• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 4 Fulham 4 - Verdict Thread

Irrespective of how poor our defence is, if we actually had a forward who knew where the goal was we would not be in the predicament we are. At this moment in time, Dicko could not hit a cows backside with a banjo, and please no one say it is because he is coming back from injury. He has been back long enough, is up to full fitness, and has been very poor. Surely it is not beyond the means of a football club like Wolves to have a forward who can actually score a goal. Thank goodness we have defenders who can score, even if they can't defend...

Dicko's chance WAS difficult. He had to do a complete 180 whilst shooting at the same time. Do-able on Pro Evo but not in real life unfortunately. He still doesn't look his old self though. He used to give defenders a torrid time but now he seems a bit slow to anticipate or challenge for stuff. Bod should definitely replace him in the next game.

Burgoyne had a reasonable game.Dodgy kicking which seem to sand wedge in the air instead of getting distance but great reaction save in the first half when Aluko (I think) should have scored, and his double save. Definitely should have done better just before their goal. They had a header which he seemed to flap at when it was straight at him, and it bounced off him and out. Which led to their corner they scored from.

Dicko definitely should've scored, the angle isn't that tight,he probably could've even took a touch to turn himself around while the keeper was floundering.

Wow, controversial from Frank.....we really do need an option up front till Dicko and Bod get their mojo back

Am I right in assuming we went to a 4-4-2 after saiss was subbed?

Stunning goal from Cav, brilliant finish from Edwards too.

Yeah we did, wouldn't work in any normal type of game though. We just threw bodies forward and Fulham weren't as clinical in the second half as in the first or the game would have been well out of sight before we got the 2nd.

Burgoyne had a reasonable game.Dodgy kicking which seem to sand wedge in the air instead of getting distance

See im with Jagginman with regards to Burgoyne's kicking.
Yeah 1st half it wasnt that great but second half he actually angled his kicks and unlike Ikeme's they actually went to our players.
If theres something i hate its when a goalie is about to kick the ball and every player is either on the left or right of the pitch and the ball is just launched to no one in paticular.
Burgoyne saw Cav out on his own on the left and kick a few measured balls to him and then he tried it to costa on the right.....made a change for me.

I think we've got to persevere with dicko. We know he's a proven goalscorer. Quite frankly theres no one else. Have to hope he gets a goal and his belief comes back.
A question for those who go regularly:
Who would you rate in order first to last as a defender from Hause, Batth Iorfa, Stearman, and EEL?
I always thought EEL looked the most promising whenever I've seen them, (but that's not been very often).

I think we've got to persevere with dicko. We know he's a proven goalscorer. Quite frankly theres no one else. Have to hope he gets a goal and his belief comes back.
A question for those who go regularly:
Who would you rate in order first to last as a defender from Hause, Batth Iorfa, Stearman, and EEL?
I always thought EEL looked the most promising whenever I've seen them, (but that's not been very often).

Trouble is, they are hit and miss week after week.
Iorfa looked back to his best last week, god awful this week.
Sometimes Hause looks composed and the best of the bunch but then he makes such rudimentary errors.
Batth always had a mistake in him but he headed the ball clear umpteen times today.
Doherty was fucking way out of position today on multiple occasions but offers that attacking threat we dont get with midifeld players!
Ive never thought EEL was any better than Hause to be honest and we know what we get with Stearman.

About sums it up from what I've seen. I think any of them could be good with a reliable steadying player (maybe two) marshalling them. And an experienced keeper behind them.

Only had a few minutes to check on things earlier, every time I refreshed the thread the score changed ha. Quite exciting in the moment.

Right i said i would do a more in depth review so here goes.

Burgoyne - Looked nervous in the first half but seemed to settle in the second but needs to command his box more which will come with experience. Had no chance with the goal and as most have seen he made a great double save at 3-1.

Iorfa - Seems to either not trust Batth or still thinks he's playing centre back at various points in the game. Gave Fulham acres of room down their left because he was tucked in so often and then got caught under the ball for Ayite's first goal. Was better second half when we just attacked but inconsistent at the moment with one half decent game and then one poor game.

Batth - Still never good enough and never will be, countless times he just gives the opposition the ball back when a pass to a team mate is no but he just doesn't look. Dived in stupidly on Martin to give the free kick away for Cairney's wonder goal. Did well a few times second half to be fair to him when he and Hause were left exposed.

Hause - He started really well and he's so much better in the air than Batth. Won numerous battles with Martin who then decided to move over to Batth. Scored with a back post header which the keeper really should have saved but got us of to a good start. Got sloppier on the ball as the game went on but mopped up well in the second half when at times he and Batth were left as the last 2 defenders.

Doherty - He really can't defend but despite all of his flaws he is actually really good going forward when he plays like he did in the second half. He had a shot cleared off the line, scored one and then played a fantastic ball through for Cavaleiro. Honestly believe he could play central midfield and be a much better player.

Saiss - Like a one man midfield again in the first half as Coady and Edwards ran around chasing McDonald, Johansen and Cairney's shadows. Calm on the ball and looked to pass the ball and get us to control it but didn't have any help. Not many fans agreed with taking him off as Coady was very poor but we got a point after it so can't really complain too much.

Coady - He's just not very good. I get that he runs around a lot but he does it aimlessly and closes down far too often when there is no need and leaves so much space behind him. Struggles to control the football well enough to do what he wants to do a lot of the time also. Really shouldn't be in the side and lost Johansen for their first goal.

Edwards - Was anonymous in the first half as Fulham controlled the game and passed the ball around us with ease a lot of the time but did come into the game more after half time. Was still very poor on the ball and 3 or 4 times had chances to play Dicko, Costa and Cav in but his technique let him down. However after all that he came up with the 4th goal that really should have won us the game with an excellent finish so at least he does contribute.

Costa - Didn't have his best game but he is a threat and can always cause problems. So often he is available and makes a good run but we don't look forward early enough and so it's wasted. Worked hard tracking back today though and just has to play.

Cavaleiro - Could tell he was on it from the start as he won the ball back several times and worked really hard for his side although if you ask Tim II then he was at fault for Fulham's first 2 goals as Fredericks crossed both balls. Should have scored in the first half but more than made up for it in the second half with a fantastic finish and also put in a few excellent crosses. I genuinely believe he is our best player and could play in the Premier League quite easily with better players around him.

Dicko - Worked really hard but the quality is just not there anymore. Should have scored with the chance at 1-0 no matter how tough any one says it was, a striker at this level should bag from there. He needs to find that sharpness back quickly or i'm not sure he ever will as he just seems reactive at the minute and that leaves him a yard behind where he was before his injury and that's the difference. Probably got 2 assists though as his 2 fluffed effots led to Doherty's and Edwards' goals.

Subs

Bodvarsson - He did ok but nothing more than that, he did give more of a presence upfront and that gave others more room. Think it was him that got beat at the back post for the equaliser at the end.

Price and Teix - Didn't have that long to make an impact but both tried hard, Teix put in a couple of good corners and Price did make one excellent tackle.

It was a crazy game to be honest and at 3-1 i thought we had no chance but then at 4-3 we really should have held on but it just summed up the team, squad and lack of real quality off and on the ball to concede like we did in stoppage time. The lack of quality in midfield really told in the first half as Fulham's midfield 3 played around us with ease at times but we got back in to the game by playing high tempo attacking football and getting the ball to Costa and Cavaleiro with the 2 full backs supporting. That way of playing isn't sustainable and would leave us far too open so i'm still waiting for Lambert to stamp an way of playing still and move away from just pure effort to that with quality (not playing Coady etc)

If theres something i hate its when a goalie is about to kick the ball and every player is either on the left or right of the pitch and the ball is just launched to no one in paticular.

It's what is known as halving the pitch. They try and fit players into one quadrant of the pitch to reduce the chances of quick counters and being outnumbered on the second ball. The idea is to knock it into the big man and win flicks running off the back of defenders or to win the second ball in midfield.

I'm not much of a fan but I can see why managers do it.

I think your last sentence about Cav and Costa being picked out is telling for me as that's what a good keeper should be doing as it automatically puts you in possession rather than transition.

On the verdict, I'm glad we scored 4 goals but most of all I'm glad we got entertained at Molineux, it's been too long and that's what football is all about for me,

Just watched the highlights, what is Price doing for the 4th goal?

Couple of excellent goals from Fulham but woeful defending on all of em, but at least we gave it a go second half and managed a come back.

Right i said i would do a more in depth review so here goes.

Burgoyne - Looked nervous in the first half but seemed to settle in the second but needs to command his box more which will come with experience. Had no chance with the goal and as most have seen he made a great double save at 3-1.

Iorfa - Seems to either not trust Batth or still thinks he's playing centre back at various points in the game. Gave Fulham acres of room down their left because he was tucked in so often and then got caught under the ball for Ayite's first goal. Was better second half when we just attacked but inconsistent at the moment with one half decent game and then one poor game.

Batth - Still never good enough and never will be, countless times he just gives the opposition the ball back when a pass to a team mate is no but he just doesn't look. Dived in stupidly on Martin to give the free kick away for Cairney's wonder goal. Did well a few times second half to be fair to him when he and Hause were left exposed.

Hause - He started really well and he's so much better in the air than Batth. Won numerous battles with Martin who then decided to move over to Batth. Scored with a back post header which the keeper really should have saved but got us of to a good start. Got sloppier on the ball as the game went on but mopped up well in the second half when at times he and Batth were left as the last 2 defenders.

Doherty - He really can't defend but despite all of his flaws he is actually really good going forward when he plays like he did in the second half. He had a shot cleared off the line, scored one and then played a fantastic ball through for Cavaleiro. Honestly believe he could play central midfield and be a much better player.

Saiss - Like a one man midfield again in the first half as Coady and Edwards ran around chasing McDonald, Johansen and Cairney's shadows. Calm on the ball and looked to pass the ball and get us to control it but didn't have any help. Not many fans agreed with taking him off as Coady was very poor but we got a point after it so can't really complain too much.

Coady - He's just not very good. I get that he runs around a lot but he does it aimlessly and closes down far too often when there is no need and leaves so much space behind him. Struggles to control the football well enough to do what he wants to do a lot of the time also. Really shouldn't be in the side and lost Johansen for their first goal.

Edwards - Was anonymous in the first half as Fulham controlled the game and passed the ball around us with ease a lot of the time but did come into the game more after half time. Was still very poor on the ball and 3 or 4 times had chances to play Dicko, Costa and Cav in but his technique let him down. However after all that he came up with the 4th goal that really should have won us the game with an excellent finish so at least he does contribute.

Costa - Didn't have his best game but he is a threat and can always cause problems. So often he is available and makes a good run but we don't look forward early enough and so it's wasted. Worked hard tracking back today though and just has to play.

Cavaleiro - Could tell he was on it from the start as he won the ball back several times and worked really hard for his side although if you ask Tim II then he was at fault for Fulham's first 2 goals as Fredericks crossed both balls. Should have scored in the first half but more than made up for it in the second half with a fantastic finish and also put in a few excellent crosses. I genuinely believe he is our best player and could play in the Premier League quite easily with better players around him.

Dicko - Worked really hard but the quality is just not there anymore. Should have scored with the chance at 1-0 no matter how tough any one says it was, a striker at this level should bag from there. He needs to find that sharpness back quickly or i'm not sure he ever will as he just seems reactive at the minute and that leaves him a yard behind where he was before his injury and that's the difference. Probably got 2 assists though as his 2 fluffed effots led to Doherty's and Edwards' goals.

Subs

Bodvarsson - He did ok but nothing more than that, he did give more of a presence upfront and that gave others more room. Think it was him that got beat at the back post for the equaliser at the end.

Price and Teix - Didn't have that long to make an impact but both tried hard, Teix put in a couple of good corners and Price did make one excellent tackle.

It was a crazy game to be honest and at 3-1 i thought we had no chance but then at 4-3 we really should have held on but it just summed up the team, squad and lack of real quality off and on the ball to concede like we did in stoppage time. The lack of quality in midfield really told in the first half as Fulham's midfield 3 played around us with ease at times but we got back in to the game by playing high tempo attacking football and getting the ball to Costa and Cavaleiro with the 2 full backs supporting. That way of playing isn't sustainable and would leave us far too open so i'm still waiting for Lambert to stamp an way of playing still and move away from just pure effort to that with quality (not playing Coady etc)

Thanks for that Slink

I am stunned that people are writing off Dicko so quickly. Pretty poor in my opinion for someone who has served us very well and is just getting back to full sharpness. I'd be more concerned if he wasn't getting chances to score but fact is he is, as he always has done up top on his own. Goals will come if we stick by him.

Also surprised people are lamenting lack of goals after a game we drew... 4-4....

Sounds like a thriller that I missed anyway! But also the same existing issues, midfield that struggle to retain possession, leaky defence...

A game that confirms what we all knew - front 3 are dangerous, midfield lack quality and defence is not good enough as a unit. I'm sure Lambert can see these things and has targets (and sales) in mind.
The match itself was fantastic entertainment and could easily have finished 7-7. Individually, I thought Burgoyne couldn't do much with the goals and made a fabulous double save. Didn't command his penalty area but he's 19 making his debut. Iorfa back to the poor form of a couple of weeks ago, Doherty got caught out of position defensively but is a good attacking outlet. Baath I thought did ok, he's not a playmaker but defended pretty well. Hause was ok mostly. Maybe it's the fullbacks positioning rather than the central defence that's most of the problem?
Midfield in 1st half was largely watching Fulhams midfield pass and move but managed to get in the game a little more when we upped the tempo 2nd half. Saiss looked the most controlled off the 3 but I can understand why he went off when we dropped to a midfield 2 as Coady and Edwards may lack his quality but they work hard to partly offset the reduction in numbers. Maybe there not as creative but with Cav (my MoM) and Costa there were quality attacking outlets. Great goal by Cav topped by Edwards. Dicko seems to have everything back in his game except finishing.
Overall there are signs of improvement but we shouldn't get carried away by the comeback. There are still some serious deficiencies, hopefully to be addressed in January.

Crazy game of football and 3 goals of real quality in the game the the other 5 were more down to two woeful defensive units. The defence would worry me in League 1 let alone at this level along with a midfield that allows games to past them by at times.
We need at least 5-6 players at least to challenge in the future and at least 2-3 in January to steer us clear of the drop.
On a real positive note great character shown to come back the way we did and whilst it was keystone cops in both defences at times it was great entertainment.
Fulham look very good coming forward and should have managed the game better at 3-1.

Back