• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Jack Scott. Seems weird he didn’t seem to be playing in youth cup games or recent 23s games - maybe he’s been injured?

Very young team we have put out

I'm guessing Sondergaard, Buur, Otasowie, Enzo and Campana are all with the first team then.

Jack Scott at RWB looks very decent, both going forward and defensively- nice on the ball. Same age as Matheson ?

Not a great goal to concede so late on

Lost, must be pretty much odds-on for relegation.

I'm guessing Sondergaard, Buur, Otasowie, Enzo and Campana are all with the first team then.

Richards too I reckon. Marques is injured

Played okay but soft goal to lose to and never really threatened the goal in the second half I felt.

Mixed messages this year on the U23s. On the one hand players being signed and the club saying how important it is.

On the other players being pulled out to be the 19th/20th man for the first team, going out on loan and a season that ultimately is going to end in relegation.6 17 years olds played today

Not saying anything in the second paragraph is the wrong thing to do, but playing weaker sides at that age next season isn't going to give them the best chance to be first team ready.

Mixed messages this year on the U23s. On the one hand players being signed and the club saying how important it is.

On the other players being pulled out to be the 19th/20th man for the first team, going out on loan and a season that ultimately is going to end in relegation.6 17 years olds played today

Not saying anything in the second paragraph is the wrong thing to do, but playing weaker sides at that age next season isn't going to give them the best chance to be first team ready.

It's a tricky one, I do think though that we view success at u23 level as playing first team football somewhere rather than doing well in the development leagues.

I guess the club view u23 games as a shop window for players to get loans out. If we look at how many loanees we have playing first team football were streets ahead of where we've been before

We could play an u23 side with all of our loanees and do very well in the leagues but the players development will be better progressed by getting that first team experience

Richards too I reckon. Marques is injured

Played okay but soft goal to lose to and never really threatened the goal in the second half I felt.

Confirmed by Timbo.

We're definitely going through a transition phase with our youth teams. We've got a very young group, so it's no real surprise to see us struggling a bit at this level right now.

It's a tricky one, I do think though that we view success at u23 level as playing first team football somewhere rather than doing well in the development leagues.

I guess the club view u23 games as a shop window for players to get loans out. If we look at how many loanees we have playing first team football were streets ahead of where we've been before

We could play an u23 side with all of our loanees and do very well in the leagues but the players development will be better progressed by getting that first team experience

Agree with this. Add the loanees to the lads in Marbella with the first team, and you have a very good U23 side. But Dion Sanderson is going to learn far more in two games for Cardiff than he'd learn in 20 games against Saints U23s.

The next step is to have a player out on loan in the Championship - like Mount or Harry Wilson recently - who's seen as one of the Champ's best players.

We're definitely going through a transition phase with our youth teams. We've got a very young group, so it's no real surprise to see us struggling a bit at this level right now.

Very much this. Probably still another window away from where Jeff Shi wants them. Still some players to shift out and areas to improve and I think this season was probably predicted and that is why the pressure was on Rob Edwards last season to get them up, so we only really take on step back during this phase of the revamp of the U23's.

Whoever is in charge of the U23's is going to know at various points in the season he is going to lose players to the 1st team. That is just how we are with Nuno and his squad size. Right now they can't cope with that and continuing the development of players such as Sanderson, BAS etc but it would be wrong not to send Sanderson out on loan. The one benefit we will get from this season is the likes of Campbell getting experience at a higher level at a very early stage

A lot of the current u23’s will be there next season, so good for them to be getting experience now, and they will still be young next year.

Sondergard
Mathieson (or jack Scott if he’s playing first team games)
Bueno
Otasawie
Marques
Richards
Cundle
Taylor
Campbell
Perry
Campana

I’m assuming Enzo will be with the first team there and that none of the loanees will drop back in. Ed Francis will be almost 21 next season, I’d imagine he’ll move on as he’ll want first team football.

There’s an absolutely huge amount of potential in that lot.

I'd rather see them all go out on loan that playing for the U23s. That first team experience is invaluable for the development.

Draw for the U23's in the PL Cup v Blues.

FT 2-2. At 2-1 Blues, Campbell was sent off so a decent result. Perry with our first goal and Super Dada with the 2nd (sounds like a decent goal as well)

Big game tonight for the U18s. Chelsea away in the FA Youth Cup. Winner plays Millwall in the quarter finals

Just missed a spot kick. Corbeneau tricked a delicate chip down the middle. Goalie stood still and caught it. A real shame as they're getting battered by a better team

So this is their 21-23 year olds vs our 18 year olds?

Back