• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 Bristol City 2 Boxing Day verdict thread

I too would Luke to see a quality CM (CB and striker goes without saying) but doubt we will go for one, there aren't many about and I think Lambert probably thinks we're ok for now with what we have for where we are. After CB and striker, FB is our biggest concern, our best options currently are a poor right back or out form/confidence young CB at left back and a CM at right back

When Graham comes back would there be any mileage in Cav/Costa playing the 10 role?

This. I want Lambert to stop talking Saunders-esque crap. It looks like he's bombed him out along with Tex and I wish they'd just be honest and say the pair are leaving, it isn't like the ACON has just been planted into the schedule, this was known all season.

I would say we've seen the last of Saiss and Tex in a Wolves shirt.

Not sure we have seen the last of Saiss but from what Lambert has been saying about Price being able to press i think that is what he is looking for and thinks Saiss can't do it. It's a shame because he has real quality but maybe it's just a case of him adapting a bit more and towards the end of the season he will be back in the team ready for next year.

Not sure we have seen the last of Saiss but from what Lambert has been saying about Price being able to press i think that is what he is looking for and thinks Saiss can't do it. It's a shame because he has real quality but maybe it's just a case of him adapting a bit more and towards the end of the season he will be back in the team ready for next year.

The cynic in me is thinking there is already a move lined up for Saiss which is why he isn't being risked.

The question isn't about Stearman's clearance as when he makes contact the ball is already going away from goal - it is Doherty's header that is the issue.

That's what I thought watching it live. But it's clear it hits Doherty in play rather than over the line.

When Graham comes back would there be any mileage in Cav/Costa playing the 10 role?

I don't think we can count on Graham at all this season, I know he'll be back relatively soon but it may take the rest of the season to get back up to speed - look at Dicko for example.

The question isn't about Stearman's clearance as when he makes contact the ball is already going away from goal - it is Doherty's header that is the issue.

Indeed, and looking at the position of the ball when Stearman cleared it would suggest it was over the line when Doherty headed it. Almost impossible to be certain either way.

That's what I thought watching it live. But it's clear it hits Doherty in play rather than over the line.

it could still have spun back from Doherty's head which as you say is definitely in front. anyway, great double clearance and win. just need to keep picking up points and see what we do in the market. be disappointed if saiss isn't in our longer term plans.

Spot on TSB, from yesterday's first goal if you were nit picking I think both Doherty (who lost the ball) and Price (who got rolled going for the ball) were at fault but Abraham's movement and touch were brilliant and deserve the plaudits he gets. Pity our brilliant DoF can't get loan signing like him in instead of Grant 'great player' Holt.

I've looked again at the first Bristol City goal. Superb through pass bisecting our two defenders and a great finish by Abrahams.

If we had scored this goal, everyone would be raving. So why is it that we crucify our defenders when we concede it ?

I've looked again at the first Bristol City goal. Superb through pass bisecting our two defenders and a great finish by Abrahams.

If we had scored this goal, everyone would be raving. So why is it that we crucify our defenders when we concede it ?
I don't disagree with the praise for Abrahams, but fans will criticise when the team should do better. And obviously on here we'll be looking at our players' roles in goals we score and concede.

Look at Costa's goal - tremendous strike but if that was against us we'd be spitting feathers about the space he was given.

Both viewpoints are valid!

Said at the time the pass and touch were quality. It's really harsh to have a go at our defence on that goal.

Plenty other things to have a go at them for though.

I really wish Batth's attempt for an overhead kick at a corner had been successful...would have been the final crazy act of 2016.

That would be because it's awful defending. Not taking away anything from the touch and finish from Abraham but the defending and the build up play by us prior to losing the ball was not anywhere near the standard required.

Yeah and also fans seem to be looking for anything to blame on Batth at the moment. I really hope they proof read his programme notes carefully before publishing them. Heaven help him if there's a typo in one of them.

The cynic in me is thinking there is already a move lined up for Saiss which is why he isn't being risked.

I hope this isn't true. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Yeah and also fans seem to be looking for anything to blame on Batth at the moment. I really hope they proof read his programme notes carefully before publishing them. Heaven help him if there's a typo in one of them.

Not sure this is true to be honest, he's not been very good this season. He was at fault in some way for both goals yesterday no matter how you look at it and at the moment is being outperformed by Stearman who looks a much better defender and footballer in general right now. He's also been at fault for a lot of goals this season and players like Iorfa have suffered when doing this by losing their place but Danny seems to be invincible.

I'm always loath to comment directly on games I didn't go to, but from the highlights I have seen Batth should do better on both goals and also gets done in the air for the last minute chance. I think to suggest there is some sort of witch-hunt fails to acknowledge how really poor he has been this year. I have made clear my feelings on the booing against Sheff Wednesday, but if Williamson gets fit or we sign another centre half he needs to be the player dropped.

Not sure this is true to be honest, he's not been very good this season. He was at fault in some way for both goals yesterday no matter how you look at it and at the moment is being outperformed by Stearman who looks a much better defender and footballer in general right now. He's also been at fault for a lot of goals this season and players like Iorfa have suffered when doing this by losing their place but Danny seems to be invincible.
The matchday threads and tweets during every game suggest otherwise.

The matchday threads and tweets during every game suggest otherwise.

I couldn't tell you what is said on both of those during the majority of games so you will have to fill me in, i would also say most of those comments will come from those that haven't seen the game so generally aren't worth looking at unless they have seen what has actually happened. From those that see us regularly i would say a lot of fans do not think Danny is good enough and his performances this season have backed that up. Like i said he's been at fault far too many times yet it's always his partner that seems to be the one who suffers.

I think everyone would love it if the local lad who is captain was good enough but at the moment he really isn't in any area of his game.

Back