• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves Academy Thread

Very much, good opportunity fairly local to me.

Gutted for Boukari. How unlucky can you be?

It's desperately unlucky, I'd have really liked to see him and Sako as our flying wingers. I hope he recovers and makes a go of whatever the club can offer him (retraining, non playing).

And fair play YW, I hope all this is useful for you, surely there's an opening now for a SW scout?

Okay, back home now from the game. A decent workout and a decent result for the under 21s.

I missed the first goal, got there five minutes into the game by which time Reid had netted from a Boukari (!) cross. As I arrived Boukari had an effort blocked in the penalty area, from a cross from the right side. We were the side well on top, with decent possession but not creating so much. After 30 minutes, Boukari leaped for a challenge and went down in a heap. It was hard to tell what happened, a Fulham player had clattered him but it might have been as he jumped. On Boukari, he looked OK. He only sprinted once that I can rememer as I mentioned, chasing down cleared corner from our own box, beating a player and playing a lovely pass through to the left. But there was a hesitation to get forward quickly when we broke and you could see it playing on his mind. He was tidy in possession and good in the air. Ten minutes later, a swift counter attack from a Fulham corner put us two nil up. Simpson played the ball down the line to Wallace, who's neat tough around the defender and then cross left Ronan with an easy finish.

The second half was disrupted with another injury. As we broke away in a good position Reid was fouled, a dreadful challenge by the Fulham player. Reid had looked strong in the game, giving the centre backs a real battering and holding the ball up well. Technically he is not fantastic but you can see why he scores goals at this level. It was a shame he got injured, with another few minutes or so stopping the game. This slowed the game down and it became less tidy than the first half, with Fulham enjoying more of the ball in the Wolves half. We still looked threatening on the break, Hunte in particular looking dangerous for us. Flatt made sure of his clean sheet with two excellent stops. The first after a poor kick left his goal exposed and he tipped over the bar to stop the Fulham played who picked up the loose ball scoring. The second a similar, but better and strong stop denying the Fulham's midfielder Smile (yes that is his name). The third and final goal came on the break. O'Hanlon (now on at right back) maintained composure at the back to bring the ball down the right after some frantic play, playing inside to Wallace. Wallace set the ball to Ronan, who switched the ball quickly to Hunte bursting down the left. Hunte got the better of his man, crossing for Wallace who had sprinted half the length of the pitch (and this was the 80th minute) to get on the end of his cross and tap home and complete the scoring.

Flatt - Very vocal, rarely did he stop talking at all though if I was on his team his communication would panic me, the manner he does it. Kicking not great but made two fine saves.

Simpson - quick and decent one v one. Moves the ball quickly but crossing was inconsistent and sometimes got caught out of position. Solid player
Upton - big for an 18 year old. Decent on the ball and strong, so be interesting to see how he develops. Tough ask for him to break into our team though.
Carter - slightly older and think he was captain. Clearly had more game time than Upton but not sure he's not much better but more confident than Upton.
Deslandes - probably the closest out of the young players to the first team due to his position and the lack of back up for Golbourne. He's tidy on the ball, defends well in the air and on the floor. I wonder if his strong position is in the middle because he sometimes gets sucked into the middle slightly. But I like him as a left back and can see him getting an opportunity at some point.

Saville - I can't work him out. The intensity of the game wasn't that high being an under 21s game but whenever I watch him he looks good on the ball but without a change of pace and cutting pass that influences the game.
Rowe - Ran a lot. Kicked Hyndmann a lot. Gave away the ball a lot.

Wallace - can tell he still needs games as he doesn't quite look to have the burst of acceleration his game when taking on the defenders and looked visibly tired at times in the second half. But showed good determination to get on the end of the cross for the third and set up a goal, so I imagine he will be happy with his game.
Ronan - Still has some developing to do (physically and mentally) but boy does he have talent. His back heels and first time flicks to open up space are joyful to watch and despite being tiny, he doesn't let that have a detrimental effect to his game. Off the ball he buzzes around the ball and is a pain in the neck for the opposition, whilst on the ball he shields the ball so well.
Boukari - as mentioned, tidy on the ball, didn't want to sprint. I do feel sorry for him, yes he earns a lot of money but imagine being a footballer and not being able to play? It must hurt a lot.

Reid - decent for this level but can't see him progressing much further. Lots of goals so far this season mind so maybe he will prove me wrong

subs

Hunte I like him a lot. Tricky individual with an eye for a good pass and burst of acceleration to beat a man. People have seemingly questioned his attitude but he worked tirelessly today. He looks like the type who needs games at a first team level and I hope he gets it here to be honest.
Wilson - Quick, and showed flashes of individual skill so you can see why he is rated. Didn't see a lot of the ball as he played in the period where Fulham controlled the game better
O'Hanlon - Forced to play right back to cover the injured Simpson. Played pretty well, he's a good footballer and communicated well to the players in front of him when out of possession.

Thank you for the time and effort you put in to that post.

It's desperately unlucky, I'd have really liked to see him and Sako as our flying wingers. I hope he recovers and makes a go of whatever the club can offer him (retraining, non playing).

And fair play YW, I hope all this is useful for you, surely there's an opening now for a SW scout?

It was good to get a feel for that level, as I've seen those games on tv but not been to one where you can really see what the intensity, or lack of it, is like. My mates want to go to Southampton u21 games this year so I'm definitely going to use them to help myself.

The Fulham massacre update.

Hot on the heals of Boukaris awful news, Bradley Reid confirms he broke his Fibula with added ligament damage.

Poor sod. Had a superb start to the season.

That's a terrible injury, always hard to say how he'll fare after recovery from a fibula break.

Lunchtime kick off at Telford today
Wolves Under-21s are taking on Burnley today in a friendly game being played at Telford’s New Bucks Head Stadium.
With the team not having any league fixtures during the international break, the game will provide a vital runout ahead of Saturday’s Under-21 fixture against West Bromwich Albion at Molineux (3pm).
Kick off is at 1pm and the game is open to the public.
Admission is as per normal Under-21 league games at Telford – free for Wolves’ Season Ticket Holders and members otherwise £5 for adults, £3 concessions and £1 Under-16s.
SQUAD: Flatt, Burgoyne, Matinyadze, O’Hanlon, Upton, Carter, Leak, Johnson, Weeks, Harris, Ronan, Rainey, Bancessi, Hunte, Graham, Wilson, Ennis.

Source

Awesome. Our U21s have been drawn away to Stourbridge in the first round of the Birmingham Senior Cup :D

Wolves U21s vs West Brom U21s

If your not going to Bolton to watch the 1st team why not entertain yourself with the U21 Black Country Derby this Saturday 12th September to take place at Molineux

Kick Off 3pm

free for Wolves’ Season Ticket Holders and members otherwise £5 for adults, £3 concessions and £1 Under-16s

It appears that Chelsea and Cty are interested in Niall Ennis

On the one hand an easy story to make up, on the other perfectly believable, Brown from Albion to Chelsea as the perfect example. If he stays I hope he's the new Steve Bull, If he goes then the new Daniel Nardiello

With Reid's injury (out for the season I believe) then he has a chance of getting into our first team squad at some point in the nearish future. Sellars has already said that either he or Wilson will be playing for the U21s now.

Inevitable that someone who has scored so many goals will attract some interest I suppose.

Wilson and Ennis are both very young, so for us to be considering them for the u21s is very impressive. Ennis would be foolish to leave at this point

Back