• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-4 Man Utd: Verdict Thread

On one hand, we are pretty horrible defensively, I’m very unsure on the coaching, i think we lack quality in key positions and think we are over-performing points wise…

On the other, they don’t give up, we create a lot more than we have in years and our points tally is way above what I expected at this stage

Swings and roundabouts

I also thought it was a terrible decision for our penalty. Not dissimilar to the Newcastle/Sheff Utd one against us.

Nice to get a crap decision in our favour for once but dreadful from the ref

We could all see the 11 was wrong.

Unfortunately GO fell into the trap of someone looked good against some chumps and they kept their spot.
Hopefully another learning moment for GO.
Same team played well against Brighton too, not sure that's fair.

Plus RAN had a knee strap on, everyone can keep ignoring that if they want, but he did.

Throw it in with Fulham as a game where O'Neils naivety/inexperience has undermined us.

Going with our best team probably wins us that. Doc looked acceptable against lower league shite who are closer to Blues in 20th than Ipswich in 2nd. You cannot carry that against a top 7 side even if they're way below previous standards.

O'Neil seems to have learnt from other things fairly quickly so hopefully he does here too.

We were always gonna have these managerial brainfarts while Gaz learns on the job, it's upto O'Neil to decide what kind of leader he is. There's no way Klopp will pick Bradley regardless of last night if TAA is ready to go for example.

Still some positives to take; resilience, scored 3, kept going. Under Lage or Stroputuegui that ends up an absolute drubbing.

Onto the next.

Unfair to put all of it on Kilman. Several of our first choice players were poor. Toti all over the place first half. Lemina not his usual self. Cunha innefective. Add to that Doherty and Bellegarde who shouldnt even be first choice and therein lies the problem.
Having said that it was a weird game.
Rashford started electric and hardly touched the ball after that. Same with Luke Shaw.

Unfair to put all of it on Kilman. Several of our first choice players were poor.
They were but when you've just made it 3-3 with a minute or two left, don't get dragged out of your own box 30-40 yards away from goal when you've got everyone back.... and then get skinned.

Horrific defending all game. Great spirit second half. Wrong team from the start.
If Hugo isn't better than Doc, we might as well sell him.
Penalty, soft as shit, shouldn't ever be a penalty but we've had 3 given against us like that this season so fuck em.

Gutted but so so prouder than if it had petered out at 0-2 or 1-3. This team is never done and I knew there was always more to come.

If you’re not going to qualify for Europe (although I still hold onto distant hope) and you’re not going to go down, all you can ask from top flight football is for thrills on a match-by-match basis. We got them tonight. You’ll always have how you felt after the equaliser.

They were but when you've just made it 3-3 with a minute or two left, don't get dragged out of your own box 30-40 yards away from goal when you've got everyone back.... and then get skinned.
Everyone in front of him had been chasing the ball like a pack of stray dogs before he got involved, he made a bad decision to dive in like that but a central midfielder shouldn't get a chance to run at your centre half as easily as Mainoo did.

Last edited:
Cant disagree, but it was a weird game all round, no organised shape or usual caginess or caution. Two sides who dont have that much to lose or gain. Weird.

Picked the wrong team against Albion and got away with it. Did same thing tonight and bang, should have been four or five at HT, at least. Just play your best players. RAN comes on and we were instantly threatening, literally within 30 seconds of him coming on the dynamic of the game shifted. Great game in the end though.

Next.

Just an innocent question as I didn't SEE the game, If we'd have had a shit hot #9 playing would the score have been any different?
Were there any chances created, but missed for the lack of a good 9?

Second half papered over the massive cracks of the first half when we could have been 4/5 nil down and has to be on the shoulders of the coach for starting Doherty over Ait Nouri an absolute disgrace of a footballer.
He better not pick him again as I’ll never be anywhere near the ‘Gary ONeil’s barmy army’ if he does.

Back