• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 Bristol City 2 Boxing Day verdict thread

Quite right CM - start with a top gk who commands the box and is vocal - makes the defenders job a lot easier.

Ikeme isn't very good at all (never has been really) but as he's mostly borderline competent at this level, they won't look to do anything with that position this window. Longer term he needs to go because he isn't improving from here.

+1 to Wilf Wolf. Batth is just hopelessly un-agile (if that's a word). He's the archetypal Dean Saunders centre half: head it away all day but with the turning circle of the QE2. And the bloody stupid baffled expression on his face every time he fucks up really irks me

TBF he's not that good at heading, half the time they go straight up in the air or fall about 6 feet in front of him. Overall he's okay this level, just in a bad run of form and low on confidence, also the rest of defence is the same which is why we're currently so poor

TBF he's not that good at heading, half the time they go straight up in the air or fall about 6 feet in front of him. Overall he's okay this level, just in a bad run of form and low on confidence, also the rest of defence is the same which is why we're currently so poor
Yeah I agree. He's fine at this level and his current poor form isn't an accurate indication of his overall ability.

Problem is he has largely been in pretty bad form for over twelve months now, when we knew previously this was probably his limit. I think some of the frustration is that it feels like he has got himself in a position where the manager isn't going to drop him regardless.

Whenever I've seen Batth, I always get the impression he can only deal with play in a two dimensional way. He can only deal with what is in front of him, forget the sides and what's behind. He's not improved in three years. He won't improve less there is someone alongside him, directing him and pulling the strings. I don't see that being anyone we have on the books at the moment. Personally I'd prefer to see a 3-5-2 formation. But you'd need 3 intelligent mobile players at the back to play that formation, we'd struggle to field one as it is.

Never over the line.

It looks over when Doherty heads it and that's how I saw it at the game from the NB, but TV angle shows that aspect wasn't.

Edwards tried to save it, good job it didn't hit his hand!

Back