• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - 1 Bristol City - Verdict thread

And now the player ratings issued by andyc225 at 18:25 on Saturday the 25th of January 2014:

There are warnings of dross at Henry and Referee.

General synopsis: Comfortable 3-1 victory over relegation candidates. Marked improvement expected Henry by 19:45 on Tuesday. Miserable fans expected Bristol Temple Meads by 20:00 tonight.

McCarey: Comfortable 7 to very comfortable 8, occasionally deck chair 9. Almost nothing to do apart from penalty and saves from distance pot shots. Good.

Ricketts: Above average 6, occasionally 7 for a time. Caught out of position for the penalty situation. Moderate or good.
Batth: Fantastic 9 to imperious 10. Handled JET well. Made important clearances. Very good or good.
Stearman: Above average 6. Likes to go on mazy runs. Heart in mouth moments. Good, occasionally moderate.
Golbourne: Above average 6 or perhaps average 5 for a time. Struggled with pace of opponents occasionally. Good or moderate.

McDonald: Excellent 8 to fantastic 9, perhaps imperious 10 for a time. Controlled midfield with Price. Good, occasionally very good.
Price: Good 7 to excellent 8, perhaps fantastic 9 for a time later. Started slowly. Grew into the game and linked up with McDonald well. Good, occasionally very good for a time.

Henry: Dross 3 to poor 4. Struggled to get into the game. Selfish - shooting from ridiculous positions and not releasing the ball at times. Didn't link up with Jacobs effectively. Poor.
Evans: Above average 6 to good 7. Linked up play well at times. Square peg in round hole in 4-4-2 formation but rapidly improved when pushed back. Good.
Jacobs: Average 5 to above average 6. Lack of effective link up play with Henry at times and improved the right side later. Moderate, occasionally good.

Dicko: Excellent 8 to fantastic 9. Debut goal. Set up opposition own goal. Encouraging signs, good or very good.

Sako: Good 7 to excellent 8. Scored winning goal and tracked back effectively for a time. Good.
Elokobi: Average 5. Little time for impact. Moderate.

Referee: Abysmal 1 to embarrassing 2, occasionally dross 3 for a time. Ridiculous decisions and out of his depth for a time. Very poor.
Bristol City: Poor 4 to average 5. Occasional hoofball. Silent fans. Moderate or poor.

And that completes the player ratings.

And now the player ratings issued by andyc225 at 18:25 on Saturday the 25th of January 2014:

There are warnings of dross at Henry and Referee.

General synopsis: Comfortable 3-1 victory over relegation candidates. Marked improvement expected Henry by 19:45 on Tuesday. Miserable fans expected Bristol Temple Meads by 20:00 tonight.

McCarey: Comfortable 7 to very comfortable 8, occasionally deck chair 9. Almost nothing to do apart from penalty and saves from distance pot shots. Good.

Ricketts: Above average 6, occasionally 7 for a time. Caught out of position for the penalty situation. Moderate or good.
Batth: Fantastic 9 to imperious 10. Handled JET well. Made important clearances. Very good or good.
Stearman: Above average 6. Likes to go on mazy runs. Heart in mouth moments. Good, occasionally moderate.
Golbourne: Above average 6 or perhaps average 5 for a time. Struggled with pace of opponents occasionally. Good or moderate.

McDonald: Excellent 8 to fantastic 9, perhaps imperious 10 for a time. Controlled midfield with Price. Good, occasionally very good.
Price: Good 7 to excellent 8, perhaps fantastic 9 for a time later. Started slowly. Grew into the game and linked up with McDonald well. Good, occasionally very good for a time.

Henry: Dross 3 to poor 4. Struggled to get into the game. Selfish - shooting from ridiculous positions and not releasing the ball at times. Didn't link up with Jacobs effectively. Poor.
Evans: Above average 6 to good 7. Linked up play well at times. Square peg in round hole in 4-4-2 formation but rapidly improved when pushed back. Good.
Jacobs: Average 5 to above average 6. Lack of effective link up play with Henry at times and improved the right side later. Moderate, occasionally good.

Dicko: Excellent 8 to fantastic 9. Debut goal. Set up opposition own goal. Encouraging signs, good or very good.

Sako: Good 7 to excellent 8. Scored winning goal and tracked back effectively for a time. Good.
Elokobi: Average 5. Little time for impact. Moderate.

Referee: Abysmal 1 to embarrassing 2, occasionally dross 3 for a time. Ridiculous decisions and out of his depth for a time. Very poor.
Bristol City: Poor 4 to average 5. Occasional hoofball. Silent fans. Moderate or poor.

And that completes the player ratings.

:clap::clap:

excellent stuff Andy - although I think a touch harsh on Henry. Otherwise a great summary

Enjoyed that - though it got off to a bad start having been caught in THAT storm. Wow.

Overall, a comfortable win against a side who will be seriously worried about their destination in May. I thought we occasionally lacked a bit of pace in midfield but the very heavy pitch didn't help that. Dicko's performance was encouraging, and he can't have played too much football recently either. Looks a clever player, though I'm shocked that he's been given the 2nd - I was convinced that was an OG off Williams.

A word on Sako - I have to give him credit here. When he came on, he looked really up for it, running at players, making space for himself and could have scored several. The one he did score was really well taken and he deserved it for his lively cameo. I still don't know whether he'll be here or not come the end of the window but if he is and he can replicate that form, that can only benefit us. What we don't want is a sulky Sako who doesn't look arsed. He was far from that today so credit due, Bakary.

The defence did okay except a few nervy moments but McCarey only really had to make routine saves. I don't think Brizzle had much width whatsoever so Baldock and JET were somewhat starved of service. So a more than comfortable victory - let's build on that and start to close the gap on the top 2. Play like that next week and I think we'll get another 3 points.

I think I say this every week but IMO the ref was a bit shit - no complaints with their penalty but how on earth we didn't get one just before Sako made it 3-1 I have no idea. A quite baffling decision which I thought we'd get purely because the ref gave so many niggly things against us that he may have tried to address the balance. He didn't. Tosser.

Poor Mini Langers was really cold by the end but was fine as we walked back to the station. A Kinder Egg and a bit of warmth later and he said he had a 'brilliant day and Wolves played great'. Oh, and he just told Mrs Langers that 'Daddy's loud friend was a bit quieter this time'. So there you go, Pad. He noticed an improvement.

:clap::clap:

excellent stuff Andy - although I think a touch harsh on Henry. Otherwise a great summary

Yeah - very enjoyable verdict!! I wonder what UKIP have found out that produced that hail of biblical proportions?!

Stearman was a bit of a disaster area today. Didn't have much to do, but managed to balls it up nearly every time!

KMac was imperious again. He's a joy to watch at the moment. He wants the ball, is so comfortable in possession, he's strong and can make space effortlessly. Hardly ever gives it away.

Price is a tidy little player. Nothing spectacular keeps thing ticking over and has great vision. Him and KMac have the means to boss the midfield all day.

Evans looked good in the advanced role again today. So much better than Edwards as Evans actually has a footballing brain. Great first time pass round the corner for Dicko's goal. He's a bit rough round the edges though and its prone to make the odd wrong decision but I, for one, am looking forward to watching him developed in the position.
Both fullbacks played well coming forward. They play a vital part in this current system as neither Henry nor Jacobs spend much time out wide.

It didn't come off for Henry today. Wrong decisions all over the pitch. Need to find his form again as he's gone off the boil.
Jacobs was very good again today. Should have gotten his shot away when he was put through by Evans late on, but he dallied a little bit and the defender got back in time. He worked hard though and played some nice stuff.

Dicko should be fairly happy with that debut. Took his goal with the kind of confidence you'd expect from an in form striker. Long may it continue.

Hahahahaha

I tried really hard not to have a huge f-bomb count today! When we were denied the penalty, I will admit a small relapse but I dont think he noticed.

Yeah - very enjoyable verdict!! I wonder what UKIP have found out that produced that hail of biblical proportions?!

Kudos to Andy. I take it your suit next week will be ready for a win?

liking the 'shipping forecast' version - thanks Andy.

Despite the known failings of the commentary the scores you have given for Henry & Sako very much mirror what was coming out over the Wolves Player. So good to have real time info & maybe they are not as bad as has been claimed.

Hahahahaha

I tried really hard not to have a huge f-bomb count today! When we were denied the penalty, I will admit a small relapse but I dont think he noticed.

TBH mate I almost c-bombed at that decision.

Kudos to Andy. I take it your suit next week will be ready for a win?

Different suit to the one I wore last time I was in a box. We lost that day (apparently - I was too smashed to remember) so here's hoping.

liking the 'shipping forecast' version - thanks Andy.

Despite the known failings of the commentary the scores you have given for Henry & Sako very much mirror what was coming out over the Wolves Player. So good to have real time info & maybe they are not as bad as has been claimed.

What you have to understand Mr Parkin is that there is NOTHING wrong at all with what you and Roy do during the games. I take my hat off to you both for making the effort so that our ex-pat members get info on the games. It's brilliant.

The issue was with members who attended being told that their opinion on the game was wrong based on the report of a (in my opinion) biased radio commentary. Anyway, no problem with that today, as everyone seems to agree we did a bloody good professional job.

No problem with that Paddy - not sure that either Roy or I have gone down that route anyway & would rather others don't. The 2 threads have differing audiences & purposes.

How good is Kevin McDonald? So calm in possession and plays with his head up, usually playing simple passes but keeping things moving and he bursts forward to good effect, I'm fast developing a bit of man love for him. I'm getting really excited by this midfield which I still don't think has quite clicked yet due to chopping and changing of formation and personnel. Henry and Jacobs were a bit below par but I think a 3 out of 10 is harsh, Henry's positioning alone causes problems for the opposition and he drifts in centrally a lot which allowed Ricketts plenty of opportunity to get forward, especially first half.

Good win but our defence was exposed a little at times and there were a few last ditch blocks and challenges, what happened to Batth to make him go off? It looked like he might have been elbowed so I'm guessing he had a cut and as there were only minutes left Jackett got the sub on?

Dodgy ref and a dodgy pitch but we still had more than enough to beat Bristol, I'm a happy bunny tonight

How good is Kevin McDonald? So calm in possession and plays with his head up, usually playing simple passes but keeping things moving and he bursts forward to good effect, I'm fast developing a bit of man love for him. I'm getting really excited by this midfield which I still don't think has quite clicked yet due to chopping and changing of formation and personnel. Henry and Jacobs were a bit below par but I think a 3 out of 10 is harsh, Henry's positioning alone causes problems for the opposition and he drifts in centrally a lot which allowed Ricketts plenty of opportunity to get forward, especially first half.

Good win but our defence was exposed a little at times and there were a few last ditch blocks and challenges, what happened to Batth to make him go off? It looked like he might have been elbowed so I'm guessing he had a cut and as there were only minutes left Jackett got the sub on?

Dodgy ref and a dodgy pitch but we still had more than enough to beat Bristol, I'm a happy bunny tonight

Batth was elbowed. He had a cut and couldn't have got sewn up in time so send Gorgeous George on was the best solution.

Agree re: Henry's positioning - it's excellent. He broke away really well, always found space in good areas and tracked back well enough but I think it was his output with the ball that wasn't as good as we've come to expect.

Still need to try wv1, how is it?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The football has come on leaps and bounds since early season and it was quite easily another game that we could have given someone another hammering ( Orient and Brentford got off lightly ). Dicko looked strong on the ball but didn't quite hit it off with Evans I thought. Early days though.

At times we over complicate but we always look to put in an early direct ball in behind and we just have to punish them. Bristol never at it and not much really to report. Very comfortable victory, Henry and Jacobs never quite at it and knocked off the ball easily. Crap pitch but Price and McDonald kept us ticking over. Batth the pick of the defence, Ricketts got forward well but we lack discipline at times and better teams will put the ball in the net. Stearman played like somebody nearly out of contract who couldn't give a $$$$.

McDonald - MoM by a mile.

Ref - Shocker.

Sounds like a pretty comfortable, routine win which is pleasing. Also it took Dicko just 10 minutes to become our first striker other than Griffiths to score since November 2nd which is a very good sign. We have a great chance to go and win the next 4 games now too - Oldham (a) Bradford (h) Stevenage (a) and Notts County (h). Obviously it won't be easy but it's a chance we need to take to get ourselves back in that top 2 and go into the away game at Brentford on a great run and with a chance to hopefully topple them.

Edit: Although saying that Brentford have an extra game than us before we play them so will go into it having played one more.

Back