• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3 - Sheff Weds 0 another step on the path verdict thread

Parkins left foot

'Quirk's Gay Game Winner'
Reaction score
A decent win - no closer, but we are still in the mix.

Afobe is class & Henry has more to give than we have seen - we need to use him more

Just five points between Norwich in fourth and us. When we beat Derby then we are really in there to be counted.

Norwich have just equalised at the death!

A really good win with a couple of excellent goals, pity Brentford didn't lose but we still have to play Ipswich so its all still on, still think we're fighting for 6th, although if we can beat Derby Friday they will start to get the jitters

Have we left it too late? I remember thinking something similar last year when it felt like we would never run Brentford and Orient down, but today is a good result, would easily have taken 7 points from Brighton, Wednesday and Derby so lets see if we make it to that, from what I read elsewhere they will still be without Martin and Bent too?

A really good win with a couple of excellent goals, pity Brentford didn't lose but we still have to play Ipswich so its all still on, still think we're fighting for 6th, although if we can beat Derby Friday they will start to get the jitters

The table suggests that fourth to eighth is wide open.

Have we left it too late? I remember thinking something similar last year when it felt like we would never run Brentford and Orient down, but today is a good result, would easily have taken 7 points from Brighton, Wednesday and Derby so lets see if we make it to that, from what I read elsewhere they will still be without Martin and Bent too?

I heard that Bent & Martin would be back for friday?...hope not..Martin anyways.

Very frustrating not to be gaining places now we're scoring goals, but slips against the teams at the bottom are just killing us...

Well done Mr Parkin, your usual good stuff much appreciated by those flung far and wide.... talking of which, anyone seen Pavlos recently?

According to BBC we had 12 shots to 20, but 7 on target to 3 - have no problem giving up the numbers if the opposition is that inaccurate

great threepoints. Keep beating whats in front of us and we will be there.

Martin has an outside chance for Friday, Bent and Thorne supposed to be back. They are wobbling, need to go at them

Martin has an outside chance for Friday, Bent and Thorne supposed to be back. They are wobbling, need to go at them

Agreed. Derby are falling away from the automatic places. The same attacking intentions as tonight will test them. Plus we owe them for that result earlier in the season.

Afobe is a class signing for this season - not sure that I am fussed about others, just glad we have got him locked in for a bit

Afobe is a class signing for this season - not sure that I am fussed about others, just glad we have got him locked in for a bit

brilliant talent and our style suits him really well. Hate to say it but he might turn out to be the best striker we have signed since Bully. He has a grewat all round game and a strikers natural finish. Far to good for the championship on his showings so far. Lets hope he can take us up to show case those skills for us on the right stage. With him he gives us that little extra we were missing.

Great result and very clinical finishing second half, big shout to Kuszack with that worldie save 5 minutes before half time I think you'll struggle to see a better save for a long time.
Thought our penalty looked a bit soft if I'm honest.

Missed the game tonight but my old man's summation was that Sheffield had the midfield but we had the killer touch.

A hugely entertaining evening.

We scored some superb goals, and restricted Wednesday to only a couple of chances (more of one of those in a second). Atmosphere was excellent and the crowd even though disappointing in number was loud and right behind the lads.

Some ratings and thoughts:

Kuszcak - pretty good tonight. Solid against crosses that Wednesday put in and pulled off one of the best saves I have seen in a long time from the header in the first half. A tremendous stop that may have made all the difference as that would have been an undeserved equaliser. 7 normally, but I am going to award an 8 simply because that save was so good.

Golbourne - welcome back Scott. Covered everything well at the back and looked to get forward and offer an outlet. Impressive. A good solid 7

Batth and Stearman. Both gave excellent performances I felt. The forwards got little change from either. I hope Stearman's injury isn't too serious, and the fact Wednesday tried to take the attacking throw from him having to kick it out was the only sour note. I think they are both worthy of 7 each as well.

Doherty - As good a performance as I have seen him give in a Wolves shirt. Well done indeed Matt. Now go and do it again! Marshalled his side of the defence well, made excellent tackles, looked completely in control. Thumbs up. 7.5

Van La Parra. Oh Rajiv. Fantastic at times in the first half, impossible to live with and I thought we were going to get a masterclass. Then that ten minutes he lasted in the second half was frankly awful. His reaction to getting substituted is maybe understandable, but I would be surprised if he starts on Friday because of it. 5 (and it could and should have been much more)

Price - doing a job quietly and a good bustling performance as well. 7

KMac - fabulous passing ability and ran the show for the majority of the game despite getting some fairly heavy treatment from his markers. One of the best passers of a ball in this division for me. 8

Sako - Ace. At times. Brilliant powerful runs, pulling the defence all over the shop. Trying to score from his own half was cheeky and would have been genius had it been successful. I love watching him play when he is on song. 7.5

Dicko - Worked his socks off and it was clear the team were desperate to try and get him in for a goal. Some of the runs he made were top drawer. 7

Afobe - how the fucking fuck did he cost £2m?? Superb player and the finish for the second was a thing of absolute beauty. MOTM 8.5

Subs:

Henry - wonderful, wonderful goal. Worked very hard as well. Fine performance 7.5
Edwards - not really much more than a cameo but did nothing wrong at all so a rating of 7 seems fair
Ebanks-Landell - came on for the stricken Stearman and the defence didn't look any weaker at all so again a 7

Lots of high marks there, but it is very hard to mark anyone down on a good night for Wolves. Well played lads. Same again Friday and then lets see where we are after the weekend.

Just got back home.

That was, in some ways a bit strange.
Wednesday didn't really offer much in attack to be honest. Never felt worried by them all game. Suspect they wanted to stop us scoring more than anything.
As a result, we had the better share of a first half, yet didn't quite look like we got into top gear. We had the majority of possession, the better chances, yet I didn't feel like we'd completely dominated them. The penalty came from a phenomenal piece of work by Dicko to win a free ball, get to the box, avoid injury by what looked to me the first more dangerous challenge, then won a penalty from what I thought was a weaker challenge.
Sako duly obliges from the spot.
Wednesday didn't really respond, one phenomenal save from Kusczcak aside. Excellent chances created for MacDonald and Price. Neither taken. Dicko, VlP & Sako having a field day, yet not quite taking our chances. Sako's shot blocked by either Afobe or a defender, Dicko with a great attempt for the far corner only just kept out by Federici.

Half time. Whilst I couldn't see wednesday scoring, I didn't feel secure. 3-0 wouldn't have overly flattered us, but we hadn't quite dominated or finished the game off.
Wednesday come out like a rocket second half. Three chances, one either side of each post, not really threatening, and one header they really should've scored from. Shit-Zlatan missed their only real chance.
Henry for VlP, who started the second half poorly breaks up the play. We recompose a bit. First foray into their half is a brilliant goal with a move started in our right back area. Passes down the flank & through midfield lead to a superb cross and an amazing finish from Afobe. Cannot wait to see that on tv.
Henry bouyed by the crowd impacts on the game more. A bizarre one two with one of wednesdays men in our own box, winning a few challenges and coming away with the ball, driving us forward.
The rest of the team respond, and we start pushing back a bit. Henry cuts in from the right, past 2, 3, then hits a superb left footer you know is net bound.

From then, it's a case of protecting the clean sheet. Had we gone for it, I believe we could have got one, even two more. A final surge with a cross just evading us meaning we settled for 3-0.

At times, we moved the ball really well, and you could see a cracking attacking intent, looking to create chances. It didn't always work, was sometimes unnecessary (Dicko's flick first half when in loads of space for example) and occasionally playing the ball around too close to each other & too close to our area, a better team may have punished us or taken one of those chances. But tonight showed we have potential. Get behind the team and they can respond with a very positive performance. We potentially have another gear and should definitely be looking upwards, even if not all the results went our way.

Back