a tear if he left, to be honest.

McDonald looks to be struggling to me because of a lack of options to pass to. His game is passing and keeping the ball. We just aren't set up to play that way at the minute.

In the Boro game he was twisting and turning away from players keeping the ball well but couldn't do anything with it once he had.

He isn't the one at the back of the midfield in a 4141, doesn't have the pace or mobility to play it and never will. As I have said so many times before it's even boring me, his best form has always been alongside Jack Price. If you want to play the formation we did yesterday then Price plays the McDonald role and he moves into one of the other 2 midfield positions

McDonald looks to be struggling to me because of a lack of options to pass to. His game is passing and keeping the ball. We just aren't set up to play that way at the minute.

In the Boro game he was twisting and turning away from players keeping the ball well but couldn't do anything with it once he had.

There is an element of that, but it doesn't excuse bottling 50-50s, not even bothering to contest loose balls and putting in absolutely zero effort, which was the case last night.

Our pitch is horrific at the moment which means you can probably forget us playing any football in home games for the rest of the season.

He isn't the one at the back of the midfield in a 4141, doesn't have the pace or mobility to play it and never will. As I have said so many times before it's even boring me, his best form has always been alongside Jack Price. If you want to play the formation we did yesterday then Price plays the McDonald role and he moves into one of the other 2 midfield positions

Agree with this, its all about creating passing options please note Conor Coady who runs around like some lumux in need of a brain transplant neither offering the right pass or moving into good positions for the bloke on the ball.

There is an element of that, but it doesn't excuse bottling 50-50s, not even bothering to contest loose balls and putting in absolutely zero effort, which was the case last night.

Our pitch is horrific at the moment which means you can probably forget us playing any football in home games for the rest of the season.

I gave up expecting any kind of football being played at home after November before the pitch sucked. Ikeme's distribution was also terrible last night, so slow never tries a quick throw or has any vision.

Agree with this, its all about creating passing options please note Conor Coady who runs around like some lumux in need of a brain transplant neither offering the right pass or moving into good positions for the bloke on the ball.

I fail to see why you are lambasting Coady for McDonald being absolutely fucking useless, not giving a shit, and moping around stinking the joint out. McDonald was the fucking issue, not any other player.

McDonald was a disgrace and quite rightly hooked at half time. I wouldn't have him in the 18 for Sunday. If he's going to behave like that then he's got no business being anywhere near our squad on derby day.

Yeah I don't buy those excuses either but I will say that a lot of teams have figured out that If you don't give McDonald time and pressure him he is pretty ineffective. He is too slow on the ball and If you give him time he can punish you but when he is deep and being pressured he is pretty much a passenger.

I've being saying this since we came back up from Div 1, always been well overated imo........if we lumped all our CM players together you wouldn't get a decent one out of it, although Price has been consistently our best but if he has a couple of poor games he gets dropped for ages.

If he could run faster than a little faster than OHara did he would be the complete winger - together with more crosses into the box not over and past it. Suppose he does contribute to finding the net more than the others though

McDonald was a disgrace and quite rightly hooked at half time. I wouldn't have him in the 18 for Sunday. If he's going to behave like that then he's got no business being anywhere near our squad on derby day.

He appears to have a sulk on. I dont know why. He is becoming a bit of a primadonna here and thinks he is better than he is. That is a shame. He is great with a pass and with time on the ball but one paced and seriously lacking in the challenge. Also prone to stupid yellow cards. Coady has been much better the last 4 or 5 games. Kmac needs to suck it up and start earning his top billing wages here. Coady, Doherty have both been great for the last 3 or 4 games and justified their selection. I say this as they have been on the wrong side of my criticism this season and I am big enough to credit where credit is due. Still not 2 million quids worth for coady but better than that 200k I thought in January. I still think Doherty may get in the ROI squad this summer. They dont have huge talent at right or left back and he is playing himslef into contention. I know DW disagrees but I for one and glad to see his improvement. You know it wont last but long may he try

Thought Coady was poor last night and against Boro personally. All he offers is effort, he has no quality at all and again last night we were treated to the spectacle of him controlling the ball five yards on numerous occasions.

He's not a winger he's a right sided midfielder - same as Sako was a left sided midfielder.

He's banging his head against a brick wall. He's the best midfielder we've got who WILL look up and play the killer ball. Sadly there is no real sync with those further forward and I suspect that isn't the fault of Mac. My only criticism of him is that I feel he should lead more. He would have fitted beautifully into Mick's promotion team. - a better player than David Jones.

Back