• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 4-2 Millwall: The Sako Send-off Verdict Thread

Same old story, today. Four cracking goals and two daft goals conceded. We miss out on goal difference. That is something that Kenny will have to sort out before August. Nice finish to the season, but not quite good enough for what was required. Up The Wolves!

Missed out by just 4 goals...
Think of how many 'daft/stupid/careless goals we've conceded, or think how many times we hit it over the bar against post wide when it was easier to score and all of that... or 2 from each...

Makes you want to cry...

Then you think of Blackpool and Birmingham.... Grrrrr!

Your entitled to wanting to see wolves winning more than they lose in the Chmapionship, but I think the majority of Wolves fans want to Wolves being the best they can be and unfortunately that may mean losing a few in the PL

I've long been happy to accept that the majority don't share my point of view.

We made a pretty good fist of it, but you're left with a feeling of 'what if'? I think aside from the top 8, the quality in the division was pretty dreadful (which accounts for the high points total), and there were times when I thought we were the best footballing side in the division, and there were times when I thought 'what the hell'? In Sako, Dicko and Afobe we had the 3 best forward players outside the PL, but we ultimately didn't make it count, unfortunately. We crapped the bed too many times against the poorer teams and that cost us. Jackett has done well, but he has also made plenty of mistakes. We should have been good enough to make the playoffs, but we didn't and harsh as it may sound to those who don't receive criticism of the team or manager very well, that is Jackett's responsibility. I'd still take him as a manager over some of the others we've had recently all day every day, but he has to improve.

Brentford got a net 6 points from the 85th minute onwards, we got 2, they seemed to score a lot of crucial goals for draws in the last few minutes which has scraped them in

We made a pretty good fist of it, but you're left with a feeling of 'what if'? I think aside from the top 8, the quality in the division was pretty dreadful (which accounts for the high points total), and there were times when I thought we were the best footballing side in the division, and there were times when I thought 'what the hell'? In Sako, Dicko and Afobe we had the 3 best forward players outside the PL, but we ultimately didn't make it count, unfortunately. We crapped the bed too many times against the poorer teams and that cost us. Jackett has done well, but he has also made plenty of mistakes. We should have been good enough to make the playoffs, but we didn't and harsh as it may sound to those who don't receive criticism of the team or manager very well, that is Jackett's responsibility. I'd still take him as a manager over some of the others we've had recently all day every day, but he has to improve.

A much more balanced review than your comments in the match thread and I agree with most of it. I'd apportion a little bit more blame away from Kenny Jackett and more onto the 'leaders' of this young team. We have a lot of youngsters but when it counted it was the old heads and leaders who went missing vs Boro, Blues, Ipswich etc.

I would've been happy with this points total at the start of the season but as you say this division is almost completely devoid of true quality and we've let ourselves down overall.

The overall quality of the division won't drastically change before August, however, no matter who comes down. We have a squad I really like, and it has an extra year of experience now, which can only be a plus. We are likely to lose Sako, but I'm hopeful we can find a decent replacement. We've also gained Afobe in recent months, and I'm really looking forward to what he can achieve in a full season alongside Dicko.

Obviously gutting to miss out on GD alone, but all clubs have those "what if" moments throughout the season, so I'm avoiding thinking about throwing away a 3-0 lead at Millwall, etc. All clubs drop points.

Overall so proud of KJ and the players for the way we've bounced back over the last two seasons, and to still be in with a shot of promotion going into the last ten minutes of the season (though I'm not going to lie, I'm mildly irked that Brentford have out-performed us, hah!). We aren't perfect, aren't the finished article, etc, etc, but I think there are reasons to be genuinely positive about what we can achieve next time out.

Can anyone who went to the game confirm if Sako did anything out of the ordinary after the match? Applauding the fans for longer than usual, etc?

Can anyone who went to the game confirm if Sako did anything out of the ordinary after the match? Applauding the fans for longer than usual, etc?

Text from Darlo saying Bakary was in tears at the end and walked around the pitch with Nouha applauding the fans.

Gah. What a lad. True class act.

Sako and Dicko did a lap of applause before they went in and came back out with the team, Sako was crying and throw his shirt into the south bank before dancing with dicko to the south bank singing. im pretty sure hes gone lol

FFS that pic. :(

Absolutely devastated.

Sako did a solo (until Nouha ran over to hug him) lap of honour, he was in floods of tears and it will be a real shame to see him pull on a different shirt, especially as I don't think he wants to go but needs to go for his career.

Sako did a solo (until Nouha ran over to hug him) lap of honour, he was in floods of tears and it will be a real shame to see him pull on a different shirt, especially as I don't think he wants to go but needs to go for his career.

He really does. There's no doubt he would have stayed should we have gone up. Clearly cares a lot for the club. Hope he goes somewhere that appreciates him.

Hope he ends up somewhere like Swansea who play good football and have another Frenchie for him to pal around with (Gomis).

Really enjoyed the game and an emotional send off for Sako... Thank you for your contribution and commitment, enjoy the Premier League and we'll see you again soon.
Feel a little flat travelling home with lots of if onlys to consider but this team will be all the stronger for the experience and more able to cope with things next season (I hope)

He really does. There's no doubt he would have stayed should we have gone up. Clearly cares a lot for the club. Hope he goes somewhere that appreciates him.

I think the sad thing for him is that he won't be loved anywhere near thend love from Molineux, which I think he knows. He'll do ok in the prem but wherever he ends up he will lose a very special fan to player relationship.

Back