• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Think we might keep Agboola but agree with the rest. Our U23 recruitment has been poor for a while and I can't work out why.

Think we might keep Agboola but agree with the rest. Our U23 recruitment has been poor for a while and I can't work out why.

Hard to tell the overall strategy. But then we've signed Matheson, Lonwijk and Marques who are very young but were never going to regularly play in the 18s. Leeds have spent a lot on players like Greenwood and Gelhardt for example whereas I think we have tried to go younger, cheap and less risk. Can't do that with the non-British players now though!

Agboola is a strange one, suddenly appeared again now so I assume had more injury issues

Good save by Moulden to stop it being 3-0

I wondered if he was Paul Moulden's son. He is.

His Dad was properly bigged up as a youth player, used to score literally hundreds of goals a season. Never quite happened for him, he was decent but never top level. Played for Blues in the Barry Fry era.

We don't really have a lot in the middle bar Cundle so everything is a bit direct.

Yeah Wan isn't going to ever be good enough and Hesketh is very young

Yeah Wan isn't going to ever be good enough and Hesketh is very young
As Vitinha isn't getting a game right now you'd thought 60 minutes here would do him some good especially against Leeds.

Looking at Corbeanu I can't understand why he hasn't had minutes up front/ out wide as he's clearly got the physicality for senior football.

As Vitinha isn't getting a game right now you'd thought 60 minutes here would do him some good especially against Leeds.

Looking at Corbeanu I can't understand why he hasn't had minutes up front/ out wide as he's clearly got the physicality for senior football.
Yeah agree on both points. Especially knowing Leeds would go strong. That said, it isn't generally Nuno's way to use the 23s in that way.

Corbeanu does have a bit of the Adama in that he likes to receive to feet too much mind.

Campbell nearly gets a goal back

Not sure how Richards kept that out then!

Vitinha was a standout player in Porto's UEFA youth league winning team, I'm not sure he has anything to learn from playing at this level. If we're happy with his fitness levels he'd just be blocking a player we already own that we could make money on.

Vitinha was a standout player in Porto's UEFA youth league winning team, I'm not sure he has anything to learn from playing at this level. If we're happy with his fitness levels he'd just be blocking a player we already own that we could make money on.
I think like any young player they just want to play and playing minutes are always different to training minutes. This Leeds side is one of the best I've seen at this level and they do have two senior players and two players close to their first team playing so I think the test for Vitinha would be there. The tempo is sky high as you can imagine.

Not sure how Richards kept that out then!
I think he could be a very good championship CB. Big strong and a real head it and kick it player.

On Corbeanu, I think it's instruction for him to stay wide but when he's inside the penalty box lines he comes alive, the through ball for Campbell was very good and he's clearly a step ahead of his team mates in terms of technique.

I think he's wasted out wide and should be central.

Lost 0-2.

Corbeanu and Lonwjik are good players and should be training with the first team on a consistent basis. Cundle was OK. Campbell could be a very good player if he gets himself right.

Started out as 4-3-3 and played very much like Leicester in style with a deep midfielder and two 8's. Campbell and Corbeanu as the wide forwards (too wide and both played far better when tucked in from the touchline).

Moved to 3-5-2 after 65 minutes and promptly played abysmally for the rest of the game.

Leeds with Rodrygo and Beradi along with Poveda in the 2nd half far too good.

The U18's beat Newcastle 2-0 this morning with goals from Hubner and Farmer and are 4th in their Division

That's a shame, the lad seems to have his head screwed on properly.

No Corbeanu for U23s today. (Edit - think he’s with Canada squad)
Think they are playing 352

Carty had a good opportunity (perhaps took it too early). Cundle pulling the strings so far, playing some nice stuff in the middle of the pitch.

(it's on youtube:
)

Back